GP Shift upgrade free

ShawnB

GP shift on a 2015 RC/Duke 390

I like gp/reverse shifting on my race bikes and while I was waiting for my rear sets to come in the mail I did a few track days testing recently and wanted to covert to GP shift, here’s how I did it without buying any parts.

Remove the small sprocket cover (left side of bike next to shifter) 3 8mm bolts I believe

You need to cut the cover to make room for the shifter, as you’ll be reinstalling upside down.

What I did was take a piece of masking tape an put it on the cover to guide me as I cut. I just used a grinder with a quick swift cut.

Remove the adjustable shift tension rod (you will need to modify this part and make it shorter)
Remove the shift lever which connects to the shift shaft

Flip the shift lever upside down and put it on the shift shaft. Make sure that it is facing straight up or the shifting won’t be good and positive on both the upshift and downshift equally.

Now for sizing your cut on the shift tension lever hold it up to where you would like to position you shift foot control and mark where you'll be making you cuts. Cut equal amounts on both sides.

I had to cut off about 1/2 inch on each side for a perfect fit. In order for it to fit you need to remove the lock holding nuts. Or you can order a new shift tension lever that is the size you need. They cost about $10-$20 typically.

Cut with a grinder, or a hacksaw, or dremmel or whatever and smooth off the edges of your cut.

Install on foot control side then the shift shaft side.

Check everything for fitment and smooth shifting (I did this on a stand rather than riding it around before I locked everything down) It’s a good idea to use locktite blue medium. Reinstall the cut sprocket cover to finish the project.

That’s it, now you have GP shift. I tested on the track a couple of times and it worked great 1 up and 5 down. just make sure that you torque down the shift tension lever securely since there are no longer locking nuts on there with the mod, and use some locktite blue.

If you have please ask or message me.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 2.54.15 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-05-02 at 3.09.31 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Izu

I think this can be done without any cutting at all, I am going to do this soon, maybe two weeks later. I'll let you know if I was successful

I did the same. It touches the cover, so I trimmed it at a later time. You don't HAVE to trim however.

Last edited: