GP Suspension 25mm Cartridge Fork Oil Height?

Smr.111

Country flag
Anyone with the GP Suspension 25mm cartridge kit have specs for the oil height? Was getting ready to install them, however, GP didn’t provide me any specs with the cartridges. Even worse they’re closed for the holidays till Jan 2! Just need a ballpark. I’d like to get them installed while I’m off for the holidays. Also, any torque values would be appreciated.

avs

Country flag
I got a spec sheet after requesting it. 170mm with the spring preload tube installed 5wt motored which seems very close to 7.5 maxima
If you pm your email l can send you a sheet tonight

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I spoke with a tech today for about 20 minutes, and he recommended 160mm as a typical starting point. But he said you can go far higher than that if you know you want little or no air spring. He said some racers go with very, very little oil.

Smr.111

Country flag
I spoke with a tech today for about 20 minutes, and he recommended 160mm as a typical starting point. But he said you can go far higher than that if you know you want little or no air spring. He said some racers go with very, very little oil.

Thanks! Just to clarify, when you say some racers are going “with very, very little oil’-Do you mean they are running a greater than 160mm (ie 170 or 180) oil height with a significant air spring?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Thanks! Just to clarify, when you say some racers are going “with very, very little oil’-Do you mean they are running a greater than 160mm (ie 170 or 180) oil height with a significant air spring?
They are running far more than 180. I recall simpletty writing in another thread (different brand cartridge but same principle) that he runs 345mm. The less oil, the more air. The more air, the less air spring effect since the air has more space in which to compress. Some advanced riders (I am not one btw) dislike air spring because it is non-linear; they want the suspension to behave the same throughout its travel.

Smr.111

Country flag
They are running far more than 180. I recall simpletty writing in another thread (different brand cartridge but same principle) that he runs 345mm. The less oil, the more air. The more air, the less air spring effect since the air has more space in which to compress. Some advanced riders (I am not one btw) dislike air spring because it is non-linear; they want the suspension to behave the same throughout its travel.
Thank you sir! I wonder if they are running heavier springs to compensate for the reduced air spring effect? Regardless, I can go ahead and install mine now. I appreciate the help.