GPS ram mount question.

aj@x

Guy's i am looking for a good location to mount 1inch ball ram mount for my gps. I have decided to use the top handlebar yoke clamp bolt that clamps the very top clamp around the fork tube.

Could you tell me in that bolt is M8 or M10? i didn't want to go yanking it out more times than i have to to find out the precise size knowing someone could probably tell me.

I was originally thinking of pulling the stem bolt and having that drilled and tapped, but just trying to make it easier on myself by going the above alternate route.

Thank you :)

Treachery

Country flag
I haven't looked at the spacing, but you might be able to get a mount that uses the two clamp bolts for the mirrror/lever perch mount.

aj@x

Yeah pretty sure the one Ram makes would fit that position actually.

I spent a about 10mins this arvo hovering my gps unit of the bars...lol and to be honest i don't think i'll be happy unless i do drill and tap the headstem bolt. Should be pretty easy and i'll buy the spare bolt to do it with is $18 just in case things don't work out. It's a weird looking bolt, have not tried yet but am hoping a normal socket will fit but something tells me i am going to need some special tool to remove and reinstall that nut. I'm a car dude and this is my first bike, there are a few things that are new to my eyes...;)

Willasan

I was just thinking about this the other day, I decided to try the M8 handlebar bolt mount on the RC. It works excellent. It's a perfect fit on the left triple tree, and I can mount both my phone or GoPro to it nicely. It doesn't block the dash at all, and I can get the key in and out with no problem. With the medium extension (not pictured) the GoPro may come into contact with my helmet in a full tuck as I am fairly tall. With the small extension (pictured) I don't see any problems. Going to try out the GoPro this weekend and see how the vibration is.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U

20150804_163719.jpg20150804_165102.jpg20150804_165113.jpg20150804_165144.jpg

I'm not sure why all the pictures got flipped sideways..but I think you get the idea.

aj@x

I've just bought the same M8 kit after seeing your photo's, thanks mate :) I will be using mine for mounting gopro and sometimes my navman, i may even buy another kit for the other side so i can mount both side by side which would be pretty cool for longer rides i think.

Willasan

I've just bought the same M8 kit after seeing your photo's, thanks mate :) I will be using mine for mounting gopro and sometimes my navman, i may even buy another kit for the other side so i can mount both side by side which would be pretty cool for longer rides i think.

I'm thinking about getting a second kit for the other side as well. Good stuff.

octaneguy

That looks like a great location. What are you guys doing for power? I bought the KTM accessory port and found what I thought was a cig lighter socket wasn't so had to replace it with a U.S. Cig lighter socket but looking for the ideal location still.

msquared

You can remove it with a standard socket if you have one that is large enough, or you can do what I did and use a pair of channel locks and it comes right off.

It's a weird looking bolt, have not tried yet but am hoping a normal socket will fit but something tells me i am going to need some special tool to remove and reinstall that nut.

Grove

Anybody have tips on how to safety wire the MNNTHBX RAM ball?

I'm thinking, drilling the post just below the ball. Not sure if I should/ can drill twice (ie cross-drilled), or just once.

Last edited: