Handlebars and Heel Plates

SPG

I finally got a little time to play in the shop and snap a couple of pictures as well. Here is the clip-on stub removal and also some replacement heel plates for the PP rearsets. They are a little agricultural, but finally I can smash my foot against the heel plates and not have them squirm around!

Enjoy!
-Sean

Attachments

• image(3).jpg
    image(3).jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 365
  • image(4).jpg
    image(4).jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 351
  • image(5).jpg
    image(5).jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 328
  • image(6).jpg
    image(6).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 788
  • image(7).jpg
    image(7).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,269

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Looks great. (Both) I'm curious, is it possible after milling the triple, to mount the clip-on above it?

SPG

Only if the forks were put waaayyy up in the triples. Wonky handling for sure.

That said, I know Woodcraft makes Ninja 250 clipons which clamp below the triple but have risers and bars above. They may have some options like that for the larger 51mm fork tubes as well...

-Sean

DCMoney

Country flag
Only if the forks were put waaayyy up in the triples. Wonky handling for sure.

That said, I know Woodcraft makes Ninja 250 clipons which clamp below the triple but have risers and bars above. They may have some options like that for the larger 51mm fork tubes as well...

-Sean

51mm clipon risers exist. The triple tree would have to be modified like above for these to work though.

Woodcraft Race 1" Riser Clip on Handle Bars 51mm Handlebar | eBay

DCMoney

Country flag
Thanks DC! THIS is exactly what I had in mind. I plan to mill my triple and I'm afraid that standard clip-ons would be far too low for everyday riding.

I'm running standard no rise clipons and it feels fine, but mine is just a race bike though.

If you want to take a gamble there's china versions for a fraction of the cost.

51mm High Lift 1" Riser Clip on Handlebar Fit 05 08 09 Aprilia RSVR RSV1000R | eBay

I have a standard set of china ones on my 390 currently, only thing I did was replace the hardware (bolts) with good quality bolts. Other than that for $50 I can't tell a difference.

Ash797

I finally got a little time to play in the shop and snap a couple of pictures as well. Here is the clip-on stub removal and also some replacement heel plates for the PP rearsets. They are a little agricultural, but finally I can smash my foot against the heel plates and not have them squirm around!

Enjoy!
-Sean

Nice man, how'd you mount your GPX pro?

SPG

Nice man, how'd you mount your GPX pro?

I removed the ignition switch and cut out a flat piece of aluminum which bolts to the former ignition mounting points.

i also made another piece which mounts to the same bolts and holds the toggle switch below the ignition hole.

The GPX is velcroed to the aluminum plate and is quite secure, somewhat vibration isolated, and easy to move to my other bikes.

-Sean

SPG

Thanks DC! THIS is exactly what I had in mind. I plan to mill my triple and I'm afraid that standard clip-ons would be far too low for everyday riding.

Looking at the WC 51mm clipons, they seem to use the same bolt pattern on the riser as the Ninjette 2 inch risers. Woodcraft also makes a 10mm spacer to move the riser forward for more clearance. I'm sure that you could call WC and order the 51mm clamp, the 2 inch risers, and the 10mm spacers and be good to go!
-Sean

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Looking at the WC 51mm clipons, they seem to use the same bolt pattern on the riser as the Ninjette 2 inch risers. Woodcraft also makes a 10mm spacer to move the riser forward for more clearance. I'm sure that you could call WC and order the 51mm clamp, the 2 inch risers, and the 10mm spacers and be good to go!
-Sean

Thank you SPG. I appreciate this. My arms are already nearly straight with the standard bars. I'm definitely going to look into this.

SPG

Thank you SPG. I appreciate this. My arms are already nearly straight with the standard bars. I'm definitely going to look into this.

Another possible solution: Check to see if the triple tree is the same part number on the RC and the Duke... If so, then the offset of the top clamp should be the same. You could then put a Duke top clamp on your bike and put some conventional bars of your choosing on. This would give nearly unlimited options of hand positions and probably be cheaper.

-Sean

Treachery

Country flag
I can't be sure, but I seem to remember that the offset is different on the Duke. I'm sure you can look it up.

Arahant

Country flag
I'm looking to rise the handlebars on my 390.. looking at my different options... kinda makes it hard because the handlebar are built right into the triple... I don't really want to mill the stock positions out for clip-ons incase I wanted to switch it back or sell it.

Seems to me that what needs to happen is something that goes in the stock bar opening that goes up however much rise you want which you can attach another piece of bar to or something. What I'm wondering is if something like this would work: Rox Speed FX 2? Black Pivoting Handlebar Risers | 503-427 | J&P Cycles

The bottom part would go in where the stock opening is, and then you just attach the bars back up to the top part... would this work? If not anyone have any idea's?

Thanks