High temp warning

grinder96

Country flag
Went to the track last sunday and got the "high temp" warning on the dash at speed. My 2017 RC's temp gauge has always (from new) sat just below "High" which I never liked. It likes to run and will drop a bar while in motion. So this last Sunday at the track it goes up a bar instead of down and gives me the warning. I have it home and checked the oil and filters...all good. dropped the coolant, good and checked the water pump impeller, good. I am at a loss as to the increase in temp.
Mods include:
Tyga high exhaust
PCV with auto tune
spal 5.2 puller fan (I can hear it come on but shouldn't be needed at speed anyways)
helux 1.6 radiator cap
Belray "moto chill" engine coolant

I would love it if the engine were a bar or 2 below "H" but it has never done THIS before
I dont know what else to look for...thoughts????

1JZSupra

Country flag
Is this bike frequently tracked? I would imagine this is the first time you have had this issue? It seems like you have a lot of the correct modifications to help combat the heat issue. The only thing that comes to mind is the lack of airflow and reduced airflow while cornering. I have a 1st gen duke and I don't seem to go past the 2 bars from the end. Based on my data logging I at speed the bike is usually around 186*F, but at idle with heat soak it'll jump to 204*F before the fan kicks on.

grinder96

Country flag
It is 50/50 track. Actually probably more track then street. It did sit for about 4 months since my last outing on it (it is not my only bike). YES, as I mentioned it always ran close to hot but this is the first time it has ever gotten to the H zone and triggered the "high temp" warning. It was only one bar in and never turned itself off. I will probably put a temp gauge on to know the actual numbers instead of a bar graph but still not sure as to why nor where to look next for this episode.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
  • Clogged radiator or water jacket (unlikely)
  • Bad thermostat
  • Low coolant level
  • Bad temp sensor
  • Overly aggressive fueling or timing
Presumably the fan shroud was discarded with the SPAL install.

grinder96

Country flag
  • Clogged radiator or water jacket (unlikely)
  • Bad thermostat
  • Low coolant level
  • Bad temp sensor
  • Overly aggressive fueling or timing
Presumably the fan shroud was discarded with the SPAL install.
I am going to safely say no to clogged water jacket
I am contemplating completely removing the thermostat at this point. I don't ride this bike in the cold.
coolant was up
possible....I can check it
Map was given to me with the PCV so unless the auto tune is going crazy I don't think so
Yes, shroud is gone

Thanks for all the thoughts!

1JZSupra

Country flag
Do you have a way to see what your AFRS are looking like? What kind of coolant are you running? I'm running 100% Pure engine ice on my 16 duke.

grinder96

Country flag
I am running bel ray moto chill......

But I had an epic breakthrough or well at least a road to pursue....When I was loading the bike the night before the track it had a dead battery. I did not think a think of it but maybe, just maybe the PCV reverted to original specs or checked out of the system and I was running lean the whole morning (I only road the morning). That is what I am going to look at this weekend. It makes the most sense at this point!