Hit Air Bag Vest Tether Installed on Tyga CF Tail

octaneguy

Recently on a canyon ride with some buddies, a good friend of mine crashed hard with a concussion after hitting a pot hole on the outside of a turn forcing him to hit the side of the mountain. After the ambulance came and took him to the ER, I'm certain the cost of that accident along with months of rehabilitation, not being able to work, discomfort and so forth is worth the $600 price for an airbag vest that may have prevented some of his injuries. Over the past several years, I've kept tabs on motorcycle air bag technology but they were about expensive racer suits with immense technology and high costs to purchase and repack them after a deployment. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are several companies producing less expensive mechanically activated airbags. My choices came down to Helite and Hit Air. I went with Hit Air because they had a vest designed for track riders/racers. The difference being the tether is positioned on the back of the vest in the center along with the C02 cartridge and air valve assembly. The Helite had better protection but with the assemblies up front, they can get in the way in a full tuck as well as the tether being to one side rather than the rear. After reading countless posts on forums, it seemed that track day riders started with the better protection and later upgraded to the Racer Vests, so I decided to start there.

This is what the vest looks like over my gear. I'm wearing an Alpinestars chest and back protector as well and this is a size Large vest. I would have gotten a red or black one but they were out of stock.
IMG_5352.jpg

This is the vest from the front
IMG_1123.jpg

This is what the vest looks like when I'm on the bike
IMG_5728_diagram.jpg

This is what the tether looks like when I'm standing on the pegs..proper install says there should be no slack this way.
IMG_8058_diagram.jpg

I drilled two holes in my Tyga cf tail. I drilled from the bottom to the top. I needed two grommets. I widened the bottom hole with a step drill so I could adjust the angle of travel of the wire in case I didn't drill it precisely.
IMG_1277.jpg

Under the tail, this is what the wire looks like. I had to loosen the nuts and grind the plastic a little for clearance.
IMG_4400.jpg

I bought some rubber gaskets from my local Ace Hardware, one is included in the kit which I used for the top of the tail, and found a larger one for the bottom. This way the tether cannot be cut when under tension.

isaac_

Nice write up. Way to take initiative and protect yourself. I would add to your to-do checking the age of your lid, and maybe upgrading if necessary. A hit air will minimize injury to your body but you can still manage to hit your head. And they only deploy if the cord is yanked with so much force? So your head is still vulnerable. Concussions can happen at slow speeds too. Ask me how I know [emoji17] or maybe I don't since I don't remember that day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diploman

Kudos for taking advantage of advancing protective technology! The Hit Air is a nice piece of gear. Hopefully you won't have to test it in action....

I have been thinking about a Helite. My current opinion is that it would be a bit redundant since I wear this Forcefield armored shirt under my jacket. The shirt has both back and chest protectors, as well as shoulder and elbow armor, all held tightly into the exact position they need to be. The Helite is still tempting, however. This is encouraging that affordable airbag technology is now hitting the mass market. Nice photo-documented writeup!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-pro-shirt-x-v

octaneguy

Well if you end up separating from your bike, it will deploy, that's why it needs to be installed properly. There have been cases where they didn't deploy in a low side, but it also wasn't needed. If you end up going over in a high side, you will want the protection for sure. Good point about the helmet though. The air bag vest doesn't guarantee that you won't be injured but it certainly won't hurt and based on people that are using them, they swear by it and no longer ride without one, so that's a pretty good testimonial.

Nice write up. Way to take initiative and protect yourself. I would add to your to-do checking the age of your lid, and maybe upgrading if necessary. A hit air will minimize injury to your body but you can still manage to hit your head. And they only deploy if the cord is yanked with so much force? So your head is still vulnerable. Concussions can happen at slow speeds too. Ask me how I know [emoji17] or maybe I don't since I don't remember that day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

octaneguy

Agreed. I like the Helite. It was a tough call. One thing armor won't do is stabilize your neck when you are thrown to the ground. It's also additional protection even if you have padding or armor. Imagine going over a car or hitting a guard rail. Since my main use for my RC is track riding and minimal day to day or canyon rides, I'm thinking the Hit Air is a decent solution for me.

Thanks for the kind words!

Richard
Kudos for taking advantage of advancing protective technology! The Hit Air is a nice piece of gear. Hopefully you won't have to test it in action....

I have been thinking about a Helite. My current opinion is that it would be a bit redundant since I wear this Forcefield armored shirt under my jacket. The shirt has both back and chest protectors, as well as shoulder and elbow armor, all held tightly into the exact position they need to be. The Helite is still tempting, however. This is encouraging that affordable airbag technology is now hitting the mass market. Nice photo-documented writeup!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-pro-shirt-x-v