How much engine oil????

Zigoron

Guys, how much engine oil should I fill up during an oil change on 2017 RC 390. On the manual it says 1.6L, my dealer fills 1.5L and some people say they fill upto 1.9L, what should I follow. Thanks!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Edwardp33

Country flag
I have consistently followed the manual and measure 1.6L. I never want to overfill any of my engines with oil. I had one oil change by a dealer where they overfilled the oil. As soon as I trailered the bike home I rant it up to operating temp, caught it immediatey, removed the excess. Make sure you measure bike level at operative temp.

bike has 10,000 hard miles on it - track time and I have blown the head gasket
so far I’m pretty happy with this little single

isaac_

As long as you’re in the between the lines on the sight glass when the bike is straight up and down and off any stands, you’ll be fine. But make sure you warm it up after you fill and let it settle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 452

Why do so many people on this forum and the Duke forum say the manual lists 1.6L when it clearly states 1.7L (1.8 qt.)?!? I have 22K miles on my bike and have changed & checked the oil at least 50 times using the method outlined in the manual and 1.77L (or 60 ounces on my measuring cup) fills it up to the high mark. I also tilt my bike way over to the left and to the right when draining the oil to get as much as the old oil out before refilling so that could could account for the 0.07L increase over the manual's suggested volume.

Edwardp33

Country flag
93764c3d-3c9f-4dff-9898-80a78b678c4b

Attachments

• 1.6L.jpg
    1.6L.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 472
D

Deleted member 452

Well that's strange- Look what's on page 165 of my manual...Capture.JPG

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It has a slight glass for a reason, USE it, never fill by quantity. Buy 2 liters for a service, use as needed. Do not get hung up on volume.

D

Deleted member 452

And that's exactly how I came to the conclusion that 60 ounces = full on my bike (using KTM's recommended procedure for checking many times).

D

Deleted member 452

The manual says 1.6 litres or 1.7 Quarts (US).

Not in my manual. Are you guys looking at the owner's manual or the service manual? The screenshot that I posted earlier in the thread was taken from the service manual.

Izu

My manual says 1.5L of 10W/50 even the grade is different. This is for 2017 model, maybe its different for different manufacturing years?

Edwardp33

Country flag
I agree with the sight glass approach. I measure 1.6 L, run the bike up to temp, set it level and upright and check the sight glass. The 2 times I had the dealer do the oil change I brought it home, ran it up to temp, checked the sight glass and removed the excess oil.

Seth

Country flag
An amusing oil story. My neighbor who is a mechanic said he saw the neighbor down the street with the hood up on his newer F150. He walked over and asked "what cha doing"? The guy says "I'm topping off my oil". To my neighbors shock the guy really topped it off...... By filling the oil all the way to the top of the oil cap cover.

I was shocked when he told me this. He then told me people do the unimaginable. He said a lady brought in a Honda Civic to the shop and complained about a noisy engine. They asked.. When was the last time you had the oil changed? She replied " I bought this car 8 years ago and never had it changed. Why would I need to do that?

Ok, back to the question. I agree with Edward at 1.6L

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

My owner's manual shows the same amount as my repair manual: 1.7L (1.8Qts). The stator cover changed in 2017 so that could explain a change on new bikes...

20180314_173957.jpg

D

Deleted member 452

I also just looked at a 2017 390 Duke owner's manual online and it shows 1.7L (1.8 Qts) so it seems like KTM is recommending a little less oil in RCs. We can rule out the 2016 stator design change since 2017 Dukes have the new stator. Duke's have been using 3-spring slipper clutches since 2015 so maybe our clutch assemblies displace less oil than RC's non-slipper clutch 5-spring unit?

Izu

I also just looked at a 2017 390 Duke owner's manual online and it shows 1.7L (1.8 Qts) so it seems like KTM is recommending a little less oil in RCs. We can rule out the 2016 stator design change since 2017 Dukes have the new stator. Duke's have been using 3-spring slipper clutches since 2015 so maybe our clutch assemblies displace less oil than RC's non-slipper clutch 5-spring unit?

The Dukes and RCs both came out with slipper clutches in 2016 in India, I am very sure about this.

NickNZ

Have just done oil and filter change on new 2018 RC at 240km (having read the horror stories on this forum). Handbook says 1.7 lt, actually took 1.8 lt to just below top mark. As an aside, got some pretty glitter out with the oil but nothing scary for a first change.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
The Owners Manual for my 2016 RC390 says 1.7L or 1.8 Qt. I did my 600 mile service yesterday, and it took 1.9L to get the level just below the midpoint between the marks. This was after tilting the bike to ensure a complete drain, and then running it for 15 minutes after installing 1.7 L of fresh oil, and then checking the level. I guess there is some variation, though I'm not sure how it could vary that much. On the way to 1.9L, I added oil in 100cc increments, running the engine for about a minute before checking the level again and adding more oil.

Last edited:

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
The Owners Manual for my 2016 RC390 says 1.7L or 1.8 Qt. I did my 600 mile service yesterday, and it took 1.9L to get the level just below the midpoint between the marks. This was after tilting the bike to ensure a complete drain, and then running it for 15 minutes after installing 1.7 L of fresh oil, and then checking the level. I guess there is some variation, though I'm not sure how it could vary that much. On the way to 1.9L, I added oil in 100cc increments, running the engine for about a minute before checking the level again and adding more oil.

After letting it settle overnight, I again warmed up the engine, waited a minute, then observed the level. It is still just below the midpoint. So I am calling it good, though I still wonder why mine seems to have taken more than the specified amount... unless it was because I tilted the bike to drain more of the old oil than would have come out if I had just followed the written instructions. That does seem plausible because I certainly did get a lot more oil out of the engine that way.