How to choose the correct gearing for road racing.

This may be a little odd as I'm not sure even how to ask the question correctly.
First off I'll say, "I understand set up is always a compromise, if I set gearing to optimize one part of a track, it may detract from another".

I'm a club racer and basically all my riding is done at one track.
I believe I should prioritize my gearing to be most effective on the tracks longest straight.
I have no idea where to start.
Do I just change gearing in small increments and see what gives me the best lap times?

Sorry for what seems to me like a vague question, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

This may be a little odd as I'm not sure even how to ask the question correctly.
First off I'll say, "I understand set up is always a compromise, if I set gearing to optimize one part of a track, it may detract from another".

I'm a club racer and basically all my riding is done at one track.
I believe I should prioritize my gearing to be most effective on the tracks longest straight.
I have no idea where to start.
Do I just change gearing in small increments and see what gives me the best lap times?

Sorry for what seems to me like a vague question, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Are you topping out 6th on the longest straight? If so, maybe gear up a bit, 44T or 43T depending on your weight and bikes power.

I find 1st gear to be laughably short, almost useless. I am going to try 44T or 43T.

Are you topping out 6th on the longest straight? If so, maybe gear up a bit, 44T or 43T depending on your weight and bikes power.

I find 1st gear to be laughably short, almost useless. I am going to try 44T or 43T.

No, not topping out in 6th.
I'm pretty heavy.