I love it, but hate it even more.

helpbago

So, I got my bike from the dealer on April 15th. Awesome bike, but it all began with the putting my insurance card under the seat. Went to put the seat back on, and the right side plastic seat clip is broken. Ordered new seat, covered by warranty. That was back ordered and had no idea when it would get in. Got it replace Last Friday, May 20th, Over a month with a faulty seat, when the dealer received a 2016 model in, and yes, the seat has more padding than the 2015 model seats, not much, but enough to make a difference. Just a couple of days after getting the bike, I had another problem, the Coolant reserve tank was broken and wasn't providing a vacuum to the radiator, the top hose along with the nipple was broken off and not allowing the coolant to cycle if needed. Over heated, that was replaced within 2 days of ordering, covered by warranty. No problems with it, that is till it came time to do the first service. Top bolt on the left side fairing, completely stripped out before even getting it past a quarter turn to the left. Went through 8 drill bits and 2 easy outs. Oil changed and everything that I could get my hands on with out damaging something else on accident was loosened and then re-tightened to a much better torque level. That was all done Around May 7th. Since than, its been 2 weeks, had to order new kick stand bolts. Got those replaced and put back in with lock-tight. Same day those were replaced, the magnetic safety sensor on the kick stand sheered off when my wrench hit it when I was tightening the kick stand bolts. Bike can't be ridden and is in the shop for probable a week or two, depends on when they can get to it. I've also righted all the bolts on the engine case 2-3 times, along with all the bolts on the fairings. Right fairing at the top, shakes and raddles at low RPMs along with the center console. Breaks have this awful squeaking, before and after service. I've started to get very hard kicks when shifting into first and second gear. I really love this bike, it handles awesome in both the city and on highway. Excellent acceleration braking power, and just no stop fun. But at this point in time, I'm having to spend more time worrying about something falling off, or a bolt coming loose than I am on where we're going riding this weekend. My friends Honda CBR300 only has 800 miles on it, did the service at 650, and he hasn't had any problems with his bike what so ever. I'm really starting to think that maybe these bikes aren't built that very well and I should just start looking at other options. i just want some other opinions from people that own the same bike and have had it for sometime before I pull the trigger.

zaster

Country flag
It all depends on what you want and expect from a motorcycle.
Owned a Japanese bike which was very reliable but only got ridden an average of 1K miles per year.
Then I bought an Italian sports bike (not known for its reliability) and clocked 8K miles per year.
Fun factor vs. reliability.......your call ;)

joshg43

I haven't had any problems besides a little rattling in the plastics. I have about 3,000 miles on it now. Shifting is a little stiff but it has been since day one and I've ridden worse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ToraTora

Country flag
Its a poorly made bike. KTM should be ashamed of what they did with this thing. Not built to a japanese bikes standards. Mine is still sitting apart at the dealers with 671 km on it. Maybe the warranty will run out before I have a chance to ride it.

Posted this in another thread, but just to make sure you see it. You don't list were you live so this may not effect you. In the Republic of California time spent in the shop extends the warranty by the same amount of time.

Also, after three repairs the fourth one triggers the lemon law, and you can actually request a replacement. Be prepared to fight for it though!

With regards to standards--you didn't pay $10K for this bike, so you really can't expect it to be a $10K bike. Even the Japanese stopped building their lower priced bikes. Those are now built in other countries. It's sad, but because of SPS no one builds a small displacement bike with the better parts. Cagiva came pretty damn close with the Mito, and they did make the SP parts available which actually let you get very close to a properly built bike. But until we get beyond this mentality of small bike small price we just can't expect to get the high end quality out of these low priced bikes.

Last edited:

Duker

I honestly don't get it. The KTM's around me are actually a bit more expensive (even more so used) then the R3's or N300 for example. Is there a detail i'm missing xD

ToraTora

Country flag
The 80/80 Principle

If you look at how the Japanese bikes are built you'll see there are major differences in the philosophies. The Japanese bikes are based on designs and tech from the 70's. They still don't employ radial brakes, they still don't employ inverted forks, aluminum swing arms (except maybe the Yamaha), their frames are very old school (they use plastic to cover up the frames, and make them appear to be modern designs), etc. They are all gussied up in fancy plastics, but the overall bike isn't even on the same level with regards to design.

The reason they do this is the 80/80 principal. The Japanese feel that if they give you 80 percent of what you want for 80 percent of the price you'll buy their product. It's a very successful ploy. Look at how they dominate the auto and moto industries with this tactic. But you have to ask yourself are you an 80/80 guy?

2016-Yamaha-YZF-R320-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-002.jpg

honda%20cbr300%20right.jpg

2013-kaw-ninja300-so-side.jpg

1440824d1447781561-2016-ktm-rc-390-unveiled-eicma-2016ktmrc3904.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-Yamaha-YZF-R320-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-002.jpg
    2016-Yamaha-YZF-R320-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-002.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 731

Dygear

For me it's 100/100, I paid 100%, but got 100% of the bike I've wanted. So far, fingers crossed it's not put a foot wrong. So to everyone reading this, it's not all bad.

reenmachine

Country flag
For me it's 100/100, I paid 100%, but got 100% of the bike I've wanted. So far, fingers crossed it's not put a foot wrong. So to everyone reading this, it's not all bad.

+1. I paid more OTD than probably anyone on here and I'm thrilled with the bike.

Rcdan

Me as well, I only have 1k and a month on it. But happier with this one than the last 2 or 3 new bikes I have bought. Wanted a moto3 bike for the street and this is probably the closest thing yet.

Metals 907

I love mine. 3500 miles in under two months. Aside of regular maintenance, no real problems. Buzzing plastic is kind of a gimme for a high revving little thumper. ( reminds me of my old honda 110 three wheeler ) .

ray

The RC is purely a buy it-race it/trash it bike..and it costs only about that much.

Metals 907

I wouldn't say Trash it.......more like buy it, ride it like you stole it. Fix flaws and maintain. Have a blast!

Only bike I've had more fun on was an early 80'start fat tired honda 50. Rally in the woods, get stuck, pick it up and continue on.

ToraTora

Country flag
Here's a fun video review of the Honda. At the end of the video Nami (the girl riding the bike) say that she wonders why Honda didn't make the gas cap non-removable since the removable one is such an inconvenient design. That's an easy answer. 80/80.

[video=youtube;jrnxTEeqbqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrnxTEeqbqk[/video]​

Metals 907

I rode a cbr250r for my MSF course. What a blast!

It is what I ended up pining for ( small bike hooliganism) while riding my F4I.