ignition / engine cut out issue

mr-fabricator

My RC has developed a ignition fault for the first time in its flawless first 4000k's.

When riding hard and u hit 10k it dies , not hitting a rev limit but just cuts the ignition Completely

Takes a minuite to start again . When excellerating say in third its very sluggish , and its cut out a few times average revs while cornering . !! All was fine until today?

Its my track bike and like i say its been flawless untill today .

Was sat in the paddock and bikes warmed up nice .

Hit the track and it cuts out high in the rev range about 10k , i have a rev limit of 11k so its under this .

Sat on the bike and revving it, its fine , rev and bounce off the limiter while static its fine , cold start fine , hot start fine .

under load ,,,,,, not so fine . Every time i get near to my shift revs it dies and it also cuts out mid corner wich is less than entertaining at 45 degrees lean on a single cylinder bike !!

Grrrrrr , ive done a bit to the bike but this has just jumped out ??

Between last track outing and todays ive put on the arrow exhaust but cant see this causing the issue , yeah ot may run a little different but physically dying on me ? Dont think an exhaust swap would do that . Also the bike has run standard muffler , straight through pipe and stock with cat removed , all configurations fine and again this leads me to think the exhaust swap is not to blame .

plug ??
Fuel ??
Wiring issue ??

A friend with a duke 390 said roll over sensor fault but im.not convinced as its not random exactly . Somethingbis causing this and im buggered if i know .

One last thought , valve clearences ?????

Thanks in advance . Lee

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Several things. How do you "know" it's an ignition problem and not fuel? I would remove piggy back and ride to verify its not the issue, easiest and first thing to always check. I would think the rollover sensor would throw a check engine light (I haven't checked on this model yet) but most others will so it would be a tell tell sign. If sluggish accelerating in say 3rd under a load I doubt even more it's the tip over sensor (you're below the 10k issue. I will almost bet money the Powertronics is the culprit. Remove and report. Do you remember how the bike ran without it? You'll be back to 10k rev limit, and fueling will be semi-wrong with stock map. Depending on outcome we'll reevaluate!

mr-fabricator

Thanks chad , that was my thoughts and will disengage the ecu first , if i do find that the problem persists do you know if un plugging the roll over sensor will disable it , or if it relies on a closed connection would bridging it work . Cant remember exactly but im sure its s 2 wire plug .

Thanks lee

mr-fabricator

update for all

ecu back to stock fault remains
wiring tidied up incase it was picking up interference fault remains
roll over sensor unplugged and bike still runs ???????? plugged it back in and tipped it , rattled it , can t get it to kill the engine ????????? fault remains tho ....
plug swapped out back to standard ( was running irradium ) also blew out the fuel filter fault cleared :) success .....

completely put the bike back together , one more run to confirm , fault remains FFS .... Grrrrrrrr ......

possibly blowing out the filter let more fuel through initially and then clogged up again second confirmation run ??? will order a new fuel filter and try it ,.

it happens occasionally in 2nd gear high in the revs , always in 3rd 4th etc at high revs ..........

I presume their is a high demand for fuel at this point and when its not getting sufficient it kills the engine , an ecu fail safe perhaps , I would think a carby short of fuel is just underpowered , coughs , splutters etc but the RC is fuel injected so just gives up ...

so that's where im at , any thoughts suggestions welcome .

regards lee

s30series

My RC has developed a ignition fault for the first time in its flawless first 4000k's.

When riding hard and u hit 10k it dies , not hitting a rev limit but just cuts the ignition Completely

Takes a minuite to start again . When excellerating say in third its very sluggish , and its cut out a few times average revs while cornering . !! All was fine until today?

Hit the track and it cuts out high in the rev range about 10k , i have a rev limit of 11k so its under this .

Sat on the bike and revving it, its fine , rev and bounce off the limiter while static its fine , cold start fine , hot start fine .

under load ,,,,,, not so fine . Every time i get near to my shift revs it dies and it also cuts out mid corner wich is less than entertaining at 45 degrees lean on a single cylinder bike !!

Between last track outing and todays ive put on the arrow exhaust but cant see this causing the issue , yeah ot may run a little different but physically dying on me ? Dont think an exhaust swap would do that . Also the bike has run standard muffler , straight through pipe and stock with cat removed , all configurations fine and again this leads me to think the exhaust swap is not to blame .

plug ??
Fuel ??
Wiring issue ??

A friend with a duke 390 said roll over sensor fault but im.not convinced as its not random exactly . Somethingbis causing this and im buggered if i know .

Thanks in advance . Lee

Did you figure this out?

MotoScoot

the roll over sensor starts to kick-in around 63-64 degrees lean angle and the bike runs without the sensor plugged in with an annoying "check engine" light flashing.

this is one of our problem now with our RC390 racebike wherin the rider is not so tall.

shreeshar7

plug ??
Fuel ??
Wiring issue ??

Thanks in advance . Lee

Could be a faulty side stand sensor/switch?
Since u say it revs fine in neutral and happens at high revs in gear.!

Also check if the spark plug adapter is fitting well and making good contact and check the HT coil plug too.

If these dont sort anything, you might have to do a fuel pump pressure test.

sak1s20zuki

Anybody has a solution to this problem? Im using hm fim shifter 11.000 rpm too.. and in big angle the bike cuts out the ignition

Did anyone find a solution to this problem as I’m having the exact same issues on my race bike. I’m running a powercommander5 with revextend to 11000rpm. I’ve been told that the standard ecu will cut the ignition if it’s over the standard rev limit of 10250rpm for longer than 3 seconds as a safety feature. I’m wondering if now it’s able to rev to 11000 the standard safety cut is still active after 10250??