Is this part of the EFI or ?

avs

Country flag
I had the fuel tank removed to install a PCV, and angled the battery box back to sort thru the wiring and saw this black box just behind the coolant recovery tank. (see attached pic, taken from the right side, the coolant recovery tank is removed)

At first I figured it was the vapor recovery canister, but that was a cylinder on the left side. (this was sold to me as a '15 cup version, and had no charcoal canister?) My concern with this is that pretty much half the time I look under something I find damage, a stripped or missing fastener etc. there is one vacuum type hose and 5ports with 4 plugged.

I haven't found any mention of this item in the user or repair manual nor in the oem part guides, to figure out whether that 5th port needs a plug or not.
Thanks for any clues on this. So far I am unimpressed by the $30 I dropped on the official factory manual DVD!

IMG_0734.jpg

avs

Country flag
Ah thanks. Curious that it is so well integrated with the frame.
Should that hole be left open or plugged?

avs

Country flag
I found it in the 'conversion' page of the OEM parts catalog as a 'expansion tank' 90512936044 which is not found, but on the item there is a 59431096000 which does come up as 'supermoto catch can' and it has 'instructions' that can be found on ktm's site!
maybe if only 1 hose is connected it doesn't matter, but note in the attached the directive is to hook up the hose in the opposite fashion.

Attachments

• DOK_PP_BED_59431096000-OM__SALL__AWSG__V1.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 6

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
maybe if only 1 hose is connected it doesn't matter, but note in the attached the directive is to hook up the hose in the opposite fashion.
Probably in practice it doesn't matter, but I would still move the hose to one of the inlet ports. The outlet - being a raised nipple - seems less likely to allow any fluids to slosh out of the tank.

avs

Country flag
Probably in practice it doesn't matter, but I would still move the hose to one of the inlet ports. The outlet - being a raised nipple - seems less likely to allow any fluids to slosh out of the tank.
Yes, that was my plan, an interesting amount of sand drained out of the hose when I removed it. I think this thing went off-roading at the media event it was supposedly used at.

I can sort of see why they did this, the hose OD is a little tough to insert, the holes were made for smaller tubing.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
The fuel tank vent hose should go to the evap system (charcoal canister/solenoid). Only the drain hose should go to the catch tank... unless the evap is deleted.

avs

Country flag
The cup bikes (at least mine) was delivered without the canister.
My concern now is there are no open drains with it reassembled. (I thought there was one to start with!)