Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Wish I wasnt in Texas and this deal coming from a dealer in texas cause that kinda takes a bit of the "Deal" part outta it.

It does a little bit, yes. Sorry. Nothing I can do about that really unless you have a mailing address outside of the state. The State gov boys get rather testy about businesses which neglect to report and pay their taxes tho! The taxes aren't all that much. It comes to about $62 for the tax on $764... which makes for a total of $764 + $62 == $826... so that's still $73 off the retail price. That's still a big savings over buying direct from JRi not as part of the Group Buy price... plus, if you're local-ish to Austin, you can always skip the shipping costs and just come out and pick it up, if that helps. :) The shop is just a bit SW of downtown Austin.

As they say...
Death-and-taxes.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Interesting. My Penske shocks are closer to 22-24 clicks for compression. As long as the valving is in the correct range, 6 clicks could cover it... Just surprised is all.
-Sean

My experience with the compression adjustment is I am only adjusting it by 1 -=MAYBE=- 2 clicks. I don't remember exactly if I started with it set to 2 or 3... I took it for a ride over both rough and bumpy road, as well as a section that had a lot of bumps and jumps types. I adjusted it one click, and went back the same way and noticed that it was an improvement. I then tried going 1 more click, and it was too harsh. I then tried going 1 the other way from my starting baseline, and it was too spongy. I didn't notice any noticeable change when I was moving at speed over sections of road without a lot of shock use (flat or slow changes in elevation) with it set on any of the settings where it just stayed hooked up and welded to the pavement. I just looked at the shock reservoir, and it's currently set on 3, so I'm guessing I started on 2. In any event, yeah, maybe there are that may more adjustment clicks on my Penske on my Gamma. I remember when I was initially setting it up I was adjusting it a lot with compression and rebound, and a bit of preload... so my memory can certainly be fuzzy there. The big thing that sticks out in my memory tho was that when we were doing the adjustments, I was going 3-5 clicks at a time and that going less than that was so fine, I couldn't even notice any change at all. Maybe YOU can notice the difference between say a setting of 11 and 12, but when I was testing mine, I certainly couldn't. I suspect when you do your adjustments, you are likely moving 4-5 at a time to get an appreciable difference that you are then able to correlate to an improvement or not in handling and traction. {shrug}

When I was initially setting up and dialing in the shock, I found the compression adjustments on the JRi, while being "limited" with only 6 clicks, was quite quick to adjust, and that I was able to quickly tell the difference between each very easily on if I liked it, or not. I got it dialed in much faster than I was able to get the R6 shock setup, and was able to dial it in rather quickly with basically just 3 runs up and down the same section of road I know well. I've ripped through that section on a LOT of bikes, and use it for testing pretty regularly, as I know how the bike (as well as other bikes) performs with the stock shock, which was like crap!!! As stated I was also able to compare it's performance against the R6 shock swap which was WAY better than stock but still not quite as good as the JRi. With the stock shock, I had to slow down through most of the bumpier sections or would feel the shock bottom out on the big humps for elevation changes. Some of the low water crossing sections are a big downhill section, a small flat, and then a big steep rise again. To keep the bike under control with the stock shock I'd have to drop a good 30-40mph to maintain control. Across the sections with turns with humps or ripples, the bike seriously felt loose with the stock shock. This is some of the areas where I would get a wicked headshake if I pushed too hard. With the R6 I could maintain speed and go a bit faster, and either wasn't getting headshake, or not much at al. With the JRi, it felt welded to the pavement and I was doing a good 15 mph faster through most of those sections and still felt completely in control and that I might have been able to go faster still... if it wasn't that I was also on public roads and testing the shock so not trying to be TOO much of a hooligan. :) LOL I did manage to get headshake in one instance with the JRi, but that is a front end tuning issue I think I can fix by either taking a little ride height out of the rear or possibly raising the front end a bit. I still need to work it out. I do admit also, I'm still running the stock tires, and my 225# pushing the bike through challenging sections, at high rates of speed, is pushing the bike to it's limits. I'm hoping to get the steering damper prototype finished soon as I suspect that will also (finally) resolve that issue. I probably need to look into some better tires if I'm going to continue my tomfoolery... er... I mean... suspension research. :)

Bagwell

Country flag
Matt, No complaints about you charging tax. Im not asking you to not charge tax. Just stating the facts of my situation is all. Hehe. I guess I could have someone pick it up for me or even stop in on my way someplace. I will probably order a shock thru the group buy if I can swing it before it happens. So many expenditures lately.

- Compression: The Compression adjuster is located on the remote reservoir can. There are 6 clicks of adjustment. High and Low speed compression adjustments are shared. To separate them, you would need the triple adjuster. That would be a waste on the RC390 in my opinion, and also likely why JRi started their offering with the double adjuster.

On a "double adjust" shock, only the low speed compression and low speed rebound are adjusted. The high speed compression is adjusted by changing the shim stack unless you have a separate high speed adjuster knob (ie. triple adjust). The low speed compression adjustment can effect the point that the flow changes to the high speed compression circuit, but not how hard/soft or fast/slow it will be. Not a huge deal in most cases since it really only effects bump compliance when the bike is pretty much upright.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Will be able to use a credit card to make the payment to you?

Yes, but I would need to charge a small amount to cover the costs of the payment processing. The costs for the credit card processing is 2.9% + $0.30. So that would be $786.45. I'm basically passing the dealer costs straight through so to accept a credit card I have to charge more or it would cost me to sell the shock to you. Margins on bike parts (and electronics) are razor thin. Hope you can understand that. I'm not making a profit on this group buy... just trying to help get the shock in the hands of forum members who want one at as an affordable of a price as I can.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
On a "double adjust" shock, only the low speed compression and low speed rebound are adjusted. The high speed compression is adjusted by changing the shim stack unless you have a separate high speed adjuster knob (ie. triple adjust). The low speed compression adjustment can effect the point that the flow changes to the high speed compression circuit, but not how hard/soft or fast/slow it will be. Not a huge deal in most cases since it really only effects bump compliance when the bike is pretty much upright.

Hmmmm. Not according to JRi. They state that the compression adjustment is "high and low speed":

Here's the feature list from the JRi website:

Features:
-Ride Height Adjustment
-High & Low Speed Compression Adjustment (Emphasis mine)
-Low Speed Rebound Adjustment
-Spring Preload Adjustment

Not saying you're wrong, just that's what JRi says.

Major

Yes, but I would need to charge a small amount to cover the costs of the payment processing. The costs for the credit card processing is 2.9% + $0.30. So that would be $786.45. I'm basically passing the dealer costs straight through so to accept a credit card I have to charge more or it would cost me to sell the shock to you. Margins on bike parts (and electronics) are razor thin. Hope you can understand that. I'm not making a profit on this group buy... just trying to help get the shock in the hands of forum members who want one at as an affordable of a price as I can.
I assume paypal is the same deal, correct?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I assume paypal is the same deal, correct?

Right. That's who I use for my payment processing actually. When it came time I was going to let folks either send me a check or send the funds via ACH, or elect to pay the extra processing fees. Their choice. I think the paypal fees are different if the payment is sent from a bank account vs credit card. I would have to call them tomorrow and ask. The alternative would have been to offer the group a 12% discount (instead of the 15%) and just have built payment processing fees into the offer... but I was trying to find a way for folks to save as much as possible for the group buy.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The group buy will close at the end of the month on August 31st at Noon, US Central time. I will then contact you directly to arrange payment. Once I've received your payment I will then place the order for your shock with JRi. Depending on interest levels, I might be able to order your shock before then, but to be able to offer y'all the discounted rate I need to have minimum order quantities hit of no less than 5-7 shocks per batch order. Once the shocks are ordered I will receive them in ~10 business days. Once I receive the shocks I will then ensure you have the correct rate spring and set the preload to approximately the amount necessary for the sag for your weight, and ship you your shock.

So, if you'd like to participate in the group buy here is what you need to do. Either: email me directly at [email protected] or send me a PM here, or you can comment on this thread. You will need to send me the following information:
  • Name
  • Rider Weight in plain clothes.
  • Rider Weight in full gear.
  • Riding style: Road racing, Track days, Street, or whatever combination there of.
  • City, State

Just a reminder for everyone! The group buy window closes tomorrow. I'll be sending all participants info on how to send payment tomorrow afternoon once the window closes.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hey Matt just wondering if we are getting any closer to getting these things ordered :confused:

Yes, the order is in process. I'm hoping to get an ETA from JRi about what their lead time on manufacturing is early next week on Tuesday or Wednesday. I assumed it would be 2 weeks, but now realize that with the holiday weekend that might have screwed up their typical 2 to 3 week delivery time with some of their folks taking extra time off. That's speculation on my part, but it's pretty common after all for folks to tack a few days onto holdays to get a little extra time off. Anyway, I'll talk to them Tuesday and get an actual estimate on delivery for ya'. Not to worry tho... everything is in process. :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just to follow up, I just heard back from JRi. Estimate is 2-2.5 weeks. Apparently they are headed off to NJ for Moto America for the rest of the week, and will resume production when they get back. So, estimate for when I'll receive the shocks is PROBABLY around September 25th-ish. So, I -=SHOULD=- be able to have the shocks in everyones hands by the end of the month-ish.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Update: I received the shocks this morning. They are currently being unboxed, set, reboxed, and will go out with this afternoons shipment! Y'all should have them in hand shortly. I'll email everyone their individual tracking numbers in a few hours once all the work of getting them ready for you and individual packaging is completed.