KTM RC 390 for Tall first time Women rider

KTMChick

Good Morning,

I wanted to post and see what others thought. I am 100% new to bikes, my experience is a four wheeler. I am looking to begin riding not extreme but riding for fun. I really like the KTM RC390, was wondering thoughts on it being a first bike for a women. I am 6'0 about 135.

Also any feedback is helpful you can offer! Things you dont like about the bike, suggestions!!

Thanks for your time. Happy to find this site!

Jamie

Fasteddy

Country flag
Welcome to the forum, It''s a great bike for very wide range of riders!
Does 100% new to bikes = no riding experience?

Last edited:

rick

I'm 6'3" and pushing 200 pounds. The RC was way undersprung for me but, it might be much better for you. Height-wise I think you'll be comfortable - I am. Can't really go wrong with a smaller bike like the RC as your first too.

unicorn_violence

the RC390 was my first bike, and i had no prior riding experience as well. its a very nice bike to learn on. it still has a decent amount of punch to it, but its also very forgiving if you make a mistake. cornering is fantastic and confidence inspiring. its very light as well so getting it to lean into a corner is a very easy process. brakes are good, and having abs on a first bike is big plus.

being 6ft 4 and 200lbs i'm sure i look a little silly on it, but its not too cramped of a riding position.

plus once you get used to riding you can take it to the track!

Last edited:

chwkrx7

It should fit you pretty well, I've ridden lots of bikes and am very comfortable on the RC390. I'm 5'11 and 145 lbs.

motoputz

Country flag
It is a great entry level bike, not to powerful and handles very well for the price. And as you get better you will be able to get more out of it than other entry level bikes on the market. I am only 5' 10", so it fits me fine and from the comments form the taller guys it should fit you also.

Andy

Country flag
I'm 6ft 1 and 16½ stone and ridden lots of big bikes, the RC is a fun little bike which punches above it's weight. Height wise the bubble screen makes a difference.

I find throttle control at low speed annoying, very snatchy!

ASM

While you wouldn't have any issues in regards to seat height/fitment, the RC390 certainly is more focused towards sport riding. Compared to the other "beginner" bikes such as the Ninja 300, Honda CBR 300 etc. you are leaned far further forward which can intimidate newer riders. While this doesn't mean it is not suitable for you, you probably want to at least test sit on one or even better test ride one of possible.

zaster

Country flag
It all depends on what kind of riding you are planning to do. It is not a commuter bike but lots of fun on twisty roads.
If you are totally new to two wheels, take a motorcycle safety course first and then check if you can take one out for a test ride to see if it foots your bill.

Old3

Country flag
The Yamaha R3 is a better street bike, broader torque curve so it cares very little what gear its in. Smoother, and a set of $25 rearset spacers off ebay makes it fit a 6-91" frame very well.

Out if the box the R3 has better suspension, more wind protection, better ergo fit to the rider at the tank too. It also benefits greatly from a short throw throttle.

The RC holds a gallon less fuel, (so plan to stop fir gas all the time) wants to he in a specific RPM range, NEEDS a tuner to run properly too.

I enjoy my RC after $2500 in mods, but the R3 is still a better street bike with just a seat, pegs moved and the R6 throttle tube.

reenmachine

Country flag
While you wouldn't have any issues in regards to seat height/fitment, the RC390 certainly is more focused towards sport riding. Compared to the other "beginner" bikes such as the Ninja 300, Honda CBR 300 etc. you are leaned far further forward which can intimidate newer riders. While this doesn't mean it is not suitable for you, you probably want to at least test sit on one or even better test ride one of possible.

Also perhaps sit on a 390 Duke for comparison. Same bike (generally), different posture.

FWIW, sure, these are beginner bikes, but I've been riding for years on much larger, more powerful bikes and love my 390 to death. Don't necessarily think that you'll just use it to learn and then need to move on to something else. Perhaps being female you may be immune from the inexplicable urge to go bigger, bigger, bigger that most of the boys have ;).

Late to this thread but it's a great bike for a tall rider. I'm a 6'2" male and it fits me very comfortably. Also, it's a great commuter bike - my daily commute is over the bay bridge from Oakland to San Francisco, a grueling ride full of lane splitting, and I can get to work in 20 minutes when a bus or car would take me 50. It's a joy almost anywhere. It's best on fun, twisty roads on weekends, but it can scoot around a rush hour clogged city faster than most other motorcycles. Another reason it's good in stop and go traffic is that it has short gearing, meaning you can have fun actually going through the gears at relatively low speeds, whereas people who ride bigger bikes rarely leave 2nd gear in the city.

It's my first bike too, and I have no regrets!