KTM RC390 CUP bike advice please!

kumpy

Does anyone have a CUP bike? Was thinking of getting one and was looking for some advice. Please call or text me at 617-257-1845 kumpy. thanks so much!

kayabusa

Country flag
Hi Nino ! I'm planing to get a KTM for track days and racing, so If you can help me I will really appreciate that, I have a few questions.

1- Does the price difference between street version and cup version worth the money ? ( O is better to go with the street version and spend the extra $4,500 in good racing parts to be at the level or of the cup bike or even better) what do you think about that ?

2- When you get the CUP bike, does KTM gave you the street parts or the cup bike would never go back to street ?

3- I know that the guys racing the Motoamerica received a lot of updates and upgrades on the bike to stay at top level, YOU as an owner of the cup bike, did you receive/ed that information ?

4- About the power limitation, there is any documentation on how to get rid of that ?

5- Any website to get good info in how to tune that bike for racing ?

Thank you so much, and Sorry for so many questions, but I cant make the decision without knowing what Im entering beforehand.

big_sur

As someone coming from the other side, if your racing org allows it, just get a cup bike and be done with it. It's about the same amount of money, but you'll put like 40h into a regular one before it's where the cup bike already is. The only reason I didn't go that route is the cup bikes are restricted in our racing org because of the front forks.

kayabusa

Country flag
As someone coming from the other side, if your racing org allows it, just get a cup bike and be done with it. It's about the same amount of money, but you'll put like 40h into a regular one before it's where the cup bike already is. The only reason I didn't go that route is the cup bikes are restricted in our racing org because of the front forks.

Hey Big Sur ! thanks for the advice, you got a good point there. You mention about forks restriction, where are you racing ?

big_sur

MRA production cup. They don't allow cartridge kits in the production cup class and so you can only race a cup bike (since they have fancy forks) if you're a motoamerica RC390 cup racer.

kayabusa

Country flag
Big_Sur a few questions you can help me with

-About the power limitation, there is any documentation on how to get rid of that ?
- I know the guys racing the Motoamerica received a lot of updates and upgrades on the bike to stay at top level, you as an owner of the cup bike but not racing motoamerica, did you receive/ed that information ? or is like more you are on your own.

big_sur

I think the power restriction is just a plate on the air intake that you can remove. I don't have a cup bike so I'm not sure on updates\upgrades.

nino209

I got a really good deal on my cup bike, so i couldn't pass it up.
i think buying the street version is a better deal, you can the choose what suspension upgrades to make, the wp suspension still has to be valved and it needs different springs as well.
you will end up spending about the same but you will have the suspension you need, unless you are about 120LBS and even then i think the cup suspension still too soft and wp's valving is just to progressive for my taste.
on the power limitation, its just a a plate on the throttle body remove it and presto there is the rest of your horsepower.
as far as updates i haven't seen anything, there is a few tips here and there that i have gotten from one of the kids dad, but nothing major

I have found that I could build a race bike from the street bike for almost 3k less than what I could have bought the Cup bike. Less if you only did spring and oil up front. + I have it setup exactly the way I want it.

Wa2fst

Country flag
I passed on a cup bike for the reason g baby said. I have met a motoamerica kid and his dad has told me only thing extra ktm does is they are their for track support and carry every single part you could want if something happened. The bike is detuned and has a mechanical stip in the throttle you can remove.

for what i got in suspension, belly pan, race windshield, better tires im still 3.5 k less than the cost of the cup bike

kumpy

My local KTM dealer "mistakenly" received a CUP bike and now they're having a hard time selling it. When you say you got a really good deal, how much are you talking about? My KTM dealer is asking $10k and I'm not sure if that is an "out the door" price or before taxes, crate fee, etc fees. I weigh about 155lbs and I'm guessing the stock suspension won't work for me. So then I'll end up getting the forks revolved, an aftermarket rear shock, so at what price makes the CUP bike worth it? The beauty of it is that I can get on it and go race the next race weekend coming up, so that's a plus. I'm really up in the air about getting the CUP bike from my local dealer. They said they're having a hard time selling it because most people who walk through the door is looking to buy a street RC390, not a dedicated track bike. As for me, I'm a club racer and it will be a dedicated race bike as I don't ride on the streets anymore.

I got a really good deal on my cup bike, so i couldn't pass it up.
i think buying the street version is a better deal, you can the choose what suspension upgrades to make, the wp suspension still has to be valved and it needs different springs as well.
you will end up spending about the same but you will have the suspension you need, unless you are about 120LBS and even then i think the cup suspension still too soft and wp's valving is just to progressive for my taste.
on the power limitation, its just a a plate on the throttle body remove it and presto there is the rest of your horsepower.
as far as updates i haven't seen anything, there is a few tips here and there that i have gotten from one of the kids dad, but nothing major

I have a Cup Bike and was on the fence at first but like you said it is an out the door race bike. 10k is the normal price for the bike so I wouldn't take it for more than 8.5k. If they are needing to get it out the door try and work out some sort of sponsorship with them, then they would probably go for it. All I did with mine before my first race was change out the coolant, safety wired the bike and swapped out the rear spring.

emeglasson

Hey Kayabusa, did you get a bike yet? I have one of each for sale; a cup bike, and very well prepped street version. Both were ridden last summer, so both are used. You can save several thousand $$ if you don't mind used.

For what its worth, I would personally buy the street version because for the same money, you can make it quite a bit nicer (much higher quality suspension and rear sets, etc. But, as mentioned above, you will put a lot of time into doing it. The restrictor on the cup bike is very easily removed. I suppose the decision would mostly come down to the rules of the race classes you plan to race in. IF you are allowed tu run with modified forks and shock, id get the street bike and build it up.