Loose gear shift lever

Brandon Paul

Country flag
Hey everyone i have recently purchased a 2015 ktm rc390 and the gear shift is like loose and just sticks up after shifting up in gears. It is fine down shifting, and i can still get it to change gears its just kinda finagling around with my foot to get the lever in the right spot to shift up. Any advice PLEASEEEE lol

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Sounds like the shift shaft rod lever is just loose. Follow the shifter link rod down to where the lever arm attaches to the shift shaft. It's a splined connection, with a single 10mm bolt. Adjust the arm to where you want the shift lever, and then tighten. You can do fine lever position adjustment with the shift shaft link rod by loosening the nuts on each end and turning the rod to move the lever up and down, and then tighten where you are happy with it. Don't over tighten the lever arm bolt! It's a steel bolt into an aluminum part. It only needs 12lbs of torque, tops! If you want to keep it from rattling loose again, take the bolt out, and apply some Loctite 248.

Brandon Paul

Country flag
Sounds like the shift shaft rod lever is just loose. Follow the shifter link rod down to where the lever arm attaches to the shift shaft. It's a splined connection, with a single 10mm bolt. Adjust the arm to where you want the shift lever, and then tighten. You can do fine lever position adjustment with the shift shaft link rod by loosening the nuts on each end and turning the rod to move the lever up and down, and then tighten where you are happy with it. Don't over tighten the lever arm bolt! It's a steel bolt into an aluminum part. It only needs 12lbs of torque, tops! If you want to keep it from rattling loose again, take the bolt out, and apply some Loctite 248.
Ok so i have taken a closer look at what youve said and it is actually not loose but instead if you shift the lever too high it will stick itself in an upright position. It wont let me attach a file to show whats going on.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Ok so i have taken a closer look at what youve said and it is actually not loose but instead if you shift the lever too high it will stick itself in an upright position. It wont let me attach a file to show whats going on.
Is it catching on something? Might be you just need to adjust the position of the shift shaft lever arm as it might have been pulled off and put back on in the wrong spot.