Lots of Random questions

Mototoro

It's just one little thing after the next, nothing major, but i want to get it all out of the way. I'm trying to take one weekend to throw some time, money and parts at it (maybe some wrenches too, out of frustration) and knock everything out at once. Figured i would get some input from you guys who have experience on this bike. I have done a ton of work on Ninjas and CBR's but nothing on KTM street bikes and just a little on KTM dirt bikes. (My bike is a 2015)

Headlight/High beams - The Flasher turns on both lights, but when i switch from low to high its only the high beam. Normal? Not normal? i have heard conflicting reports.

Coolant - My bike runs pretty hot usually, I am in Socal so that's expected, but given that a few people have had coolant explode on them or bikes overheat, what are you guys running? Engine ice? Evans water less coolant? I'd like to avoid overheating or bathing in coolant.

Valve cover gasket leaking - any reason why this would be other than the obvious checking valves and not using a new gasket? I'm planning on checking/adjusting the valves since they are probably due (6k on the bike and picked it up at 5k from previous owner and i have no idea what he did or didn't do). Any random things i should know about before hand not mentioned in the manual or tips/tricks would be appreciated if they exist. If its just straightforward stuff then I'm good.

Also have an oil leak from that sensor on the left side of the bike, looks like its sealed with just black RTV or gasket sealant... kinda shitty. I actually dont know what it is - i'll figure it out when i am replacing and fixing everything i'm sure... just have not had time to trace it out. (college is a real time killer, lame)

Replacing the chain - don't know if the one on there is stock or not, any recommendations to type you guys prefer? or doesn't really matter?

Stands - any recommends on that also since i'm gonna pick up a set.

Also I heard someone say that the rear wheel alignment blocks are trash and i should replace them.... I use a sprocket alignment tool so I'm not sure if that's a big deal still at that point. I check them all the time along with tire pressure anyways ....

Ok I think that's all I can thing of for now... already had to replace a cracked air box and replace a few bolts, nothing big. I'm ready for this thing to be good for a bit though, hoping showing it some love will be rewarded but I'm not holding my breath...

Last edited:

Mototoro

haha Whoops, i put (US, 2015) and didnt bother explaining that.

But Yeah 2015. :)

But While I'm here - I thought of one more question, do u guys do the valves with the engine in the bike or do u remove it? It seems like it might be easier to just remove? Looks like a struggle fest otherwise.... but if its possible with the fuel tank off then I'm down to just do that.

Last edited:

Michelle

Hi Mototoro

Did the new air box help the bike run better ?,, I use engine Ice , with a fueling unit and I installed a SPAL fan.... Mine always runs one bar less even when hot ,, its only when I stop it will go to the 8 bars but it comes back down to 7 when I am moving so mine stays cool..
But its not that hot here most of the time in the UK....

Valves ,, no need to take the engine out ,, I zip tie the chain to the cam gears and I removed the clutch cover as well and stuffed a rag in the bottom gear so I know the cam chain can not move....
But that is just me ,, a lot of the guys on here just zip tie the cam chain to the cam gears after turning it to TDC..
As for the leak ,, it might have been on and off a few times as you say and the gasket is knackered ,, or it could be the bolts are not tight enough...

I never torque my bolts to spec because I don,t think they can take it ,, I always nip mine up nice and snug... Just so you know ,, don,t want to strip a thread or your screwed...
I put loctite on my side stand bolts as well ,, there was forever always coming loose other wise..

The stock chain is a peace of shit , its a 520 chain ,, mine is a 520 DID ZVM-X cost me £120 with postage ,, I have only had to adjust it once in a 1000 miles ,, you get what you pay for so I always try to buy the best I can.

As for the other oil leaks I am sure the guys will help you on here , I have not had any oil leaks YET ,, coolant not oil :rolleyes: GOOD LUCK :)))))))))

Michelle

Sorry I should explain myself a bit better , once you have zip tied the cam chain to the cam gears you can lift one at a time up ( after taking the cam shaft bridge off :rolleyes: ) and replace the shims you need to..
Just makes the job easier ,, that way then you know your timing is not going to be out :)
Space is limited , the exhaust cam shaft gear ,, I put a long screw driver through the side to lift it up while I put my fat hand in to change the shim I needed to change... Hope that helps..

green_bread

Country flag
Headlight/High beams - The Flasher turns on both lights, but when i switch from low to high its only the high beam. Normal? Not normal? i have heard conflicting reports.
It is completely normal for only one of the headlights to be on at a time. When you switch the high beam on, the low turns off. Some vendors sell a kit so both will stay on when switching the high beam on.

Coolant - My bike runs pretty hot usually, I am in Socal so that's expected, but given that a few people have had coolant explode on them or bikes overheat, what are you guys running? Engine ice? Evans water less coolant? I'd like to avoid overheating or bathing in coolant.
Some people have had issues with the seal at the radiator cap and replace it with one that holds more pressure. Others have replaced the stock radiator fan with a Spal unit. You shouldnt need to change the coolant... just make sure that the radiator/fan are working efficiently, as they should.

Valve cover gasket leaking - any reason why this would be other than the obvious checking valves and not using a new gasket? I'm planning on checking/adjusting the valves since they are probably due (6k on the bike and picked it up at 5k from previous owner and i have no idea what he did or didn't do). Any random things i should know about before hand not mentioned in the manual or tips/tricks would be appreciated if they exist. If its just straightforward stuff then I'm good.
Most likely is due to the gasket getting pinched or moved a bit when reinstalling the valve cover after checking the valves. Theres not a lot of room to work in there and it can be tricky to get the gasket seated correctly.

Also have an oil leak from that sensor on the left side of the bike, looks like its sealed with just black RTV or gasket sealant... kinda shitty. I actually dont know what it is - i'll figure it out when i am replacing and fixing everything i'm sure... just have not had time to trace it out. (college is a real time killer, lame)
I am not sure what that is, either, but it shouldnt be leaking oil from there. That is something I would have a KTM dealer look in to and they should, most likely, fix it under warranty.

Replacing the chain - don't know if the one on there is stock or not, any recommendations to type you guys prefer? or doesn't really matter?
Doesnt really matter. RK and DID are probably the most popular brands.

Stands - any recommends on that also since i'm gonna pick up a set.
I use/recommend Pit Bull stands. They are more expensive but they are durable and the best design out there, IMO.

Also I heard someone say that the rear wheel alignment blocks are trash and i should replace them.... I use a sprocket alignment tool so I'm not sure if that's a big deal still at that point. I check them all the time along with tire pressure anyways ....
I dont have any issues using the wheel alignment blocks. Its not the best setup out there but its still useable. What I do is measure the distance from the front of the adjuster block to the threaded part where the adjuster bolt threads through and make sure they are even on both sides. (see attached image)

Attachments

• ChainAdjusters.JPG
    ChainAdjusters.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 150

Maddog Reynolds

My 2015 bike (EU spec bought in UK) has always shown both lights on high beam, from new. I expect it changes for diffetent markets.

My adjuster blocks are a bit approximate. I do it by eye--up on rear stand I point the front wheel at the back, then the back wheel at the front. After that I simply count flats I turn the adjusters. One tme, when the bike was new, one adjuster felt wrong--the block had turned in its groove and jammed with friction. I straightened it up and it never happened again and the adjustment never slips in use, so I don't worry :)20170726_185820.jpg

Yes, I know the bike needs a wash!

Mototoro

Thanks guys - you all are super helpful!!

Michelle: It looks like there is more than enough room to do the valves, obviously a little close but I can get in there no prob, thanks for the pictures. Always helpful, and I use that zip tie trick too! Glad to know it works fine here, our bikes cam levers are so tiny. Dare i say cute? haha
I was looking at that chain, I'm at 6k miles and its pretty beat up and they didn't lube it or clean it regularly from the looks of it, so it has corrosion and wear, I'm just gonna start over on that.
I too don't like to skimp on parts, which is why I opted to replace the airbox rather than leave electrical tape on it (which was working okay). If i have the $$ i like to do it right. I'll probably plastic weld the old one and keep it as a back up. I may or may not horde spare parts :rolleyes: and yes! It helped so much. Hasn't stalled or idled weird all week! Which is super nice. Its still revs weird/surges sometimes in 1st/2nd, but this bike seems to dislike being at anything other than the middle or top of each gear, so I just avoid doing that and its usually fine.

Green_Bread: Thanks, I'll just deal with the lights then. Don't need to fix whats not broken. Fan and radiator are so far working just fine, the coolant in there looks disgusting so I'm gonna change it out anyways. awesome, the stands i was looking at were PitBull stands - they guys didn't want a whole lot for them so i'll probably go grab those. i feel better about those now.

Maddog: Thanks! Counting flats its a pretty fail safe method, i'll def do that. Your bikes not that bad, mines pretty gross right now too though - lots of ash raining down from fires in the area.

Thanks again for all the feedback - makes me feel better getting some extra opinions/recommends from u guys who have had the bike for a while.
Cheers!
Beth