Lousy Headlights

mwtillotson

I find that I have terrible visibility at night on my RC. I love riding at night, so this is a huge pain. Both the low and high beams seem to provide a weak, concentrated source of light. If a deer runs out, I'm going to have very little time to react.

At first, I thought they were poorly adjusted -- and they were. My low beams were pointed way too low. However, after raising them, I still have a lot of trouble. And the low beam seems to flicker over every bump, but that's a separate matter.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Any recommendations on replacements?

Thanks so much.

MrGrody

Haven't had this issue with mine. Lights are glorious actually.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dglen

Was thinking about installing a Phillips Bixenon HiD kit on mine, so that I can have two headlights on at all times and they will both function as high and low beams, has anyone installed HiDs?

ray

That is strange..RC has one of the best Headlamps I've ever seen on a Motorcycle!

Bagwell

Country flag
I like the lights. I really hate when people modify some of the lights out there on cars/trucks and bikes where the person in front of them cant see because the lights behind them are too bright though. I think there is a point up to which you should modify your lighting system as long as it doesnt interfere with the driving safety of other people. Just my 2 cents.

mwtillotson

Thanks for the responses guys.

Looks like something is awry on my end (or maybe I'm just crazy). I'll try to capture some images at night and upload them. Maybe someone can help determine what the issue is.

Ryanthegreat1

I agree, the lights are fairly good on the RC. The low beam would be a good candidate for an HID swap as it is already a projector with a hard cut off.

Just wish the low would stay on with the high. The high beam does not provide much low level lighting for the up close stuff.

ray

I agree, the lights are fairly good on the RC. The low beam would be a good candidate for an HID swap as it is already a projector with a hard cut off.

Just wish the low would stay on with the high. The high beam does not provide much low level lighting for the up close stuff.

Wait, the LOW doesn't stay on with the HIGH in yours? :O It does on mine! You could just alter the relay to get it working like that.

psych0hans

Country flag
I think there are some differences in the Indian and U.S. Spec bikes, like the tun indicators intergrated in the mirrors.

ray

That's how mine came as stock but do note that its Indian spec since...er I'm from India :) . Wonder how is it for the rest the guys here?

My commute back home at midnight is with the High beams on since the roads are pretty much empty and must say its well lit!

Guyhowdy

I'm in California and my United States spec bike doesn't have both lights on at the same time. When riding through a dark and curved canyon at night it really helps to have both lights on at the same time as my low and high beam illuminate different parts of the road, and with both on together it really helps with visibility and seeing through turns. If I ride with the low beam on and hold down the highbeam flasher on the left handle bar it seems to have both lights on together vs riding with the highbeam on only the highbeam is shining. Not sure if there's any ill results of holding down the highbeam flasher for longer than intended times but it seems to get the job done of adding extra visibility when needed and you can just lift your finger off when another car comes. Not saying I'm holding the button down the entire night ride, but when approaching a corner I'll hold it down.

ray

Interesting. My RC was one of the first in the country, I need to check if this change has been made to the current production. It could be that, BAJAJ, who is partnered with KTM to produce these bikes have the similar lighting setup in one of their current and previous models and they always had the LOW go off when the HIGH was on. So they must have just made it common in production. Anyway, its just a matter of changing he headlights relay and you guys can have the HIGH and LOW on at the same time.

Will post a few pics today.

JKBC

you can buy the same type bulbs but better than stock

I find that I have terrible visibility at night on my RC. I love riding at night, so this is a huge pain. Both the low and high beams seem to provide a weak, concentrated source of light. If a deer runs out, I'm going to have very little time to react.

At first, I thought they were poorly adjusted -- and they were. My low beams were pointed way too low. However, after raising them, I still have a lot of trouble. And the low beam seems to flicker over every bump, but that's a separate matter.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Any recommendations on replacements?

Thanks so much.

Both stock bulbs are H11. Look at the features and benefits of these OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited H11 (Twin) | PowerBulbs and they are still the same 55W. I looked at the EU RC 390 manual thinking they might have higher wattage but they don't.
65W H9's can fit with easy modifications to the bulbs socket but you want to make sure the wires are heavy enough. H9's also have shorter life. If those Osram's really are that much brighter,etc they should be good enough. You would want to verify they fit.

OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited H11 (Twin) | PowerBulbs
Difference between H9 and H11 bulbs?
DIY upgraded H9 bulbs for FRS owners - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB
Another option are LED's which use less power, and may last longer but I'd rather stick to good old Halogen bulb technology.
H8,H9 and H11 LED headlight bulb 3200 lumen

MrGrody

Wait, the LOW doesn't stay on with the HIGH in yours? :O It does on mine! You could just alter the relay to get it working like that.
My low turns off when I switch to high beam aswell. Both dint stay on

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JKBC

I've just ordered a pair of H11 Osram Night Breaker bulbs from the UK....free worldwide shipping,a 12 month warranty and free side marker lights for my truck.
I asked a few questions and there were other options if I wanted the HID look or more powerful but not road legal H11's. I think all the options they mentioned in their reply are on this page Car Bulbs ? H11 | PowerBulbs
And here's a snapshot of that reply
Powerbulbs.com-answer.JPG
If you click on the flags (eg: USA or CDN) up top for any bulbs it will switch to the currency of your choice.

Last edited:

ray

Couple of pics of both my headlamps switched on. Just get the appropriate relay guys. With both the headlamps on, the lighting is superb. Even better than the ZX14R :p
DSC_1660.jpg

DSC_1659.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1661.jpg
    DSC_1661.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 5,388
Last edited: