Low Oil Pressure light on 2017 RC390

Corner4days

I've had my 2017 RC390 for a few months now and am already having my first issue. I am seeing the "Low Oil Pressure" light during the bikes warm-up. It's a bit strange because the light will always come on while the bike is warming up, but once it gets to operating temperature, the light will shut off and stay off as long as the bike is warmed up. I have verified that I am at the proper oil level and have since dropped off the bike at the dealership. I am posting here partially for documentation in case others have this issue as well, which seems to be the case. The dealership has reported 3 other 390's having similar problems this season alone. I should note that I have had my 600 mile service done, so my warranty should cover whatever is wrong.

Has anyone here had this issue? I will let you know what they find (hopefully soon).

cameronc56

I had this issue, but it was actually due to low oil. (at 300 miles). I took it to the dealership right after the light came on and they topped it off, but the next day the engine blew.

Corner4days

Holy cow! Your engine blew? Did they over fill it? Hopefully your bike is still under some sort of warranty.

So far, they have not been able to replicate the issue (Classic). So they are going to keep it and try a few more times. It was happening 100% of the time for me, but I did ride in some very heavy rain the day before this started happening. So maybe the electronics just got wet and was malfunctioning and has since dried out? Such a strange issue.

mattv

Country flag
I just got this error message for the first time tonight; ~1700 miles on the bike, it's a 2017. I was in a rush, but a quick glance looked like the oil level was good.

Is the oil pressure sensor accessible without tearing into the engine?

I'll change the oil and put a new filter in this weekend. If that doesn't work, I'll swap out the sensor, assuming it's not a huge job.

Pretty bummed out. I've already spent too much time wrenching instead of riding. Certainly not going to ride it until I figure out what's up. Will post back if I learn anything new.

mattv

Country flag
Does anybody know the current part number for the oil pressure sensor? I found 90138091000, but not sure if it's the same on a 2017. Or if they have a better/revised sensor now.

Corner4days

I just got this error message for the first time tonight; ~1700 miles on the bike, it's a 2017.

Interesting since mine is also a 2017 and the light came on at about 1800 miles. I will call today to see if the dealership has had any luck replicating the issue. If they cannot, I'm not sure I have the confidence to ride the bike any great distance. The light is pretty unnerving.

mattv

Country flag
Let us know what you find out. I'll post any information I come across. Probably won't be able to tinker with it until this weekend.

I emailed a dealer (aomc.mx) about the part number for the sensor, they confirmed 90138091000 is the correct part number.

Corner4days

Let us know what you find out. I'll post any information I come across. Probably won't be able to tinker with it until this weekend.

I emailed a dealer (aomc.mx) about the part number for the sensor, they confirmed 90138091000 is the correct part number.

Will do! Thanks for the information!

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I've seen several... If it's on, it has low oil pressure. I have not seen a faulty switch yet. Two of said bikes had partially collapsed K&N oil filters in them! DO NOT use the k&n oil filter. I don't know why but that caused the issue. Replaced filter with oem one, and oil service, still running today. One didn't make it, it ran too long with low oil pressure, starved the trans, locked up bushings on input shaft. One of said bikes had 10w40 in it too instead of 15w50. That was not helping the issue either.

Corner4days

I've seen several... If it's on, it has low oil pressure. I have not seen a faulty switch yet. Two of said bikes had partially collapsed K&N oil filters in them! DO NOT use the k&n oil filter. I don't know why but that caused the issue. Replaced filter with oem one, and oil service, still running today. One didn't make it, it ran too long with low oil pressure, starved the trans, locked up bushings on input shaft. One of said bikes had 10w40 in it too instead of 15w50. That was not helping the issue either.

Yeah I've heard bad things about K&N filters in these bikes and in general lately. My bike is serviced at the dealership and only has about 1k miles since the last service. So I assume they used OEM parts and 15w50.

mattv

Country flag
Well, crap. I think I have a K&N in mine. OEM filter on the way. Will report back this weekend.

:(

Corner4days

The mechanic was able to replicate the low oil pressure issue. Now I await KTMs response. I am sure glad I have my Suzuki M109R to ride in the mean time. But I'm getting tired of riding sweep with my riding buddies

isaac_

Why would 10w40 make a difference v 15w50? Are all 10w40s the same? I tend to use the motul 300v across the board on all my bikes.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Why would 10w40 make a difference v 15w50? Are all 10w40s the same? I tend to use the motul 300v across the board on all my bikes.

It's not going to make/hold same pressure with a 40 wt vs a 50. Pressure will be lower with the 40 wt, especially at idle hot.

isaac_

It's not going to make/hold same pressure with a 40 wt vs a 50. Pressure will be lower with the 40 wt, especially at idle hot.

Follow up question. Is there such thing as too much oil pressure. Ie. Can you go wrong going higher oil weight in different applications? What can go wrong on that end?

Corner4days

Update. The mechanic spoke to KTM. It sounds like they are aware of this issue and wants him to update the software. If that doesn't fix it, I'm looking at a new oil pump.