M shock from Shock Factory & Mike Capon

rideontt

Country flag
the other Brands that I had checked for a suspension upgrade

>Ohlins; everywhere its talked about, they are the topic of discussion
>Nitron; the technical explanation was captivating :R1(rebound)/R2(rebound.compression)/R3(rebound/low-compression/Hi-compression)
>K-tech; another option Razor-R
>Racetech; G3s custom made ones
>Shark Factory; Taiwan developed electronic suspension adjust damping on the phone (preload is manual)
>YSS; Thailand,
no reply to an email.

Most suspensions mentioned above has a service interval of 15000Mile (24000kms) for service. or once's in 2 years. All give 2yrs of warranty coverage and or 15000Mi (24000kms) whichever is earlier, some times less depending upon the vendor who gives the quote.

after emailing all manufacturer (YSS dont reply to emails for some reason) I came across "shock Factory" from the "duke390" forum (i am not able to find that thread; the guy/gal was used it for a tour to Italy and another using it in China I believe)

Emailed (shock factory) and then had a telecall with Mike Capone himself :D, his words combined formed easily to understand sentences I as a Newbie was not lost in conversation, after that, I Ordered the Mshock.

FYI; the review on Shock factory is available on French forums, and sometimes dont come up when googling about "rear shock KTM/KTM shocks/suspension upgrde for 390 KTM" etc. though its world wide web(google) search is not or search engine is biased to English language only :(.

rideontt

Country flag
M shock.jpg;)say hello to my Little Friend

This Is M shock there is another called M2 shock that has one more adjuster.
M shock= single adjuster combining rebound and every 3rd click has 1 compression :D(total42 clicks)
M2 shock= sperate rebound and separate compression.
above is for monoshock motorcycle
same holds true for twin shocks too.. motorcycle with two rear shock absorbers/dampers.

conversations (its entertaining this way)

me; how about M2 shock
Mike; for the requirements mentioned M shock will do, M2 also I can set it-up
me; should I select the ride height adjuster, I do occasional track days
Mike; no. adding preload will be okay for your mentioned requirement, when you reach semi-pro I can set damping for the track on the existing Mshock.
me; (So Happy listening flexibility he is giving)
Mike; I can give track only damping but it won't do well on streets/ public roads ride be harsh as damping be aggressive
me; ohhhh (learned something more) oky.

a few weeks later I got the "little friend", to its not so pricy I goo_O. the warranty was same 2yrs or unlimited kms.

His service and cost of shock's is bang right in the middle of the above shock manufacturers. The bonus is I dont have to follow 15kmiles interval /.. ;)

rideontt

Country flag
After Installing the "Shock factory M shock" noticed that it pivots on its joints. I dont know why but it works without issue.

>In the package I got a "sheet" with basic settings provided. Yeah I read the Manual since it was just one sheet:D
> first time using the shock is firm to use (has 10mm of static sag). also has an instruction that the adjuster should face up (it fit's one way)
>being that adjuster screw is on the top it is so dammmm easy to turn the damping when riding soft to firm, I dont have to get off the motorcycle :p, unlike other makes (all models I had mentioned)[its my openion]

first, ride right away the motorcycle is different and stable at the rear. it took some time to get used to I was figuring out the damping n how to use it.. I went to zero position and the motorcycle was wayyyy toooo soft and it turns as it wants(vague).

then went back to factory setting 24/42 clicks.

though the ride is good the front became heavy to use and occasionally not manageable.. curious to find what was wrong I checked the sag measurement behold it is at 60mm total(front) o_O rear at 27mm(rear).

rideontt

Country flag
some nuances (my views)

the shock takes a pillion(the requirement I had asked for before ordering) and on solo riding I reduce preload and this was annoying to me(add n remove preload) and certain tyres worked well when the rear is lower / less preload.. due to this I matched the sag on the rear based on what was on the front..

So at 60mm front total sag and rear was set at 50-56mm total sag (solo)the damping seems not at optimum vs the factory setting of "shock factory". I mentioned this to Mike and he said to reduce the sag with preload or replace fork spring.

I searched about preload from Tyga performance seeing that and the cost of the new fork spring is additional by 35$-47$, I went for a new fork spring.
>here is a link to fork spring upgrade from "Race tech"; https://www.rc390-forum.com/threads/racetech-fork-springs-learning.3866/

the approach to the upgrade's I had done is specific to me.
upgrading the fork spring with correct preload reduces the total sag thereby I can set sag based on what was in the front; that's how I do :)

Timmah

Country flag
Hey dude, I'm a new member and just picked up my rc a few days ago. What is apparent for me is that under acceleration, the rear of the bike just caves in, the preload doesn't do much on the stock shock. I'm seriously considering getting the M-shock because it looks so much cheaper than almost every other option out there, what I really want is to get a shock that is better than stock on the cheap for the street only.
Do you think that replacing just the rear shock and not doing any fork changes from stock would result in a better ride than just stock alone?
I'm not afraid of wrenching, I just won't have the money to be able to do anything to the fork for a while, and as I see it, the rear shock is the main suspension problem.

KTMasean

Country flag
In the same boat atm.
I'd love to have the Nitron which is offered on the Factory website at BPD 408 through their Japanese re-seller Yen 95,000 = BPD 612
YSS is out of the question for me as a buddy running off-road tours had 3 YSS shocks snap straight off and this Thai company never replies to email.
Looking into the Italians, Mupo, Bitubo and Matris all with Thai supplier markups if close to 25% from the Italian website rates.
Might sound crazy but Öhlins Thailand KT-301 comes out on top, price-wise at THB 20,990 = BPD 476
I run this Öhlins on my Duke 390 so I guess I'll be riding Öhlins again.
K-tech Razor-R although on their website is not available (according to an email reply from the factory).
Shark and Racetech I don't know.
I still might try to order a Nitron direct from the UK website still.

the other Brands that I had checked for a suspension upgrade

>Ohlins; everywhere its talked about, they are the topic of discussion
>Nitron; the technical explanation was captivating :R1(rebound)/R2(rebound.compression)/R3(rebound/low-compression/Hi-compression)
>K-tech; another option Razor-R
>Racetech; G3s custom made ones
>Shark Factory; Taiwan developed electronic suspension adjust damping on the phone (preload is manual)
>YSS; Thailand,
no reply to an email.

Most suspensions mentioned above has a service interval of 15000Mile (24000kms) for service. or once's in 2 years. All give 2yrs of warranty coverage and or 15000Mi (24000kms) whichever is earlier, some times less depending upon the vendor who gives the quote.

after emailing all manufacturer (YSS dont reply to emails for some reason) I came across "shock Factory" from the "duke390" forum (i am not able to find that thread; the guy/gal was used it for a tour to Italy and another using it in China I believe)

Emailed (shock factory) and then had a telecall with Mike Capone himself :D, his words combined formed easily to understand sentences I as a Newbie was not lost in conversation, after that, I Ordered the Mshock.

FYI; the review on Shock factory is available on French forums, and sometimes dont come up when googling about "rear shock KTM/KTM shocks/suspension upgrde for 390 KTM" etc. though its world wide web(google) search is not or search engine is biased to English language only :(.

rideontt

Country flag
Hey dude, I'm a new member and just picked up my rc a few days ago. What is apparent for me is that under acceleration, the rear of the bike just caves in, the preload doesn't do much on the stock shock. I'm seriously considering getting the M-shock because it looks so much cheaper than almost every other option out there, what I really want is to get a shock that is better than stock on the cheap for the street only.
Do you think that replacing just the rear shock and not doing any fork changes from stock would result in a better ride than just stock alone?
I'm not afraid of wrenching, I just won't have the money to be able to do anything to the fork for a while, and as I see it, the rear shock is the main suspension problem.
yes, it will work.
for the FORK;
>you can replace the fork oil (cost-effective) to 20W and see if it sorts your damping ....
>you can also add preload spacer CPVC type matching same OD of fork spring (10mm increments if sag values were similar to mine) to correct your sag nos...

rideontt

Country flag
some time (over a year) the 🏍️ was🤨not easy to lean from side to side, I checked the shock
and noticed the bushings (upper n lower end where the fasteners go through ) pivots about 5mm-7mm side were stuck.
then removed the unit and checked if there was any problem, the upper bushing worked but the lower one did noto_O, so I used some "machine oil" and a few drops of "Gearbox oil" (gave it an hour and a couple of rides), Voila it started to move and (i had not given any thought) this pivoting aids with leaning the motorcycle with ease

🥳

rideontt

Country flag
with Ride height device🤓, (its myOpenion) I should have taken that option
Also
when the motorcycle chain keeps getting adjusted (axel moves further away from its liked position for its feel) the "ride height device" with 5-10 mm adjustable range helps with giving a steep angle to the swingarm & lean in/out of the turn with lesser effort and also I dont have to change add further preload on the shock