Manual radiator fan toggle switch

Does anyone know of a readily made switch that can be purchased to manually toggle the radiator fan? I know of a post on this forum containing a diagram on how to make such a switch but I'm curious, has anyone found a product that can either piggyback the coolant temperature sensor or the fan relay to achieve this without cutting into wires or connecting the battery directly to the radiator fan via a fuse?

Last edited:

madman

Elite Member
Country flag
I have removed the stock fan system all together and installed 2 fans, each on their own temp settings... Each sensor is located at the intake and out of the radiator, and set them to turn on at different temps. The device i used may work for what your talking about. If you run + _ in parellel and if they both kicked on it wouldnt hurt a thing. Meaning, you could ad the sensor and run its +- to the fan wires that are already there and boom, you have an aux system that you can actually read the REAL temperature. I also installed a Race aluminum radiator among a million other things...

exactly what you asked for i think is right here.... https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/search/go?w=radiator fan and group
this is exactly what I used but I used 2 of them,..... https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/trail-tech-universal-fan-kit-p

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Many riders THINK their bikes run hot because KTM temp bar indicators NORMAL temp is 2 bars from the top. Unless you are maxing out at all bars showing, the bike is operating in a normal range. Why KTM insists on not setting nominal temp in the middle of the reading bars, or give us an ACTUAL temp, is beyond me. If you are that worried about the temp, pick up an aftermarket temp gauge and epoxy the thermocouple to the radiator.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I do not see the point of installing and using a manual fan switch, when the automatic one works better.

kostean

Country flag
2 things to improve the OEM setup, throw out the nasty and flow-restricting plastic thermostat and install a proper SPAL fan instead of an unreliable OEM piece of junk. These things made, one should not have a need for constant temp gauge monitoring or extra temp probes at the bike -the darn thing is made for riding after all not worrying about overheating all the time.

KTMasean

Country flag
Riding is what I do.
Taking out the thermostat or replacing the Kinetic for an Italian SPAL fan still doesn't give you peace of mind.
The temperature gauge I've got shows me where the coolant temperature sits at any given time in a glance.
On my 200 with the OEM bars up to the ceiling the temperature sits at just over 90C.
Absolutely no need then to remove the thermostat nor replacing the Kinetic.

2 things to improve the OEM setup, throw out the nasty and flow-restricting plastic thermostat and install a proper SPAL fan instead of an unreliable OEM piece of junk. These things made, one should not have a need for constant temp gauge monitoring or extra temp probes at the bike -the darn thing is made for riding after all not worrying about overheating all the time.

kostean

Country flag
Well, you choose the options, just noting the extra monitoring gadgets do not in any way improve the system cooling ability or reliability- where you literally would need to make modification to the setup.

Just my 5 cents on these out of several years of racing experience of a bunch of 390s been maintained and at the OEM setup, cooling was one of the topmost issues for these engines.