Marchesini wheels compared to stock - weight reduction

Edwardp33

Country flag
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Just received my new wheels. Below are the weights that I measured.

Thanks to Rottweiler - I love the fairing stay as well.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Total weight reduction 11lbs 11oz of un sprung rotating weight[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Front stock wheel 10 lbs 10 oz[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Front Marchesini [/FONT][FONT=&amp]wheel [/FONT][FONT=&amp]6 lbs 5 oz[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Weight savings 4lbs 5oz ~ 41%[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Rear stock[/FONT][FONT=&amp] wheel [/FONT][FONT=&amp]14 lbs[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Rear Marchesini[/FONT][FONT=&amp] wheel [/FONT][FONT=&amp]8 lbs 3 oz[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Weight savings 5lbs 13oz ~ 47%

[/FONT][/FONT]
Represents weight of the wheels only, no disc, no sprocket holder, no tires[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]
Sprocket keeper OEM 3lbs 1oz
Sprocket keeper Marchesini 1lb 8oz
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Weight savings 1lb 9 oz

Total wheel weight OEM 26 lbs 3 oz
Total wheel weight Marchesini 16 lbs

hope I got the math right, one should never do math in public
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

JB390Cup

Thanks for sharing this!!!

Where did you find Marchesinis?! Exact same size as stock?

Thank you in advance...

IMG_1973.jpgIMG_1974.jpg

BST's set including the ceramic bearings 7.5lbs for rear and 5lbs for front wheels...

total weight reductions down from 320 lb stock bike to 246lb ultra-light and still slimmingWerkes.jpg

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Just received my new wheels. Below are the weights that I measured.

Thanks to Rottweiler - I love the fairing stay as well.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Total weight reduction 11lbs 11oz of un sprung rotating weight[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Front stock wheel 10 lbs 10 oz[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Front Marchesini [/FONT][FONT=&amp]wheel [/FONT][FONT=&amp]6 lbs 5 oz[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Weight savings 4lbs 5oz ~ 41%[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Rear stock[/FONT][FONT=&amp] wheel [/FONT][FONT=&amp]14 lbs[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Rear Marchesini[/FONT][FONT=&amp] wheel [/FONT][FONT=&amp]8 lbs 3 oz[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Weight savings 5lbs 13oz ~ 47%

[/FONT][/FONT]
Represents weight of the wheels only, no disc, no sprocket holder, no tires[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]
Sprocket keeper OEM 3lbs 1oz
Sprocket keeper Marchesini 1lb 8oz
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Weight savings 1lb 9 oz

Total wheel weight OEM 26 lbs 3 oz
Total wheel weight Marchesini 16 lbs

hope I got the math right, one should never do math in public
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Tom

Sorry to revive an old thread, but do the OEM pattern rear sprockets fit on the Marchesini carrier? I'm trying to finally start piecing together a light weight wheel setup, and don't wanna order the wrong thing.

Also, can anyone with a light set of wheels comment on how acceleration is affected? I've heard the lighter front makes the bike want to lift the wheel more, but I haven't heard anything in they way of acceleration at higher speeds. Looks like I'm stuck at about 100 to 110 (depending on farts in the winds) with my 41 tooth rear, so I'm wondering if going back up to a 43 tooth would be necessary or if the lighter wheels will allow me to push past the drag & rotational mass that's limiting me.

Edwardp33

Country flag
Yes the bike lifts a little easier, transitions quicker, accelerates better. Not sure if it improves the top speed. Haven’t had an occasion to top it out. Definitely a good upgrade. I am certain that the stock sprocket fit the Marchesini wheel.

Andy

Country flag
Lighter wheels will have some effect on speed/acceleration but you’ll see better performance in your handling especially moving bike from side to side.

If you could do a twin disc set up with small discs like a RC250R it would be better, reducing rotational mass is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Lighter wheels will have some effect on speed/acceleration but you’ll see better performance in your handling especially moving bike from side to side.

If you could do a twin disc set up with small discs like a RC250R it would be better, reducing rotational mass is the key.

Yep! Plus it's UNSPRUNG Rotation! This is also why folks are loving the 415 chain sprockets I make as that also reduces Unsprung Rotational Mass, which drops another 4# (2.1# chain and #1.9 of sprockets) of Rotational Mass.

It's not JUST handling improvement tho. You'll also get faster acceleration with that quicker transition improvement. Top speed from corner to corner would be also improved because you would have more room for accelerating in a given section of track distance, but theoretical TOP speed would be the same. If you were say, going full throttle out of a turn for the blast to the next turn tho, because you can accelerate faster, you would arrive at the next corner at a higher speed. Reduction of Unsprung Rotational Mass can make a shockingly large difference, and is the king of weight reduction. Some people will talk about things like changing out the battery and it "makes a huge difference" which I've always been VERY skeptical of. Maybe it does, maybe it it's placebo effect. I can't say either way. I've always thought that if it did make a difference, it would be so small it wouldn't be able to be measured in terms of lap times. I know that things like battery changes doesn't make any difference with ME on the bike, but I'm also a BIG guy for a little bike. LOL

Where it comes to Unsprung Rotational Mass however, that DOES make a difference, no matter who it is that's at the bars. This is why there is a difference between crank HP and rear wheel HP. There's frictional losses in the transmission and chain/sprockets, but the big difference there is the HP that's lost due to having to spin up the mass of the wheel, sprockets, and chain. Reduce that weight, and the effective result is less HP loss and faster acceleration.

415.jpg
415-19.jpg

Tom

Thanks Matt,
I was looking into the 415 chains, but there are two things that are putting me off from switching over to that setup. The biggest issue is that I dont think they have a 43 or 41 tooth sprocket in that size. The bike is purely for commute or the occasional mountain fun run, so I need to stick with a smaller rear (even the OEM 45T was too short). I get that if I went with a larger front, I could make up for the larger rear, but then the weight savings gets diminished by running a larger rear sprocket.

Also, I'm not sure how long the chain would last compared to a 520. I know there are way overbuilt 415 chains available, which allow us to safely run the smaller pitch, but having to replace a $200 chain every few thousand miles would significantly raise the maint. costs of the bike.

=maz=

Country flag
Why would you need a 43T sprocket?

If you look at the front sprocket options(in 415) that are offered you'll see there are only 18T and 19T options...have a look at Final Drive conversion chart and you'll see that the front/rear sprocket combinations offered are correct.
Also the larger front sprocket reduces drag in the final drive...so there are quite a few advantages here.