Massive tariff on 50-500cc

Ryanthegreat1

Good thing the RC390 is Indian! Literally the only time that is a good thing.

But really what the hell. How do we get from beef to motorcycles?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Good thing the RC390 is Indian!

Unfortunately that doesn't matter because KTM is based in Europe. This WILL impact us. Not just the bikes either, but spare parts as well. With a 100% (or more) tariff. But even if it didn't, we should be up in arms for all of our fellow riders. This will impact all motorcycle companies based out of europe so in addition to KTM there's Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Ducati, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa. So... what can we do:
We can raise a campaign of rejection of this action! These lobbyists and republicans in the house who have tacked a 100% tariff (or more) on European motorcycles, between 50-500cc over a beef imports trade action can NOT be allowed to stand!!! How and where to do this at, three places:

1) AMA action form:
https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/act-on-a-regulation?2&engagementId=275833

2) Provide feedback directly to the Office of the United States Trade Representative in regards to docket number USTR-2016-0025 that the specifics of this regulation via the trade document is punishing ourselves with an industry which has NOTHING to do with BEEF products. You can comment to them directly at:
https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=USTR-2016-0025-0001
Via the "comment now" button in the upper right corner.

3) Contact your house Congress Critter! Let them know that the Office of the United States Trade Representative has gone too far in regards to docket number USTR-2016-0025 and regulating the beef industry being extended to add a HUGE tariff on motorcycles, which has NOTHING to do with beef imports, is wrong and we won't stand for that! Tell them this will put many small business dealerships and aftermarket parts companies in the US, out of business! There is NO WAY that MY business stays alive if this goes through.
Find Your Representative · House.gov

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I thought Montesa was Honda now? Wouldn't that make them Japanese?

I don't know. Maybe. Does it terribly matter tho? When they attack one of us, they attack us all. We have to step up and say "This Is Not OK!" We need to let them hear as many of us as possible that putting an undue hardship on those motorcycles for a dispute over BEEF products is NOT going to be allowed.

ToraTora

Country flag
The way to fight this is to call (not write or email--they only pay attention to phone calls) your representative, and inform them that you will halt the purchases of all beef products produced in the USA. This would included all leather products produced in the States--including American automobiles. This will remove their financial means to mount this attack. And as a side benefit we'll all be healthier too! ;)

dairy-cow-giant-udder-.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I've already got multiple phone calls setup on my calendar to make starting bright and early starting Monday morning! There's this issue, and another where they killed a budget addition to the budget which would have allowed purchasing of medications from China.

psych0hans

Country flag
Welcome to my world... all imported bikes here face a similar tariff. The Kawasaki H2R is priced at over $100,000/- in India. The versys 1000 is over $20,000/- and the ZX10R is over $30,000/-

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Welcome to my world... all imported bikes here face a similar tariff. The Kawasaki H2R is priced at over $100,000/- in India. The versys 1000 is over $20,000/- and the ZX10R is over $30,000/-

Ah HAAaaaa!!!!1 NOW we know WHY the provisions are being attached to of all things a damned BEEF Import Tariff... It's all India's fault!!!!! ;) I mean like, Seriously... Can't you guys just worship something else for a LITTLE while so we can keep getting our products which are made in India to still be imported at a reasonable tariff amount??? {runs for cover} ;)

--------------------------------------

On a more serious note: I dunno about the rest of y'all, but -=I=- for one will be calling my congress critters tomorrow and raising a royal stink over this. It's absolutely ridiculous they would be fighting over a beef import duty and slapping 50-500cc bikes with a 100% tariff with punishing a sector which is completely unrelated to an agricultural trade dispute... especially when it's going to cost the US jobs and business.

I also hope everyone is following the links to fill out the feedback forms via the AMA Action Form, as well as the regulations.gov and congress critters sites, which again, are accessible at:
1) AMA action form:
https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/act-on-a-regulation?0&engagementId=275833

2) Provide feedback directly to the Office of the United States Trade Representative in regards to docket number USTR-2016-0025 that the specifics of this regulation via the trade document is punishing ourselves with an industry which has NOTHING to do with BEEF products. You can comment to them directly at:

3) Contact your house Congress Critter! Let them know that the Office of the United States Trade Representative has gone too far in regards to docket number USTR-2016-0025 and regulating the beef industry being extended to add a HUGE tariff on motorcycles, which has NOTHING to do with beef imports, is wrong and we won't stand for that! Tell them this will put many small business dealerships and aftermarket parts companies in the US, out of business! There is NO WAY that MY business stays alive if this goes through.

Seriously, we can't let them do this without a fight!!! :(

ToraTora

Country flag
It's all India's fault!!!!! ;) I mean like, Seriously... Can't you guys just worship something else for a LITTLE while so we can keep getting our products which are made in India to still be imported at a reasonable tariff amount??? {runs for cover} ;)

Yeah you better run! lolz.

I know you are joking, but this is one of those perpetuated myths that causes a lot of issues, because people are too lazy to learn about other cultures.

They don't worship cows. They believe in reincarnation--coming back to live another life because you failed to ascend. On the path to ascension the step below human is cattle. If you have a nasty uncle who doesn't live a good life he could come back as a cow. To eat the cow would be to become a cannibal--that might be uncle Charlie over there in the field. Our society doesn't promote cannibalism either. We too probably shouldn't eat cows for that very reason since genetically we aren't all that dissimilar.

Now all this might sound crazy, but it's not nearly as crazy as believing in talking snakes, sky wizards, fruit that make you smart, or a character that is both a father and a son unto himself. Mythology does serve a beautiful purpose to help us understand cultures, and from which a person's disposition stems. But religion well that's just totally nasty shit that causes all sorts of hate, trouble, wars, etc., and none of them are clean. Every single one of them perpetuates horrible atrocities.

Back on topic. We forbid other countries from selling products here in the States that don't meet our standards. There are massive requirements to market an automobile over here. There are massive requirements on children's toys--like you can't employ led based paint. For us to tell another country, or major group of countries, that they do not carry the same rights and privileges as we expect is to be anti-American. Yes let me clarify that for you--the beef industry is anti-American. They regularly pursue and perpetuate actions, and beliefs that hurt America.

The beef industry is a nasty bully that's been actively harming indigenous people, the environment, its customers, and the animals for centuries. Now they are attempting to hurt the moto industry. I'm glad to see you taking note now that it is effecting you directly, and I hope you make some lifestyle changes based upon your recent enlightenment--even if my expectations are low, you and America would be much better off. :D

Unfortunately that doesn't matter because KTM is based in Europe. This WILL impact us. Not just the bikes either, but spare parts as well. With a 100% (or more) tariff. But even if it didn't, we should be up in arms for all of our fellow riders. This will impact all motorcycle companies based out of europe so in addition to KTM there's Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Ducati, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa. So... what can we do:
We can raise a campaign of rejection of this action! These lobbyists and republicans in the house who have tacked a 100% tariff (or more) on European motorcycles, between 50-500cc over a beef imports trade action can NOT be allowed to stand!!! How and where to do this at, three places:

1) AMA action form:
https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/act-on-a-regulation?2&engagementId=275833

Thank you for posting this thread Matt and everyone in the motorcycle community needs to be concerned about this. I just wrote in to both parties and plan on calling them as well.

Cheers

cornerslider

I know you are joking, but this is one of those perpetuated myths that causes a lot of issues, because people are too lazy to learn about other cultures.

They don't worship cows. They believe in reincarnation--coming back to live another life because you failed to ascend. On the path to ascension the step below human is cattle. If you have a nasty uncle who doesn't live a good life he could come back as a cow. To eat the cow would be to become a cannibal--that might be uncle Charlie over there in the field. Our society doesn't promote cannibalism either. We too probably shouldn't eat cows for that very reason since genetically we aren't all that dissimilar.

Now all this might sound crazy, but it's not nearly as crazy as believing in talking snakes, sky wizards, fruit that make you smart, or a character that is both a father and a son unto himself. Mythology does serve a beautiful purpose to help us understand cultures, and from which a person's disposition stems. But religion well that's just totally nasty shit that causes all sorts of hate, trouble, wars, etc., and none of them are clean. Every single one of them perpetuates horrible atrocities.

Back on topic. We forbid other countries from selling products here in the States that don't meet our standards. There are massive requirements to market an automobile over here. There are massive requirements on children's toys--like you can't employ led based paint. For us to tell another country, or major group of countries, that they do not carry the same rights and privileges as we expect is to be anti-American. Yes let me clarify that for you--the beef industry is anti-American. They regularly pursue and perpetuate actions, and beliefs that hurt America.

The beef industry is a nasty bully that's been actively harming indigenous people, the environment, its customers, and the animals for centuries. Now they are attempting to hurt the moto industry. I'm glad to see you taking note now that it is effecting you directly, and I hope you make some lifestyle changes based upon your recent enlightenment--even if my expectations are low, you and America would be much better off. :D

Do you know what "trolling" is? Trolling is the act of attacking online, or provoking an online argument...... YOU sir, are a troller. Most of your posts have NOTHING to do with motorcycles. Isn't there some other political venue that would be better suited for you to vent your random views (that have nothing to do with motorcycles)???

psych0hans

Country flag

Unfortunately, even most Indians don't know about this, and hence they do worship cows... The hypocrisy is strong in our culture. In a new twist, some states have banned the consumption of beef and has set up vigilante groups to monitor this. As a result many people have actually been killed in so called "mob justice" because they were SUSPECTED of eating beef... What's worse is, the cops, instead of arresting the criminals first, sent the so called "beef" for forensic examination to ascertain whether indeed the meat in question was beef... Talk about messed up priorities... Other than this, people have set up business by tying a cow in front of a tree and then charge the ignorant public, who feel they are doing something great by feeding a cow, to feed it a bit at a time... This one guy near my house, started with one cow and now he has three, business in definitely booming... /rant

P.s. Your theory about reincarnation is not true at all, the cow, in india is seen as a "mother goddess" hence its forbidden to eat.

Most Hindus do not eat beef. This is basically owing to the believe that the cow is sacred ever since its connection with Lord Krishna, and also because it is viewed as a mother whose milk we drink. But then again, in the ancient times Hindus did eat beef as well as other animals from iguana to rats.

Last edited: