MCRA ULGT Race - Gateway Motorsports Park - 8/06/2017

green_bread

Country flag
We are already half way through the week! Here is another video for you guys to enjoy! :)

Day 3! Happy Wednesday everyone! Today, we have the Sunday race from the August MCRA Racing event at Gateway Motorsports Park! I only have front facing footage from my bike on this one BUT, we actually have announcer audio on this one thanks to our good friend, Lance Schroeder!

08/06/17 - Gateway Motorsports Park - Sun. Race

After Cameron laid a pretty good thumping on me in the Sat race, I knew I needed a new strategy if I was going to have any chance at a win on Sunday. It had been raining all morning and we were all back and forth on whether we should be on rains or dry tires. With about 10 min left before the start of the race, I decided to take my chances with a dry setup and it paid off!

After drag racing Cameron in to T1, I was able to maintain the inside line and retain the lead in to T2. After that, I tried to immediately up the pace to give myself a bit of a gap. After opening up a 3-4 second gap, the plan was to keep pushing and try to maintain the distance between us... unfortunately, the bike had other plans.

Around the half way mark, I tried to downshift a gear and missed the shift. I then tried to up/downshift on the next straight and was still unable to. As we came down the front straight, I looked down at my shift lever and noticed it was moving around a lot. As I reached down and touched it with my hand, I watched the retaining bolt fall out, which left me stuck in 5th gear and unable to change gears up/down. I tried to keep pushing as much as possible, but race direction noticed that I had parts hanging off of my bike and gave me a meatball flag, signaling that I had to report to hot pit and the race director. Luckily, when I reported to the pit, Jeffrey D Wheat and Alex Wisdom were waiting there to assist me with the bike. They were able to quickly detach the shift lever that was dragging the ground and give me a push to get me going again. Stuck in 5th gear, I was able to re-pass the riders that had caught up to me and maintain 3rd place. Damage control, for sure, but it would have been really nice to have been able to fight for the win all the way to the end!

[video=youtube;3yhyVTvg8iI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yhyVTvg8iI[/video]