MCRA ULGT Race - Heartland Park Topeka - 9/10/2017

green_bread

Country flag
We are almost through the week! Are you guys still with me? :) Today is the Sunday race from the Sept MCRA Racing event at Heartland Motorsports Park (formerly Heartland Park Topeka). I really hope you all are enjoying these videos!

09/10/17 - Heartland Park Topeka - Sun. Race

I knew this race was going to be a difficult one after Cameron took the win by a country mile in the Saturday race. Not only that, but there was another fast guy, Drew Jankord, to contend with. Drew had bike troubles in the Sat race on the 2nd lap, but from the form he showed in the first couple of laps, I knew he had what it took to show Cameron and I a thing or two and make us look silly.

HPT is not a fantastic track for a single cylinder bike, unfortunately. The long straights favor a lot more to the parallel twins and though I was able to hang on to the back of Cam and Drew for the first few laps, they just kept inching away from me down the straights until I eventually lost the draft and had to settle for watching those two battle it out ahead of me. Surprisingly, though, as they came up on lapped traffic, Cameron made a slight mistake and made contact with another rider and ended up crashing. At that point, I knew this was my chance to claw back some very important points in the championship and pressed on in the hunt for second place points. As we came up on half to three quarter race distance, my low fuel light came on. I feverishly tried to signal Kyle Sturgeon to run back to the pits and grab my gas can. A couple laps later, I breathed a huge sigh of relief as I came down the front straight and saw Kyle riding my Grom down the hill toward pit lane, carrying my gas can. Just as I caught up to Alex Vaipan, Christopher Magruder, and Scott Edward battling it out, I entered the pit and hoped they were ready for me. Once again, Jeffrey D Wheat was waiting to receive me in the pit. I hopped off the bike, splashed some gas in the tank, and took off. I was able to exit the pit just behind a GTL rider with Steve Luckert not far behind in 3rd place. Luckily, I was able to repass the GTL rider immediately and put him in between Steve and myself, which helped me maintain 2nd until the end of the race. With the points collected, that put me ahead by 1 point in the MCRA Challenge Series championship as we headed to Gateway Motorsports Park for the final round!

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for the conclusion of the season! The last two races of the season were probably the most exciting and I cannot wait to share them with you!

[video=youtube;XB2OinHqHXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB2OinHqHXY[/video]

RedWinter

Ha! I was there and saw this race in person. Watched the pitt stop for gas and Cam losing his visor. Great seeing the video to put the whole race together. At one point from a spectator's view it looked like all three of you were side by side through one of the last turns. That was a great weekend.