Mid-price track day helmet recommendations

reenmachine

Country flag
I've been wearing my trusty Shoei RF-1100 for everything, but it's getting a little long in the tooth and, more importantly, the viewport height/position has been obscuring my view on the track. I'd like to pick up a new helmet just for track use -- what do you wear?

I'd prefer not to spend $700+ but I understand that it's track use and I will if I have to.

I actually like the new Icon Airframe Pro ($375), and it gets great reviews from Anthony.

Icon Airframe Pro Helmet - RevZilla

However, if I don't ride in sneakers and a t-shirt am I still allowed to wear Icon? ;)

The new Bell Star looks like it may be a solid choice as well for $449:

Bell Star Helmet - RevZilla

The Scorpion EXO-R2000 seems like a real race-oriented helmet for a great price ($380) considering it comes with two shields (clear and smoked):

Scorpion EXO-R2000 Helmet - Solids - RevZilla

Any experience with these? Any others I should be looking at?

tt2013

Hello. I actually had a Shoei RF-1100 helmet, but had to get another helmet because I ended up crashing in it. I ended up with a concussion, but looking back at the pics I knew that my Shoei helmet did its job. I ended up getting a Bell Star, because, at the time, they were the only company offering a photochromatic shield. In my opinion, the Shoei RF-1100 has a better build quality than my Bell Star. Later on, I ended up getting a Shoei RF-1200 and its better than the RF-1100. I would suggest getting the Shoei RF-1200. I know it more than the other helmets you suggested.

EnergyHOU

You didn't mention the HJC RPHA-10 Pro which in my opinion is better than all three of those helmets but closest to Bell in terms of quality. Also, my 0.02c, buy a helmet from a company that makes helmets, i.e. Bell HJC Arai Shoei etc.

reenmachine

Country flag
You didn't mention the HJC RPHA-10 Pro which in my opinion is better than all three of those helmets but closest to Bell in terms of quality. Also, my 0.02c, buy a helmet from a company that makes helmets, i.e. Bell HJC Arai Shoei etc.

What do you think makes it better? I didn't see any features that made it stand out.

Of course, it all comes down to fit anyway. That'll be the final discriminator.

I bought a Shoei RF1100 for a track helmet but as you mentioned, the eye port was too small and I was constantly pushing it up to be able to see out of it. Retired the Shoei to street use and am using a SHARK Vision R. Way more expensive shields but the eye port is big enough and high enough to allow me to get my head down on the tank and still see ahead. I had a Bell that I just about gave away when I could never get their shields to stop fogging up. I was told by the Bell Tech that their helmets were made in the USA but shields came from China. Just my 2 cents. parillaguy

Backmarker

I have been using a Bell Star Helmet for the last two race seasons and love it, good air flow, not too heavy. I recommend it.

reenmachine

Country flag
I have been using a Bell Star Helmet for the last two race seasons and love it, good air flow, not too heavy. I recommend it.

Good to hear. I ordered one last night, added a dark smoke visor to go with the clear one, and still came out at about $375. Can't wait to get it!

Bell_Star_Carbon_Pinned_helmet_black__82166.1453997045.600.600.jpg

EnergyHOU

What do you think makes it better? I didn't see any features that made it stand out.

Of course, it all comes down to fit anyway. That'll be the final discriminator.

I will admit that it's the one I bought when I went to look at this one and the Bell so I'm biased, but as you said, I bought it because the fit was perfect. It's one of those "you just know" moments.

unicorn_violence

i ride the older version of the bell star and it is fantastic. a lot of wind noise but that is expected from a race helmet. its super lightweight and fits my head perfectly. buffeting at high speed is minimal also. plus the carbon looks badass. if you can find the previous gen it might be considerably cheap. i got mine for 330 and the original price was around 600 if i remember correctly

MNNTHBX

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
There's no way for me to say this without sounding like a sales pitch, but I'll say it anyway... Check out the NEXX helmets on our site. We carry them because they're awesome only. Truth. I've been a helmet snob for decades, and collect them like a woman collects shoes. I can whole heartedly say they stack up directly with Shoei and Arai. Feather light, crazy good quality, priced right, and something a little different then every other bike on the street...

green_bread

Country flag
If I were you I would go for the Bell Star, simply because it can accommodate the - extra cost - Panovision Transitions shield. I have a Transitions shield on my LaZer Monaco and consider it probably the greatest advance in helmet technology of recent years. Fabulous!

Bell Panovision Transitions Face Shield - RevZilla

They actually make those for the Shoei RF's, as well. My buddy has one. They dont seem to get as dark as the smoked shields. Just depends on your personal preference.

There's no way for me to say this without sounding like a sales pitch, but I'll say it anyway... Check out the NEXX helmets on our site. We carry them because they're awesome only. Truth. I've been a helmet snob for decades, and collect them like a woman collects shoes. I can whole heartedly say they stack up directly with Shoei and Arai. Feather light, crazy good quality, priced right, and something a little different then every other bike on the street...

NEXX do make some great helmets! Ive had a friend go through a couple of them and I cant believe how light they are!

Treachery

Country flag

Okay, now I'm just pissed you pointed those out.

Just so I feel like I've contributed to the thread, does the ECE certification qualify for race specs?

Hmph. Not gonna go look...nope, nope, nope.

reenmachine

Country flag
Good to hear. I ordered one last night, added a dark smoke visor to go with the clear one, and still came out at about $375. Can't wait to get it!

View attachment 2269

Just as an update, I've got a couple of trackdays on this previous-generation Bell Star Carbon so far and I love it. It feels super light, the eye port is great in a tuck, and it doesn't buffet or want to lift off at speed. A Shoei large was always my reference for fit and a large in this Bell fits the same.

Thanks for the tip!

green_bread

Country flag
Glad to hear that its working out well for you! They really are great helmets! Im going to have to order one of the new Race Stars soon... ya know, just because. :)