Motorcyclist mag small bore shoot out

guzz46

Not a bad review, pretty much what I expected, although I didn't expect the R3 to be the worst handling of the bunch, I notice they list the RC as weighing 165kg wet, as opposed to KTM's 147 dry claim, I suspect that KTM number is fudged, because my RC weighs roughly 154kg fully wet (give or take a couple of kg) using bathroom scales, and I've knocked a little over 10kg off mine.

Treachery

Country flag
I can't get just the review; I got a login issue with "Disqus." Got a search tip?

I did expect the R3 to be the worst handler...new bike + girth + budget build. Honda and Kawi have had longer to sort out the componentry.

As to weight; guzz- I just know you're going to cost me the price of a Shorai battery. :mad: :cool:

guzz46

I can't get just the review; I got a login issue with "Disqus." Got a search tip?

I did expect the R3 to be the worst handler...new bike + girth + budget build. Honda and Kawi have had longer to sort out the componentry.

As to weight; guzz- I just know you're going to cost me the price of a Shorai battery. :mad: :cool:

And muffler :) don't forget the stock muffler weighs 5.2kg.

Treachery

Country flag
No, what I meant was that, for instance (IIRC) swapping from the stock exhaust to a Staintune on my 1150GS dropped at least 15 pounds. The slip-ons on the FJR were about 4-5 pounds each, and the single slip-on (well, it was Ti/CF) on the 1200GS dropped 6+ pounds. So, the 5 pounds (as I recall) that the dealer said the Akra saved vs stock was still pretty good. Plus the weight of the section of the fairing lower that they amputate. :(

mr-fabricator

My mate has been holding out for an r3 since forever , saw me on the track with the rc and started to look very worried , now the test reports are comming in i think he will be crying himself to sleep ,,,,,

Regards lee

guzz46

Damn, the 1150 had a heavy exhaust, the Powercone obviously weighs less than the Akra, I saved 7lbs.

DCMoney

Country flag
They must not want people linking to their site.

cold link remove quotes...

"http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2015-small-sportbike-shootout-beginner-bikes-entry-level-review-two-wheels-video"

warlok9

Wow, he called the RC ugly. No accounting for taste. One of the big reasons I'm holding out for an RC is looks. I think it looks cooler than any other sport bike on the road, including the big sport bikes. Its like a fresh approach... Its not all bout the plastics. To an average person who knows little about sport bikes, there is little difference in looks (other than size) between an r3, r6 or r1; or a ninja 300, 600, 750; or a CBR 250, 500, 600. They all look sorta the same, even to me when I step back and squint my eyes. "Meh, just another sportbike, lots of shiny plastic and big headlights". But show them an rc390 and they will say "that looks cool... What is that?" Yes it is obviously a sport bike, but man does it look fresher than anything out there right now.

Looks like KTM started with the frame and made that a brilliant combination of function AND style and built on it from there. The plastics seem very minimalist to me compared to the Japanese bikes where hardly any frame or motor is visible.

That being said, price wise, the RC should be compared to the CBR 500r. They are much closer in actual street price in the USA than the 300cc bikes. And that makes for a much more interesting comparison. Both bikes with almost identical power but the Honda going for a more relaxed, refined exerience vs. the RC's all out sporty fun.