AidanS

Hi there everyone,

After recently going out for a ride I decided to do some slow maneuvering practice with my bike. I ended up stalling and found it impossible to start the bike back up.

I’ve checked the fuses, all seem to be intact and took the battery to a shop which says it’s in good condition still. I also tried recharging the battery and then trying to start it up to no success.

Other things worth mentioning are the fact that the display does not even light up when I turn the key, but the white leds for the horn, low/high beam and ignition starter come up. The bike does not turn over at all.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the issue? Should I check the fuses again?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks

PS: Bike has only done 5000 km on the clock and is a 2015 KTM RC 390

Aidan

erikesp

Country flag
Hi there everyone,

After recently going out for a ride I decided to do some slow maneuvering practice with my bike. I ended up stalling and found it impossible to start the bike back up.

I’ve checked the fuses, all seem to be intact and took the battery to a shop which says it’s in good condition still. I also tried recharging the battery and then trying to start it up to no success.

Other things worth mentioning are the fact that the display does not even light up when I turn the key, but the white leds for the horn, low/high beam and ignition starter come up. The bike does not turn over at all.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the issue? Should I check the fuses again?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks

PS: Bike has only done 5000 km on the clock and is a 2015 KTM RC 390

Aidan
Having same issue. New battery fully charged. Turn key on and white led’s light for a few seconds and then go off. No dash power, no fuel pump noise nothing. Is there another main fuse other than the 30 amp one? Any solenoid between battery and harnes? Any help would be appreciated

Fasteddy

Country flag
You may want to check that all relays on the left side of battery compartment are seated and in place correctly.
There is also a starter lock control module on left side near head stock, make sure it is still secure and connected

Last edited:

erikesp

Country flag
You may want to check that all relays on the left side of battery compartment are seated and in place correctly.
There is also a starter lock control module on left side near head stock, make sure it is still secure and connected
Thank for the info brother! Will check those today.

erikesp

Country flag
Ok so I fixed it! I am posting to hopefully help someone else. To recap my bike was not getting power to anything. No dash, no fuel pump, no lights at all. My battery was bad so purchase a new one and still nothing. My thought was well maybe the battery is not fully charged. So put it in the charger overnight. Checked all fuses with tester and although it said they were good, they were kind of “burnt” around each post as it goes into the plastic body of the fuse. Turned key on and nothing. Next I began to check that relays on left side of battery box were seated properly and that they were not damaged in anyway. Pulled the first brown one starting left to right, it was fine. Next pulled the grey one farthest to the right. It was also ok. I reseated both of them and turned the key and I got power to everything, dash, fuel pump etc... pulled clutch lever in and hit the starter.. everything died when I did that. Turned key off and back in and nothing again. Dis same thing with relays again and got power back. At this point I decided that is I had power and fuel pump was working I would “jump” the starter by touching both terminals with a metal object in this case a screw driver. As soon as I touched both terminals the starter turned and started the bike. Big sigh of relief as I now know the bike is fine and ecu is fine since it is running. Rode the bike around the neighborhood for a few minutes and everything worked as it should. So I thought ok the starter switch is bad. Turned the bike off and tried the starter switch again... it fired right up! So I guess it fixed itself hell not sure but got it going again. I will keep my eye on the relays and if I have the same problem I will replace them.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Look for corrosion / dirty contacts on relays and fuses, make sure all battery connections clean and tight.

nilnik

Country flag
Ok so I fixed it! I am posting to hopefully help someone else. To recap my bike was not getting power to anything. No dash, no fuel pump, no lights at all. My battery was bad so purchase a new one and still nothing. My thought was well maybe the battery is not fully charged. So put it in the charger overnight. Checked all fuses with tester and although it said they were good, they were kind of “burnt” around each post as it goes into the plastic body of the fuse. Turned key on and nothing. Next I began to check that relays on left side of battery box were seated properly and that they were not damaged in anyway. Pulled the first brown one starting left to right, it was fine. Next pulled the grey one farthest to the right. It was also ok. I reseated both of them and turned the key and I got power to everything, dash, fuel pump etc... pulled clutch lever in and hit the starter.. everything died when I did that. Turned key off and back in and nothing again. Dis same thing with relays again and got power back. At this point I decided that is I had power and fuel pump was working I would “jump” the starter by touching both terminals with a metal object in this case a screw driver. As soon as I touched both terminals the starter turned and started the bike. Big sigh of relief as I now know the bike is fine and ecu is fine since it is running. Rode the bike around the neighborhood for a few minutes and everything worked as it should. So I thought ok the starter switch is bad. Turned the bike off and tried the starter switch again... it fired right up! So I guess it fixed itself hell not sure but got it going again. I will keep my eye on the relays and if I have the same problem I will replace them.
Nice to hear it got fixed. did it appeared again?
I have similar issue, everything looks fine but no crank. I have not tried jump starting in the fear that it might short and damage ECU.

erikesp

Country flag
Nice to hear it got fixed. did it appeared again?
I have similar issue, everything looks fine but no crank. I have not tried jump starting in the fear that it might short and damage ECU.
So yes it happened again. Exactly same issue I described in my original post. Started thinking that this seemed like a grounding issue. I moved the wires coming into the relays and it worked so followed a ground wire to the frame underneath the front of the seat on the left side. It was absolutely loose. Tightened it up and bingo! Fired right up and have not had the problem since. Not sure why I did not thin of that sooner but tope this helps.

nilnik

Country flag
So yes it happened again. Exactly same issue I described in my original post. Started thinking that this seemed like a grounding issue. I moved the wires coming into the relays and it worked so followed a ground wire to the frame underneath the front of the seat on the left side. It was absolutely loose. Tightened it up and bingo! Fired right up and have not had the problem since. Not sure why I did not thin of that sooner but tope this helps.

Thanks. Yes Grounding is issue for many.
I have checked everything fuse, relay,earthing all seems ok.
Currently bike is able to start if I short the Green wire from R6 Main relay (First relay in the left side) to ground.
If I remove this connection it stops. Will take it to service center when I have time.

nilnik

Country flag
@erikesp
I got my fixed at KTM service center. They checked all wiring and found that two wires were broken. so they fixed these broken wires.
Exactly which wire got shorted or broken will be found by service center as there are so may wires. costed 2k (~30 USD)