Neutral start only

KBear

Country flag
I’m not sure if this has been discussed or not but can someone tell me why I cannot restart my 2016 RC390 if it stalls while in gear? Pullin the clutch in any gear and it will not start? I end up pulling over to asafe location and putting the bike in neutral before I can restart. Not surewhy this happens. Any insight would be helpful.

The only mod I’ve done regarding, say, the clutch is Ireplaced the OEM stock Bosch levers (brake and clutch) with the Italian leversKTM offers.

There is a clutch lever switch that is not being properly actuated. Check the clutch lever and the switch inside and make sure they are interacting in the correct manner.

KBear

Country flag
Thank you OpusNectar. I did look at the Clutch Lever Switch (CLS) last night and figured you were right to take a closer look. However, I didn't notice anything out of place or out of the ordinary. Since my KTM levers I added are adjustable I thought maybe I had the clutch lever adjusted too close to the handlebar and not allowing the lever to be pulled back far enough to make a contact release with the CLS. Well, I tried adjusting the lever as far out as it would go then started the bike put it in 4th gear stalled it pulled in the clutch lever and low and behold it started while in gear. Great, I thought, so I started adjusting the lever back closer to the handlebar a little bit at a time meanwhile stalling the engine and restarting in 4th gear to find out where the problem was and was losing the contact with the CLS. I ended up adjusting it back all the way (where I had it before) and it is working. I mean, I can stall the bike with the clutch lever adjusted all the way in as I like it and the bike will start with the clutch pulled in and start as if it where stalled.

Now, I'm not making this up, I've stalled the bike on no more then 3 occasions and was unable to restart it while rolling and in gear, be it while in third or fourth gear. Why I was able to start the bike while in gear last night I'm not sure. I know I will be riding today so I will try a rolling stall while in gear and see if I can restart it while in gear and see what happens. I was somewhat concerned that I couldn't restart the bike while in gear and rolling so this gives me some comfort knowing there may NOT be a problem after all. I'll let you know what my test stall and restart results reveal this evening.

Thanks again for your help!!!

KBear

Country flag
Okay, I did try stalling and a rolling restart on my RC yesterday several times while in gear and everything worked just fine. I'm really not sure why it didn't want to restart in gear before but I'm sure glad I don't need to be concerned about it now. Just seemed sorta odd that it didn't want to start while in gear on a rolling restart some time ago.

Thanks again for the help.

I would check in priority the side stand sensor (but it case there is a false detection, it should be written at the dashboard)

KBear

Country flag
I would check in priority the side stand sensor (but it case there is a false detection, it should be written at the dashboard)
Thank you. I did check and clean the side stand sensor after you guys stated I should. Everything is working fine now thank goodness.