New KTM club member

WannaGoFast

Hey Everyone, my name is Dan. I live in Ontario Canada.

Recently just purchased my first ever KTM. Picked up a brand new 2017 RC390 here on clear out from a local dealer. As it's still cold and snowy where I am I havn't had it out on the road yet, but excited for the spring! Doing my research on first service and break in.

I started riding in 2012. Since then I've had several bikes. I started on a 2013 Ninja 300, next rode a 2006 CBR600rr, then a 2012 Ninja 650. Definitely partial to Kawi bikes, but excited to see what this punchy little single can do. I missed the light weight of this class.

Nice meeting you all.

josefmd

Country flag
Welcome!! Congrats on the new bike. Did you ever consider the new Ninja 400 since you are such a Kawi guy? My go to dealer sells both KTM and Kawi, so it makes it really tough to decide between the two.

WannaGoFast

I did, and to be honest the Ninja was my first choice. The deciding factor was that the 17' KTM was on clear out from my dealer. I saved over 1k on the bike compared to the Ninja, and the insurance for a ninja would be 50% (400-500 per year) more. That's just the way motorcycle insurance is where I live.

Rode the bike home from the dealer today. It was about 8 degrees celsius.

Few first Impressions -

Honestly, the KTM feels a little cheap. I'm not sure if it's that I'm stepping down from a 650 to a 390... Obviously I'm used to a more "solid" feel, but it did.
The fan comes on a lot at slow speeds, and it's noisy. When moving it was off, but even in cool weather after riding for a bit the fan was on at every stop.
Had some trouble with the gear indicator. More than a few times instead of showing which gear I was in, the bike showed a dash - ... Mostly when changing gears into stopping at a light. Will figure it out.
The bike itself feels a little clunky. Gear changes feel a little rough.
The posture is more agressive than I expected. Not a bad thing, just was.

When at speed, the bike it a lot of fun. Good power through the range. Even keeping it under 7500 RPM it had a lot of grunt and go. Bike is light and nimble. Sounds good too.

Overall a mixed bag. I knew in buying it that the KTM is a little quirky, reserving judgement until I get more familiar with the bike.

This is my first single, so part of my observations are probably related to the engine differences between this and Kawi's, we'll see how it goes.

isaac_

I bought my bike without test riding. First time out was at a track day. After the first session I wanted to kick it on its side and light it on fire.

But... the more I rode it, the more fun I had with it. It’ll grow on you. It is a fun bike but not really a “put around town” kind of bike because it’s easiest to ride at high RPMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WannaGoFast

Update, I now have over 2600 km on the bike. I now take back all the shitty things I said about it.... The break in was a mess, but once I got past that and into it's full use I love the bike. Was a great buy after all. Only thing I can complain about now is the small fuel tank. Always seem to be on the hunt for a gas station. Otherwise, loving it.

JB390Cup

I certainly hope I will agree with you after this weekend. I just got lucky with picking up a never ridden Cup bike. Heading out to the track this weekend, and I'll be braking it in as best I can on the track. Any recommendations?

I bought my bike without test riding. First time out was at a track day. After the first session I wanted to kick it on its side and light it on fire.

But... the more I rode it, the more fun I had with it. It’ll grow on you. It is a fun bike but not really a “put around town” kind of bike because it’s easiest to ride at high RPMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isaac_

I certainly hope I will agree with you after this weekend. I just got lucky with picking up a never ridden Cup bike. Heading out to the track this weekend, and I'll be braking it in as best I can on the track. Any recommendations?

Wind it up and keep it pinned!

JB390Cup

;) Thanks isaac_, I'll try to remember that. Do you only ride yours at the track now? Since my bike will only be ridden at the track, it may take a while before I get 600 miles on it. Recommendation for service/oil change/valve inspection?

Thank you again in advance!

Wind it up and keep it pinned!

isaac_

;) Thanks isaac_, I'll try to remember that. Do you only ride yours at the track now? Since my bike will only be ridden at the track, it may take a while before I get 600 miles on it. Recommendation for service/oil change/valve inspection?

Thank you again in advance!

I do not. I tend not to worry about these things. Since it’s new... break it in at the track or on a dyno with conventional oil or whatever it comes in. Do a track day or two. Change oil. And then you’re good to go for however long you want to go without changing oils. I tend to do one or two race weekends between oil changes. Some go longer. This is just me.

If it uses the same bolts as the street bike version my recommendation is, take a bolt off, put a steel bolt in. BLUE LOCKTITE EVERYTHING. it’s a single. It will rattle everything loose. Just go over it after every session.

JB390Cup

Thank you isaac_ for the wisdom and recommendation. First track day in the bag, and it was a blast!!! I have zero regrets going with this bike :)

I do not. I tend not to worry about these things. Since it’s new... break it in at the track or on a dyno with conventional oil or whatever it comes in. Do a track day or two. Change oil. And then you’re good to go for however long you want to go without changing oils. I tend to do one or two race weekends between oil changes. Some go longer. This is just me.

If it uses the same bolts as the street bike version my recommendation is, take a bolt off, put a steel bolt in. BLUE LOCKTITE EVERYTHING. it’s a single. It will rattle everything loose. Just go over it after every session.