New Member. Mexico. Track Bike Set-up

Andyb

Country flag
Hi all from Yucatan, Mexico, where we have a pretty nice track - hopefully ready someday soon for the re-opening after the dreaded Covid nonsense. Hope you all are safe.

I will be buying an RC390 either new or >2018. Here's the plan.

It'll be primarily a track bike because dependable surfaced roads with curves (non highway) here are a novelty plus I have a road bike. There are some within trailerable distances though. The plan is to start on a stock bike and incrementally add performance items. I ride but am not a track guy so a some of this will be rider improvement (maybe) but here's the plan. If I am missing anything (which I am sure I am) appreciate any advice.

I'll be timing using a remote GPS for better results and a track app (there are a few) so hope to have decent metrics going forward. The nerd is strong with this one!

1. Rubber - not sure yet - track focused but streetable (Rosso's/ S20's ?? dunno for this bike)
2. Suspension - Andreani cartridges, R6 or Ohlins rear
3. Brakes - pads and ss lines maybe??
4. Weigh removal - unsprung (sprockets, chain - doubt wheels would be in the budget), sprung - exhaust (decat), panels, any non-essentials for track.
5. Ergos - rearsets and clip-ons - not sure on this until I ride one - suspect rearsets are needed for clearance.
6. Power mods - decat, slip-on, power commander with auto-tune (no dynos here)

I might do the power commander first as I understand they run lean. It's regularly 100+ here (seen 120 several times) which doesn't help. Any info on that would be great because grenading my engine will really suck.

Anyway - thanks for the approval to join - be safe and well.

AJB

Last edited:

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Brake pads on the front are an easy and big improvement.
Get a Power Commander from member and sponsor CJWELL, and he will include a great map for you. No need for autotune.
You DEFINITELY will need rearsets. I bought a cheap Chinese set and adjusted them to the highest setting possible. I also put Loctite on every screw. They work fine.
Andreani cartridges are fine. Another great choice is GP; I love mine... and my Ohlins shock with the right spring.
SPAL fan will be important. It is better than stock and eliminates the restrictive shroud of the stock fan.
Some riders say to get a 1.8 bar radiator cap. I used one for a while, but I switched back to the stock unit, which I think is fine for my hot Texas track riding.

Where is the track in Yucatan, and what is its name? It's a big state after all. Do they have a website?