New owner from Aus

daforg

Country flag
Hey all, I picked up a 2015 RC390 this week. It's an insurance purchase from auction, so I wasn't sure what I was getting. It's actually pretty good, needs a bit of TLC and it will fine. I'm intending to turn it into a track-only bike. It's already got the KTM rearsets, Akro slip-on and an upgraded front disk. It has a few other bits too, but just cosmetic. It looks like its stood a bit and hasn't been maintained (3500km in 6 years, filler cap and ignition broken, probably never had an oil change) so I'm flushing all the fluids before I run it.

I'm going to be asking a bunch of questions to help me get it set up for track work. My plan is to get the baseline mechanical and electrical bits sorted, no leaks, etc. then I'll start looking at the conversion. I'm aiming to add/change the following - front cartridges, new rear shock, new tires, new brake pads, engine protectors, race glass, high mount exhaust, then QS/blipper/ECU (?). The order I wrote it is pretty much the order I'll do it in. Anything I'm missing or recommendations?

Last edited:

lvndship

Country flag
Hey Daforg, welcome to the forum! I'm from Aus (Perth) and new here as well. Been a lurker for a while.

Good luck with getting your bike up to scratch, keep us updated with your progress. How much progress have you made since this post?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
In increasing cost order:

1. If you don't remove the side stand, then grind off the wire loop
  2. Clip-ons (easier/cheaper to replace if crashed)
  3. Keyless ignition and fuel cap
  4. Lighter chain/sprockets
  5. Carbon fiber wheels

daforg

Country flag
Hey Daforg, welcome to the forum! I'm from Aus (Perth) and new here as well. Been a lurker for a while.

Good luck with getting your bike up to scratch, keep us updated with your progress. How much progress have you made since this post?

Thanks lot, this forum seems pretty quiet so I've been using local Facebook groups and chats to find info. The bike was pretty good, it needed new locks, ignition and fuel tank, I flushed all the fluids and it runs fine. I had the forks rebuilt with an adjustable spring kit and left the rear for now (it has an aftermarket fixed rate shock). I've stripped off the road gear and waiting for a Tyga belly pan and tail, also some other performance parts (PCV, QS, etc.).

daforg

Country flag
In increasing cost order:

1. If you don't remove the side stand, then grind off the wire loop
  2. Clip-ons (easier/cheaper to replace if crashed)
  3. Keyless ignition and fuel cap
  4. Lighter chain/sprockets
  5. Carbon fiber wheels

That's a big jump from 4 to 5.

rideontt

Country flag
Hey all, I picked up a 2015 RC390 this week. It's an insurance purchase from auction, so I wasn't sure what I was getting. It's actually pretty good, needs a bit of TLC and it will fine. I'm intending to turn it into a track-only bike. It's already got the KTM rearsets, Akro slip-on and an upgraded front disk. It has a few other bits too, but just cosmetic. It looks like its stood a bit and hasn't been maintained (3500km in 6 years, filler cap and ignition broken, probably never had an oil change) so I'm flushing all the fluids before I run it.

I'm going to be asking a bunch of questions to help me get it set up for track work. My plan is to get the baseline mechanical and electrical bits sorted, no leaks, etc. then I'll start looking at the conversion. I'm aiming to add/change the following - front cartridges, new rear shock, new tires, new brake pads, engine protectors, race glass, high mount exhaust, then QS/blipper/ECU (?). The order I wrote it is pretty much the order I'll do it in. Anything I'm missing or recommendations?

cool
what have you selected on
forks
shocks
brake pads
and is race glass windscreen?
curious to know...

daforg

Country flag
cool
what have you selected on
forks
shocks
brake pads
and is race glass windscreen?
curious to know...

By race glass I meant a full fibreglass fairing kit. I ended up sticking with the stock side fairings and bought a Tyga belly pan and tail unit.

I've been working on it slowly, so far I've done:

YSS adjustable spring kit (not full cartridges)
Dynojet PCV
Dynojet QS
Lithium battery
K&N air filter
Brembo SC sintered race pads (front)
Pirelli Supercorsa SC1/SC2
KTM Powerparts race screen
KTM Powerparts lever guards
Tyga race tail
Tyga race belly pan

It already had a couple of upgrades when I got it, Galfer front disk, Powerparts race rearsets, Akrapovic exhaust (with cat). There are still a bunch of things I want to update, but I haven't even had a chance to ride it yet. Rear shock will be a YSS MU456W fully adjustable unit, exhaust will be Tyga full race system and I'll stick some GB Racing engine covers on.

Last edited:

rideontt

Country flag
By race glass I meant a full fibreglass fairing kit. I ended up sticking with the stock side fairings and bought a Tyga belly pan and tail unit.

I've been working on it slowly, so far I've done:

YSS adjustable spring kit (not full cartridges) if you dont mind providing total sag? fully extended - with you sitting on the motorcycle please
Dynojet PCV
Dynojet QS
Lithium battery
K&N air filter
Tyga race tail
Tyga race belly pan

It already had a couple of upgrades when I got it, Galfer front disk, Powerparts race rearsets, Akrapovic exhaust (with cat). There are still a bunch of things I want to update, but I haven't even had a chance to ride it yet. Rear shock will be a YSS MU456W fully adjustable unit, exhaust will be Tyga full race system and I'll stick some GB Racing engine covers on.

daforg

Country flag
I don’t have the numbers, I had both bikes set up and didn’t write the numbers for either, go figure. I’ll get that info when I’m back at my suspension guy for the rear shock install.

daforg

Country flag
Just thought I'd share where I've gotten to so far. My bike is ready for it's first track outing, two days on track next week. Once I'm back next week it will go for decals to be done. After that, there's still a bunch of changes I want to make, adjustable rear shock, full system, ABS delete, key delete.

YSS adjustable spring kit
Akrapovic midpipe and slip-on
Dynojet PCV
Dynojet QS
Lithium battery
K&N air filter
Galfer front disk
KTM Powerparts rearsets
Tyga race tail
Tyga race belly pan
Side stand delete

Attachments

• 9A5310D2.JPG
    9A5310D2.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 15

takobaba

Country flag
Just thought I'd share where I've gotten to so far. My bike is ready for it's first track outing, two days on track next week. Once I'm back next week it will go for decals to be done. After that, there's still a bunch of changes I want to make, adjustable rear shock, full system, ABS delete, key delete.

YSS adjustable spring kit
Akrapovic midpipe and slip-on
Dynojet PCV
Dynojet QS
Lithium battery
K&N air filter
Galfer front disk
KTM Powerparts rearsets
Tyga race tail
Tyga race belly pan
Side stand delete
Wow!

How is your track days going with RC?

daforg

Country flag
Wow!

How is your track days going with RC?
Going very well, the bike has changed some more. I’ve installed the YSS rear shock, engine case protectors and removed the ABS system completely. Lap times are really improving too.

daforg

Country flag
Nice daforg,

I'd be particularly interested in your experience with the YSS MU456W rear shock.
The YSS 456W is brilliant, it’s really transformed the bike. With the stock shock and stiff spring I was experiencing grip issues at the rear and also had the exhaust and belly pan scraping. Now all those issues are gone and the rear is solid. In fact, the front needs another upgrade to match the rear. So I’m swopping out the YSS spring kit for full cartridges.

Last edited: