New user from Portland building a track bike! Questions!

m3hl

Country flag
Supercorsas and racetech springs paired with 7wt.

23528946998_3f1ebbfe8a_b.jpg

m3hl

Country flag
Well, basically burned a whole weekend because of a head gasket failure. I couldn't escape it even after taking all precautions to make the bike run cool. Lame.Yes, it is under warranty, but seriously still a huge waste of time and money.

38508593276_a47ac99078_b.jpg

m3hl

Country flag
No issues fixing the engine under warranty with all your mods?

I have to give a shout-out to Gray Area KTM in Springfield, OR (Who I would believe is user Superpacman here on the forum). They got me squared away. Transferred my warranty for me as I bought the bike used. The experience could not have been more pleasant. Not sure if they even need to disclose mods to KTM as it's a known issue. Might want to message him with more questions. My bike is already home and repaired at $0 cost to me. I am very happy.

john13

Country flag
What windshield are you using on your bike? Looks very snazzy and I think I want it...as I cracked my stock one

also, if your rear sets crapped out, I've had nothing but positive experiences with the TYGA rear sets. Not too expensive but still very nice

Evening This is Peter Hill from Cape Town South Africa,

We have been racing these in the 300 class now into our third year .We have 2 good reliable years with lots of development .
We run 4 in our team and the class has 11 Ktm's to mix it up with the R 3 and Z3.

We also picked up a lot of technical input from our Super single national championships in South Africa for youngsters up to 18 years old.

The bikes do have some motor issues stock when you put them on the track and the youngsters learnt a hard lesson of head gasket failure in most of them.
The rules drafted were stupid and MSA did not listen to good sound advice from experienced racers .
They killed the formulae by not being flexible when the reason for failure was resolved very quickly by the seniors racing the that had more leeway with the race rules .

In short the standard CPU is too lean and runs very hot when raced.
The cooling is not adequate with the standard fuel maps.

The answer in short as to what we did was:

Ditch the thermostat and fit high pressure silicone hoses .
Fit a 1,8 bar radiator cap which raise the operating temp/pressure by 34 deg C before overheating.
fit a power commander with auto tune and quick shift.
Run Motul R 300 Synthetic oil or equivalent and change after every race meet.
Run a 9 NGK plug instead of the standard Champion

The bike is now almost bullet proof and you then start with suspension, suspension brakes and tyres .
we are onto a KTM diet losing weight at the moment

Hillbilly Racing

m3hl

Country flag
I did the 1.6 bar cap. Would that matter? also I couldn't find a good thread on the thermostat delete.

m3hl

Country flag
Redemption at T Hill! Had a great season opener and the bike didnt skip a beat after wringing its neck all weekend. These were my first FULL days on the bike since getting it "done" and it was a blast. I am still not used to braking deep with the bike. You can just tap the brakes on it. I do miss the power, but it makes the passes much more satisfying.

I still need the shift spring. There were a few false-neutrals (especially when i was tired). I also have a new MC to put on, but otherwise im good for the year. If a second-hand ohlins pops up i will absolutely buy it.

39111885650_36497a2288_b.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about the track eating your bike, as long as your gearing is right you will be fine. This will be my third season on the RC390 at PIR and I've only had minimal issues that weren't the cause of the long straight. Come have some fun with us, Paxton and I will help you out!

Cheers,
Austin

m3hl

Country flag
I wouldn't worry too much about the track eating your bike, as long as your gearing is right you will be fine. This will be my third season on the RC390 at PIR and I've only had minimal issues that weren't the cause of the long straight. Come have some fun with us, Paxton and I will help you out!

Cheers,
Austin

Looks l wont be able to make the April NRS unfortunately. I am taking a bunch of time off right before (MotoGP) and not sure if my boss will allow it. I will just plan on June.

m3hl

Country flag
If you have any questions about safety wiring or need to borrow a belly pan I can help.

I totally spaced on it... and signed up for motofit that weekend.... I am still iffy on racing but will for sure do NRS either way. Just may have to wait until next year. I do want to learn about safety wiring however.

I totally spaced on it... and signed up for motofit that weekend.... I am still iffy on racing but will for sure do NRS either way. Just may have to wait until next year. I do want to learn about safety wiring however.

Right on well doing NRS is a start, I think you are more prepared then you think but more track time is always good. First review the OMRRA rule book under section G for what all needs to be safety wired. Its definitely not the funnest thing to do and get ready to have your patience tested. Buy a nice spring loaded center punch and lot of quality 1/16" drill bits. You'll obviously want some safety wire pliers and wire itself. I practiced on a few bolts before I did the ones from my motorcycle.