Question Newer engine to older frame

kostean

Country flag
Maybe someone has more experience to comment, what are the options to get the gear indicator/neutral to work for the 2019 engine at the 2015 frame, dash and ECU?

To a bit of surprise were to me the gear pickup mechanism from the shift drum has been redesigned physically and logically for the newer engine model so there is no way how to obtain either neutral or gear position info through the same wiring.

Anyone who has encountered the same challenge? Is there a way how to integrate a new 2019 engine without the change of the whole electronics of the bike together with the wiring harness and ECU?
Maybe for the most straightforward mechanical change, is the old 2015 shift drum possible to be fitted to the new 2019 engine which would, in turn, bring possible to use the old model gear sensor and connector?

Toddy34

Country flag
Following. I have the same problem. I'm wondering if this can be sorted but moding the wiring on the motor side but... why are the KTM wiring diagrams hieroglyphics? I figured all I need is to figure out the wires for N and gears 1-6 on the new motor and it would be easy. but I can't figure out the wiring on the 2017 gear position sensor. Is there anyone who can interpret this?

Attachments

• 2017 Gear Position Sensor.jpg
    2017 Gear Position Sensor.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 5

Fasteddy

Country flag
I think I have an answer, the early version has 8 wires, 1 for ground and 1 each for every gear position1 thru 6 and N, 'analog', that's 7 I/O pins on the ECU and microprocessor!
So to save I/O and stream line things the newer sensor uses 5 wires, 2 would be power and ground from the ECU and 3 would be binary coded decimal to ECU i/O pins 'Digital'.
In binary / 2's compliment 3 wires can represent 7 states. It would not be to complicated to make a converter to go analog 7 wire to digital 3 wire or vice versa...

projek7r

Country flag
Ive installed the newer motor and just spliced in the coil pick up. Maybe ill do a little investigative work using a multimeter. Do you know the voltage that goes through these wires?

Fasteddy

Country flag
Ive installed the newer motor and just spliced in the coil pick up. Maybe ill do a little investigative work using a multimeter. Do you know the voltage that goes through these wires?
Sort of, I do not have a wiring diagram of the later model, so I would need that to figure it out. I would NOT recommend the old just try randomly connecting wires as the connections go directly into the instrument cluster and the ECU. The newer style motor sensor uses voltage and ground from the ECU, if I recall this is 5 volts. If I had the diagram and / or a newer sensor I could produce a schematic of a converter using a single 74LS138 chip.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Sort of, I do not have a wiring diagram of the later model, so I would need that to figure it out. I would NOT recommend the old just try randomly connecting wires as the connections go directly into the instrument cluster and the ECU. The newer style motor sensor uses voltage and ground from the ECU, if I recall this is 5 volts. If I had the diagram and / or a newer sensor I could produce a schematic of a converter using a single 74LS138 chip.
If you make a converter enabling my 2020 engine to plug into my 2016 harness, you can name your price!

projek7r

Country flag
I think I have it somewhere from another member who helped me figure out which wires to splice my coil pick up...ill look for it and post it here

Fasteddy

Country flag
At this point I don't think that it is binary, I have found pics of the sensor with wiring and plug and it appears that 2 wires are for crank pulse coil and 3 for gear sensor. I can likely figure something out but not with out a newer sensor and a complete wiring diagram.