OBD2 Connector

Fasteddy

Country flag
Yes it can query a non standard PID. I have not set that up or fully explored it yet. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to this until maybe late next week. My secret hope is that someone (*cough* Fasteddy *cough*) can do the final work before my next race June 20-21. :)

Well fortunately I am kid free for a couple of days, so I have some time, But, I seem to have the KTM bug and have bought another bike, used super duke 990 that I have to take a trip to pickup on Sunday. I see an intervention in my future! I will PM you when I get home...

On the odd PID's remember that the ECU and likely some of the coding was originally intended for a Sea Doo that includes a multi cylinder and turbo version, guessing they just went "oh here is where we can insert the RPM input...." or /* changed for rpm */

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I will be collecting more data tonight, If I have time this weekend I will start working with the Sparkfun OBD Arduino shield, have you played with Arduino's? very python / C.... oriented.

:) I've done a LOT of Arduino work. I've actually created and tested a number of embedded solutions, tho I tend to use Pro Mini or RBBB boards for my projects I'm fine with using a setup where we don't have to spend a bunch of time creating a board and use an off the shelf solution if it means a faster implementation. :) I've created a few boards with Atmel chips that I've bootstrapped as Arduino as well. I had actually been considering this module rather than the sparkfun one:
Freematics

I'm sure you've probably spent more time looking at the various modules and options tho, so I'm perfectly happy to defer to whichever hardware solution you prefer.

micahpearlman

:) I've done a LOT of Arduino work. I've actually created and tested a number of embedded solutions, tho I tend to use Pro Mini or RBBB boards for my projects I'm fine with using a setup where we don't have to spend a bunch of time creating a board and use an off the shelf solution if it means a faster implementation. :) I've created a few boards with Atmel chips that I've bootstrapped as Arduino as well. I had actually been considering this module rather than the sparkfun one:
Freematics

I'm sure you've probably spent more time looking at the various modules and options tho, so I'm perfectly happy to defer to whichever hardware solution you prefer.

I actually like this board: https://www.tindie.com/products/micahpearlman/zero-tiny-ble/

:) (it's an Atmel with a BLE radio). (And yeah it's my little side company)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micahpearlman

For a DAQ, really don't need much horsepower, just a lot of IO (so one of the bigger Arduinos should be fine). What I would like to see in a final setup:

* High update rate GPS (10Hz or above).
* OBDII (this could connect to an external OBD or have a STN11100 -- I actually think an external OBD connected via USB would be cheaper -- I have a USB OBD for $10 on Amazon)
* Ports of misc additional sensors. Suspension linear pots would be cool.
* SD card storage
* Bluetooth LE communication (though USB would be fine)
* LCD support. Would be nice to get RPM and lap times (from the GPS)

You could build out your own DAQ cobbled together with misc Sparkfun/Adafruit/Seeedstudio parts for less then $75-100 (still cheaper then an XT racing IR lap timer). You could also design and build your own custom board (really not that hard).

Really one of the biggest PITA's is data the viewing software. Right now I'm just dumping everything in a spreadsheet and generate graphs. Would be nice to have maps and playback capabilities.

micahpearlman

was that all English? Sorry but will all of this mean I don't have to spend money on a power commander? Parillaguy

I wouldn't worry about it. This is just working out an efficient formula to break your brand new motorcycle. Just a bunch of guys with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :)

Seriously, this is just a way to log data from the various built in sensors on the RC so you can monitor real world performance of you and your motorcycle. So for example, this can monitor throttle position and tell you that you are being a wussy going into turn 1 at Thunderhill or tell you that you are overheating going up the hill to turn 7 at Sears Point...

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
was that all English? Sorry but will all of this mean I don't have to spend money on a power commander? Parillaguy
What Michael said... This is just logging data about the state of the bike. There are a such of sensors the bike uses, and this gives us access to them to see what those values were while you were riding. It's helpful to reviews your performance on the track with empirical evidence, plug you get information like what the fuel mixture in, especially useful at X room rpm at Y throttle setting.

For doing exhaust development work I'd be a tuning timing tool to be used in conjunction WITH a PCV, but not a replacement for one!

Basically were guys who tinker with electronics, have Piles of electronics components on our desk, have been asked by our partner and friends if you've successfully FINALLY managed to buy all of China yet when they see the mountain of components we get shipped weekly... And Now we've found a new easy way to justify all that time and money spent doing all of that to Teh Wifey with "See See! I can build a multi thousand dollar data acquisition device with sons if the other guys on the forum. Because I NEED this for the racebike, but doing it this way will save thousands! At least!" :-D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
monitor real world performance of you and your motorcycle. So for example, this can monitor throttle position and tell you that you are being a wussy going into turn 1 at Thunderhill or tell you that you are overheating going up the hill to turn 7 at Sears Point...

The last of my parts arrived last night. I'll try hacking my cable together later this afternoon...

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Any idea if one can "Read out the fault memory" using the ODB2 connection? That's one of the steps noted for the initial servicing (well, every servicing) but I'm -=OBVIOUSLY=- not going to go into the dealership and pay for them to perform just that one step when I'm doing the rest myself...

psych0hans

Country flag
Can't we just use a standard OBD2 reader? I use Harry's lap timer to record my laps and it would be brilliant if I could use a Bluetooth OBD2 reader in conjunction with it. I use a 5hz GPS device along with my iPhone.

micahpearlman

Can't we just use a standard OBD2 reader? I use Harry's lap timer to record my laps and it would be brilliant if I could use a Bluetooth OBD2 reader in conjunction with it. I use a 5hz GPS device along with my iPhone.

Yes. You will need to build your own cable.

fs1ephil

I built this cable and it works great on my scan tool however It wont read coolant temp, can someone tell me where they say earth goes to 4/5 does that mean to both pin 4 and pin 5 or to either of them because ive only connect earth to pin 5
Thanks. Will put up a you tube video on the live data I can read etc

Fasteddy

Country flag
Either or both should work,they are usually tied together internally on most scan tools if your scan tool works / connects at all it is not the cable it is the tool not reading the PID for coolant.

View attachment 1397

micahpearlman

I built this cable and it works great on my scan tool however It wont read coolant temp, can someone tell me where they say earth goes to 4/5 does that mean to both pin 4 and pin 5 or to either of them because ive only connect earth to pin 5
Thanks. Will put up a you tube video on the live data I can read etc

I put 4 and 5 to ground but if you are getting any reading you are probably good. If you aren't getting coolant temp maybe there is another PID you need to set? Fasteddy may know the exact PID since it seems to work on his setup.

fs1ephil

Hi, I pulled the cable apart and earthed the other pin, all working as it should and reading the coolant temp to.
my scan tool is a few years old so maybe it was that. I have noticed the TP is 89.5% WOT, shouldn't it be 100%
and if so I think it'll be worth looking to make sure the butterfly is fully opening

micahpearlman

Hi, I pulled the cable apart and earthed the other pin, all working as it should and reading the coolant temp to.
my scan tool is a few years old so maybe it was that. I have noticed the TP is 89.5% WOT, shouldn't it be 100%
and if so I think it'll be worth looking to make sure the butterfly is fully opening

I saw that with the TP as well. I assumed that it was just a calibration thing but it may definitely be worthwhile to double check that the butterfly is fully open.