Oil disapearing

petrolhead

Country flag
Is there an update?
Yep, it's still burning oil. After a top up and 400Kms. of highway riding I couldn't see oil through the sight glass.(will update the exact quantity in a few days.)
I spent most of my time between 6&7 on the tacho, cruising at around 100kmph.

Anybody know of an underlying issue which is otherwise unnoticed ?

petrolhead

Country flag
Let me share a few anecdotal remarks me and my team have observed here. The oil consumption is way out of spec post the 2019 manufactured bikes, especially the ADV Series. Every single ADV/390 out there is plagued with oil consumption with less than 5k kms on the odo, it's insidious and sinisterly well managed by KTM, in making sure the owners just don't know a thing when the engine can throw a rod and it's very much possible. Sad! My observation is that the design of the entire piston is different from that of the old piston purely due to cost cutting and this is when issues have started to pop-up.

Back then for older 390s KTM recommends 60 to 70 ml every 1000 kms as normal beyond that it's other checks and vagaries. Unfortunately the current gen consume upwards of 150 to 200 ml every 1000 kms and I've personally witnessed many ADVs and Dukes with no light in sight, with nothing but folks carrying a can of oil with them and top it whenever necessary. :D

Cheers!
That explains a lot ! Thank you for the post.
But it seems that not everyone is have this recurring issue.
I'm wondering if there's a way to get this issue sorted from the dealer ?