Our First RC390 Track Bike Build Video!

kostean

Country flag
Great to see someone still considering choosing the RC390 as a racing platform to invest and develop. For some while, I started to get an impression the 390s fall out from the selection when racing usage is to be considered as I have seen only R3 and Kawasaki 400s been rebuilt for track already for some years.

Having 2 CUP series bikes, I am still on the impression (especially if you get your hands at well maintained CUP bike) that is the best bang-for-buck you can get, considering how many racing parts already come installed from the factory. Rebuilding a street version is always an option as well, but just concluding, that bringing that to a level of CUP bike setup will not be in any way cheaper in total worth.

Not to be disappointed with the outcome, suggest addressing the cylinder head gasket issue the first- not sure if that year model already had the upgraded head design with water jacket bridge, but that's the root of all issues.

I thought I'd share the excitement as we start off on our trackbike build. Mods, if this isn't okay please delete.

Great to see someone still considering choosing the RC390 as a racing platform to invest and develop. For some while, I started to get an impression the 390s fall out from the selection when racing usage is to be considered as I have seen only R3 and Kawasaki 400s been rebuilt for track already for some years.

Having 2 CUP series bikes, I am still on the impression (especially if you get your hands at well maintained CUP bike) that is the best bang-for-buck you can get, considering how many racing parts already come installed from the factory. Rebuilding a street version is always an option as well, but just concluding, that bringing that to a level of CUP bike setup will not be in any way cheaper in total worth.

Not to be disappointed with the outcome, suggest addressing the cylinder head gasket issue the first- not sure if that year model already had the upgraded head design with water jacket bridge, but that's the root of all issues.
Very good. Nice to see some newfound appreciation for the 390. Ive raced one for 4 seasons and I still have a blast on it. Yes 3 head gaskets, ( yours should be a bit better as that model has the bridge) gearbox jumping out of 4th and intermittent ignition problems but its still a great little package.
For a start, sort the suspension, hh front brake pads, get a fuelling unit, exhaust and open the airbox. Tune to suit. All the info you need is on this forum. Your going to enjoy it. I can tell!

Last edited: