PCV QS stopped working - Solution and question included

Karfanatik

Country flag
Hey all,
2019 RC390, PCV+QS, etc.

So one day a couple weeks ago I head out on the highway, hit the ramp and gun it, only to slam the limiter as I try to quickshift. I've had it on about 11 months, worked flawlessly ever since I installed it. Anyways, I grab a couple tools, multimeter, and start undoing and testing everything and it looked like everything was cool, no wires touching, everything still intact and clean. Went out again and had a couple shifts where it worked but 95% of the time, busted. At this point, pissed. What the hell could it be I wondered. Then I remembered I adjusted my clutch right before my full licence exam the day that the QS stopped working. Last friggin night I go and loosened the lever a touch and boom. QS works as it did before.

Now my question. Why?? Why is an ever so slightly "disengaged" clutch the culprit of a quickshifter not working. I know there is a switch in the clutch lever but is that it? Would slight disengagement send a signal to the ECU causing the malfunction? Geniunely curious with this one.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
My question. Why?? Why is an ever so slightly "disengaged" clutch the culprit of a quickshifter not working. I know there is a switch in the clutch lever but is that it? Would slight disengagement send a signal to the ECU causing the malfunction? Geniunely curious with this one.
I think that it's unrelated and coincidental. The quickshifter works via a momentary connection switch on the shift shaft link rod. When you shift, the switch closes, makes the connection, and the ignition is cut for whatever delay time you setup the PCv to delay by. That's all the quick shifter is... an inline switch. If it's not working either:
1) switch is failing
2) break in the wires making intermittent connection
3) loose connection at the wires to the PCv box

It can't be anything else. My guess is you have an issue with it being #2 and while you were adjusting things, you jostled the wires, and the connection is good again, for now.

Karfanatik

Country flag
I think that it's unrelated and coincidental. The quickshifter works via a momentary connection switch on the shift shaft link rod. When you shift, the switch closes, makes the connection, and the ignition is cut for whatever delay time you setup the PCv to delay by. That's all the quick shifter is... an inline switch. If it's not working either:
1) switch is failing
2) break in the wires making intermittent connection
3) loose connection at the wires to the PCv box

It can't be anything else. My guess is you have an issue with it being #2 and while you were adjusting things, you jostled the wires, and the connection is good again, for now.
Precisely why I asked what the deal is. From what I already knew about the quickshifter, its a simple on and on device. It was just extremely weird to me during troubleshooting that the the shifter does in fact show continuity when I shift up. I even had the connections cleaned and reset. It was just when I gave the clutch a bit more play at the lever, the quickshifter started working again. I think I'm gonna warranty this one out just to be safe.