Pegs removal - Size bolts?

Chloe

Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a KTM RC 390. I'm in love!!!

I have a little question... I removed the rear pegs. I just want to know, what is the right bolts size to replace the original ones? Because, the original bolts use for the pegs does't fit now. Meanwhile, I covered the holes with tape to prevent it from dust.

Thanks for your help

MrGrody

I'd just take em to a hardware store home depot or so. They have sizers there. Just get shorter ones as the original ones stick out a tad.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fs1ephil

Get some flush anodised orange bolts like these.
image.jpg
Just remeber to remove the bolts now and then as water seems to get in through the little holes in the top centre of each tube. Why the holes weren't drilled at the bottom of the tubes baffles me.

Last edited:

Guyhowdy

image.jpgA la Ryanthegreat1, went to the hardware store and bought 4 black, nylon push in fasteners for under a dollar. Took off the MNNTHBX passenger block offs that I had on for a day and didn't like. The nylon fasteners are lighter/more aero/easier to obtain/and imo look better if any of these things matter.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^
I did exactly this. The push-in fasteners I got have slightly smaller heads, but they still look fine. I did the same thing for the spool and rear slider holes in the swingarm.

twinturba

Country flag
Great info on a cheap Mod! I Decided to remove the passenger pegs for a cleaner look and to remove a little weight too. Thought I would post a pic of mine and also the fastener info for those looking to do this in the future.
IMG_7151-710999.JPG
IMG_7134-708946.JPG

xplodee

While I was trying to open it yesterday. Somehow ended up with this :

a1af340ddc8d4535ee7dd08add07ed5d.jpg

Stripped screw ☹️

Other screws were also tight but I managed to open them.

Any idea how to open this somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCinBC

Country flag
you're going to need to use an EZ-out. Either that or use a drill to remove the head of the screw completely to allow you to slide the footrest off, then you can use pliers to remove what's left of the bolt. I recently had to do just that with a stainless bolt on the roof rack for my car

xplodee

you're going to need to use an EZ-out. Either that or use a drill to remove the head of the screw completely to allow you to slide the footrest off, then you can use pliers to remove what's left of the bolt. I recently had to do just that with a stainless bolt on the roof rack for my car

Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting an iron strip welded into the screw hole and then try to open it.

Ever tried that ?

RCinBC

Country flag
yes, that works too, I didn't suggest it as not many folks have access to a welder. It can make a mess of the powder coat when the weld splatters so maybe cover stuff up before you go hot

xplodee

yes, that works too, I didn't suggest it as not many folks have access to a welder. It can make a mess of the powder coat when the weld splatters so maybe cover stuff up before you go hot

Actually we have a lot of Welders in India but not much guys with drilling experience.

Powder coat, welding marks and other overheat are the things I'm scared of.
Some heat resistant tape would help I suppose. (Just got this in mind).

I'll wrap the whole peg with tape and find a good welder.
Thanks for idea. I'll try and update.

Biker

Country flag
While I was trying to open it yesterday. Somehow ended up with this :

a1af340ddc8d4535ee7dd08add07ed5d.jpg

Stripped screw ☹️

Other screws were also tight but I managed to open them.

Any idea how to open this somehow?

You could try cutting a slot in the head and then using a nice big screwdriver to loosen it. Also spray plenty of stuff like wd40 to try to loosen the threads. Have done this in the past with success.

xplodee

You could try cutting a slot in the head and then using a nice big screwdriver to loosen it. Also spray plenty of stuff like wd40 to try to loosen the threads. Have done this in the past with success.

Sorry I couldn't update here..

I found a good welder shop and the guy just took a minute & 20₹ (some 0.29$ ) to unscrew this and the right side mirror screw.

He welded an iron piece and then just a twist to loosen it.

Later, I got new Screws from service centre but they ain't black like the stock ounces. They are shiny chrome, so I'm about to spray paint them.

zx2slow

I used plastic panel rivets, specifically Dorman 963-056D. Found these at O'Reilly's auto parts for $3USD.

They fit perfectly, covered the pipe end perfectly and are snug but still removable.

skaragianis

The bolt is a 6mm hex or allen key. Be very careful to select the right size. I knocked the allen in lightly with a hammer tonight; the one from our kit. It will be nice and snug. Then lightly again on the horizontal to break the threadlock. Zero issues unscrewing from there. Most allen key sets come with a slightly smaller than 6mm too. This will likely result in the above picture