Petrol tank removal question

commandodave

Posted elsewhere i asked for a wiring diagram so I can install some heated grips.

As a corollary, "How in the heck does one remove the petrol tank?"

I tried to dismount it, but I am obviously overlooking some fasteners, as it is still solidly mounted. Again the owner's manual tells me how to remove the side panels, but not the petrol tank.

Previously to removing the side panels, I always thought that the Italians designing the fasteners for the bodywork panels on my Aprilia Futura were devious, but the Austrians take the prize!

ArkansasDave

Two bolts under the battery and two in the back. Make sure you unhook the battery and unplug the ecu. Then there is an electrical connector, and a couple of rubber hoses on the bottom.

Treachery

Country flag
Thanks, Dave. I was going to offer assistance, but I couldn't remember where the (hateful) last two screws were. Mine's coming off as soon as I get a warm day to bypass the ABS.

ArkansasDave

Thanks, Dave. I was going to offer assistance, but I couldn't remember where the (hateful) last two screws were. Mine's coming off as soon as I get a warm day to bypass the ABS.

I had to remove mine several times in the removal of the motor and installation of the pcv

commandodave

Thanks, I did not think to look under the battery. I was afraid it was going to be something like the procedure for the Duke, where you have to cut the heads off bolts to fabricate screws to keep the tank from warping.

Two bolts under the battery and two in the back. Make sure you unhook the battery and unplug the ecu. Then there is an electrical connector, and a couple of rubber hoses on the bottom.

commandodave

Actually, I misspoke. The proper question was how to remove the plastic cover over the fuel tank. Once i figured out that the sides were a press fit over a post, I merely pried them off. Then it was a matter of removing the cover of the fuel filler, and Bob's your uncle! Don't forget to reinstall the fuel door on the bare tank if you are keeping the plastic cover off for any length of time.