Please identify these bits in the engine oil

avs

Country flag
I have 1 (abbreviated due to high afternoon winds) track day on the engine, but the oil looked fairly dark. Upon draining the oil and removing the screens there was what appears to be a plastic tooth like shape and debris (paint chips) on the larger screen, and maybe loose sealant on the smaller screen. (the paint looked more orange than the picture)
My concern is the plastic bit. I hate to tear the engine apart, its seems to run and shift okay. Could this be a random foreign object and not an internal bit that has broken off? thanks for any knowledgeable responses.

IMG_0744.jpg

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The only plastic gear in the engine is the oil pump drive gear on the clutch side. Other then that there are small pieces of plastic everywhere but none would create a problem.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just pull the clutch cover and you will see it being driven off the primary gear. You will have to rotate the engine over by hand to see the whole circumference.

avs

Country flag
Just pull the clutch cover and you will see it being driven off the primary gear. You will have to rotate the engine over by hand to see the whole circumference.
Sorry to be dense, but I only see steel gears, and finer pitch. Please see attached, am I missing something behind the clutch? The repair manual doesn't show anything hidden from this view.

IMG_0746.jpg

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I am apparently the world densest mechanic. I was confusing this with the 690 motors, I apologize. There are no plastic gears in the 390. Plastic only exists in the cam chain guides or the oil rail for the transmission. The oil rail has a tab on it which could be the issue but there is no way to tell that without a tear down. How new is this motor?

Attachments

• Screenshot (38).png
    Screenshot (38).png
    251.4 KB · Views: 11

avs

Country flag
I have put less than 2hrs on it. I bought it as 'new' from the dealer. I was told that it had been used by KTM for a media event, maybe Chuckwalla. it is a '15 cup version so no odometer, and as far I can tell no clock to indicate engine run time?

avs

Country flag
The piece looks a lot like the tab on the oil rail, 90238013000. I think the repair manual describes as a 'oil spray tube', the tab looks to be an anti-rotation device. I suspect the hamfisted mechanic that stripped half the fasteners, and left some fasteners just missing, is the same one that assembled this crankcase and sheared the tab off. A $3 part that requires the case to be split. :(

I wonder how long the gearbox will last with the oil spray hitting the wall.

Last edited: