possibly a new updates for the engine in 2017

simpletty

Country flag
Getting to the mechanicals, the 2017 KTM Duke 390 is expected to be powered by an updated version of the 373.2 cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine from the first generation KTM Duke 390. Modifications will likely include improved power and torque delivery and more control on their delivery with incorporation of an advanced ride-by-wire technology. The updated engine is said to get a second counter-balancer shaft also, which will help reduce the vibrations coming from the motor. Updated ECU and improved cooling system round-up the reported mechanical changes.

read this on ktm inda blog

Diploman

If the rumored engine updates actually materialize in a revised 2017 390, we are unlikely to see it in North America before 2018. KTM/Bajaj's normal MO is to roll out changes/updates in its home Indian market first for real-world developmental testing. If the new part proves successful in the difficult Indian road environment, then it is subsequently rolled out to other markets a year or two later. An example of this is the OEM slipper clutch, which appeared on India market bikes in 2015 and is only now being seen on 2016 NA Dukes (not RC's). Don't hold your breath waiting to see a revised 390 engine in 2017, unless it first appears in India in 2016..

simpletty

Country flag
2017 rc390

I'm not expecting to see 2017 RC's at all.

I hope they dont drop it from the line of bikes for a while. If they do discontinue the bike, I see parts for the 2015-16 becoming a harder commodity to find down the road, lets say 7-8 years from now. The popularity of A2 machines in the european/asian market im sure is driving them to produce this for a north american market. I have always been a fan of light furn small displacement bikes and hope they stick around a bit longer. All I know is that i see yamaha R3's everywhere since they introduced them last year. In fact I have one in my garage that I no longer get to ride because wifey passed her motorcycle lic yesterday.

ray

Dint some of the KTM top guy say they will discontinue the engine from 2017? The 2016 version was supposed to have facial upgrades albeit useful ones but they dont seem to have made it to the markets. I doubt they will invest more into this. Most likely a new 490CC engine esp for a ADV platform since that segment of market is crying fro one here in Asia. Also, its high time they develop a new engine learning from their previous mistakes.

Treachery

Country flag
I don't know why they wouldn't stay in the market in this displacement segment. Going larger would change the racing class, and would certainly price it above the competition even farther. From what I gather, both 390s are sales successes, despite the emerging reliability issues. Even if they did "update," the biggest negative factor is the poor build QC from Bajaj, and that association doesn't appear to be going away.

ray

I guess KTM's primary market for these class is Asia. So I doubt they will continue with the same segment since this is a emerging market. Also, the QC issues dont have anything to do with BAJAJ, its all KTM and they engineering. Bajaj has the same engine (detuned a tad bit) on their models which have 20% of the problems with KTM.

Dygear

I'm really hoping that they come out with a RC690 to replace the 390 if they do decide to kill it off. It would be awesome and good timing for them in 2017 when the MotoGP bike goes onto the grid.

ToraTora

Country flag
I'm really hoping that they come out with a RC690 to replace the 390 if they do decide to kill it off. It would be awesome and good timing for them in 2017 when the MotoGP bike goes onto the grid.

[rant]There are so many big bikes around why wish for more? We would be much better off if KTM brought the rest of the current line to the States--where there is no competition. Americans already don't know how to ride so why encourage more opportunities in how to not ride? The 390 is much too big of a bike on which to properly learn--the 690 would make it even worse. We should all be advocating for smaller bikes to be brought in so that here in the States people could actually learn how to ride their bikes.

Why do yo think in professional racing currently Americans are so far behind the curve? We send our best cats to Moto2 and they end up last. Moto2! Yeah it's super competitive, but it's not even close to their top level riders. And if you look in the smaller classes even down to the Rookies Cup Americas can't compete. This comes from our total lack of support for small bikes.

At Laguna for WSBK the 14 year olds were racing RC390s, and well they actually out rode some much older riders, but these kids shouldn't be riding a 390 they should be racing in pre-gp so they can develop their skill sets--skill sets that are much harder to learn on a 390, but we don't have pre-gp here in the States. Why? Because SPS. Everyone thinks you have to have bigger and bigger and bigger bikes. Which is totally ridiculous since they can't even properly ride the smaller bikes.[/rant]

ASM

[rant]There are so many big bikes around why wish for more? We would be much better off if KTM brought the rest of the current line to the States--where there is no competition. Americans already don't know how to ride so why encourage more opportunities in how to not ride? The 390 is much too big of a bike on which to properly learn--the 690 would make it even worse. We should all be advocating for smaller bikes to be brought in so that here in the States people could actually learn how to ride their bikes.

Why do yo think in professional racing currently Americans are so far behind the curve? We send our best cats to Moto2 and they end up last. Moto2! Yeah it's super competitive, but it's not even close to their top level riders. And if you look in the smaller classes even down to the Rookies Cup Americas can't compete. This comes from our total lack of support for small bikes.

At Laguna for WSBK the 14 year olds were racing RC390s, and well they actually out rode some much older riders, but these kids shouldn't be riding a 390 they should be racing in pre-gp so they can develop their skill sets--skill sets that are much harder to learn on a 390, but we don't have pre-gp here in the States. Why? Because SPS. Everyone thinks you have to have bigger and bigger and bigger bikes. Which is totally ridiculous since they can't even properly ride the smaller bikes.[/rant]

While I agree that we are living in a "bigger is better" society around here, the question to proper learning how to ride is only half-way answered by small cc bikes. License requirements in the USA are laughable (for both cars and bikes). We really should adopt some of the ways of other countries to introduce people to a life on either 4 or 2 wheels...

WA390

While I agree that we are living in a "bigger is better" society around here, the question to proper learning how to ride is only half-way answered by small cc bikes. License requirements in the USA are laughable (for both cars and bikes). We really should adopt some of the ways of other countries to introduce people to a life on either 4 or 2 wheels...

I agree, we should have a tier license system for bike like other countries. Nothing stopped me from getting a 600 with only a written test that gave me a permit. 3 months later I totaled it and lucky I was able to walk away. Lack of skills was my mistake and lack of regulation for new riders was another.