R6 Master cylinder

rogergreene

Slight clearance problem hits windshield, could trim about 1/8 inch form windshield or install steering stops also wires are about one inch to short I'm using the ABS and had a custom line made and am using some 20.00 Chinese CNC levers that are nice quality. Brake feel and firmness at the lever is much improved over stock. Paid 100.00 for the R6 Master and 68.00 for brake line and had no problem with bleeding. I removed the caliper and pumped the brakes up and replace brake line that i have the spec's for had everything hooked and with the master bleeder open i pushed the caliper pistons back out and that caused the fluid back up thru the new line and the master and after that i mounted the caliper and bleed the master one more time

Treachery

Country flag
Thanks for posting up. Going to see if I can get this moved to the proper section so more folks will see it.

Diploman

Nice looking installation, RG! I was interested in your observations about brake feel at the lever with this new setup. The R6 Brembo MC, if I recall correctly, was designed to drive two 4-piston calipers, and is probably a 19 mm bore. This is quite a big unit for a single-calliper application - I imagine you will have a very short stroke at the lever. It was prudent of you to keep the ABS, since you may be able to overpower the tire's traction limit easily. Are you planning to race with this brake? Will follow your observations with interest.

I am in the process of adapting a Frando 15mm radial MC to my Duke, of course keeping the ABS. Like you, I will be changing the MC-to-ABS brake line. In the past I have had great success using this DIY Magnum kit, which besides being inexpensive, allows for easy and exact customization of your brake line to fit. The lines and fittings are high-quality and durable. Very easy to use. I recommend them if you have the DIY urge or want to spend less.

17412460 | Magnum BYO stainless brake hose, 3 foot section - $12.56 : MG Cycle, Moto Guzzi Parts and Accessories available online at MGCycle.com

17420299 | Magnum BYO brake banjo fitting 35 degrees 10mm - $15.26 : MG Cycle, Moto Guzzi Parts and Accessories available online at MGCycle.com

Nice job, RG. Merry Christmas!

rogergreene

the 390 original master cylinder I heard is a 12 mm and the R6 is a 16 mm the through is short but at the lever the feel is great . Before I upgraded to the 320mm Galfer rotor and pads.
I Raced a RZ to a championship in the 80s along with a FZ600 super bike i would have killed for a brake like this RC390 has i will probably do some track days, I have not done anything to the engine or exhaust waiting to see if anyone can figure out how to reprogram the stock PCM

Last edited:

Diploman

RG, I didn't realize the R6 MC was a 16mm bore - that is only 1mm from optimum, (radial MC equivalent is about 3mm greater than axial MC: eg, 12mm axial = 15mm radial) so you are still in good territory and should have good feel at the lever. That is a really nice conversion and it should give you a fine front brake!

psych0hans

Country flag
Zombie thread revival time, I installed an R6 master cylinder on my ninja 250 coupled with a 4 pot radial calliper. Uber awesome feel and one finger braking. I’m sure this would be a brilliant replacement for the stock master.

Attachments

• B615BC3B-CED9-4176-87D2-71EAB15662F2.jpeg
    B615BC3B-CED9-4176-87D2-71EAB15662F2.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 171

Zigoron

Zombie thread revival time, I installed an R6 master cylinder on my ninja 250 coupled with a 4 pot radial calliper. Uber awesome feel and one finger braking. I’m sure this would be a brilliant replacement for the stock master.
Wow....gr8 upgrade there buddy....I also want to upgrade my stock braking setup on my 2017 RC390. I would like to get a better caliper and a master cylinder but should not break the bank[emoji23].....do you have any suggestions?

Last edited: