Racing weight reduction

mdabyo

Country flag
hey guys, wondering what things people have hacked off the bike to save weight :)

Right now i am thinking:
- Open airbox - small savings
- battery
- ABS removal
+ all the usual race parts, bodywork, rearsets, etc.

What else can be removed? have people removed?

-J

green_bread

Country flag
The Rottweiler Performance MFS (fairing stay) is good for saving weight. I had already removed all of the lights, etc... but simply swapping from the stock fairing stay to the Rottweiler MFS and removing the stock gauge cluster saved me an additional 3 lbs.

Some people have taken the time to cut the unneeded tabs off of the frame. Thats a lot of work for small savings, though.

Marchesini is making a set of wheels for the RC 390 now. Pop them on and thats an additional 14 lbs of weight savings... plus the benefits of lighter wheels. $3000 a set is kind of steep, though.

If you flash your ECU with the Akra map, you can remove the emissions crap without throwing a CEL.

Im sure there are more things you can do. Just search through the forum here and youll probably find some good info.

diego

Some ideas:

-An exhaust will reduce weight (between 2-7 lbs depending on what exhaust you choose)
-Take off mirrors and take off bar ends, instead install mirror end bars
-Change battery to a Lithium battery light weight (I dont remember but is a lot of weight reduce)
-Remove tail plate holder
-Remove led light Day Time Lights
-Remove Tool kit and Remove all Tool kit box under the seat (I dont know how, but I will try it in the future and use the battery place instead.

diego

I forgot,
Changing the stock fan with the spal fan also reduce weight. and if you do an open airbox it will lean the mixture, so i dont recommend it.

KTMPerformance

The Rottweiler Performance MFS (fairing stay) is good for saving weight. I had already removed all of the lights, etc... but simply swapping from the stock fairing stay to the Rottweiler MFS and removing the stock gauge cluster saved me an additional 3 lbs.

Some people have taken the time to cut the unneeded tabs off of the frame. Thats a lot of work for small savings, though.

Marchesini is making a set of wheels for the RC 390 now. Pop them on and thats an additional 14 lbs of weight savings... plus the benefits of lighter wheels. $3000 a set is kind of steep, though.

If you flash your ECU with the Akra map, you can remove the emissions crap without throwing a CEL.

Im sure there are more things you can do. Just search through the forum here and youll probably find some good info.

To be fair, the Marchesini wheels are only $2020. closer to $3000 if you buy ALL our add-ons.

GOJO

Titainium wheel and swing arm spindles and wheel spacers
Carbon race nose fairing
carbon race belly pan
carbon race seat
standard rear hugger removed and fitted duke 390 carbon one
lithium battery
duke 390 top yoke
clip on 's
alloy front sub frame
abs removed
abs rings removed
all trays removed from rear end
mivv ghibli exhaust
wavy front disc
wavy rear disc
alloy rear sprocket
new chain
tyga rear sets
rear sprocket nuts in ti
caliper bolts in ti.
switch gear removed
activ qa throttle
side stand / mirrors / rear pegs off
future jobs = thin out the wiring loom, more ti bolts, id like to make an alloy fuel tank lower in the bike and maybe buy some marchesini wheels (or should i say resist from buying marchesini wheels till april)

Last edited:

zaster

Country flag
Taking a healthy dump the morning of race day can net you a free up to 3 lbs weight reduction :)
An exhaust system modification might net you more though. Removing the utter or expansion chamber will save you close to 15 lbs by itself.

psych0hans

Country flag
1) Do ignition bypass and get rid of the ignition switch
2) Switch out the original triple for a lighter tyga/driven unit
3) Replace stock heavy ass handlebars with clip ons
4) Replace stock gas cap with a quick release one

Last edited:

Andy

Country flag
Wonder how much weight can be lost by replacing all the fasteners, nuts and bolts for titanium?

CDN Duke

Country flag
Wonder how much weight can be lost by replacing all the fasteners, nuts and bolts for titanium?

From doing similar things on bicycles, I would say that you would be looking at about a pound at best and that's optimistic I think. Cost/benefit ratio wouldn't be worth it IMO, perhaps just for select items where there is better bang for buck (brake rotor bolts for example).

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Seven pounds == 1 HP in typical parlance of reduction for acceleration gains...

I hear that skipping the biscuits is a better means of getting faster acceleration, but I try to avoid people who suggest such things. I don't need that kinda negativity in my life. :)

Fat_guy_on_a_little_motorcycle.jpeg

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

Muckabucka

Country flag
I've not tallied it all up, but I'm pretty sure I've saved 2+ lbs with alu and Ti fasteners. Maybe more.

From doing similar things on bicycles, I would say that you would be looking at about a pound at best and that's optimistic I think. Cost/benefit ratio wouldn't be worth it IMO, perhaps just for select items where there is better bang for buck (brake rotor bolts for example).

CDN Duke

Country flag
I've not tallied it all up, but I'm pretty sure I've saved 2+ lbs with alu and Ti fasteners. Maybe more.

Ah, I stand corrected then... which were the biggest pieces? The alu bolts for low stress areas etc probably helped a bit. Do you recall total $ spent for the 2lbs?

Muckabucka

Country flag
I don't know cost. When you start replacing engine mounting bolts, the weight starts to add up. See my earlier posts. Bike weighed 283lbs after it was all said and done.

Ah, I stand corrected then... which were the biggest pieces? The alu bolts for low stress areas etc probably helped a bit. Do you recall total $ spent for the 2lbs?