Radiator Loosing Fluid

naveed

I changed my radiator and removed the thermostat. When I refilled it with water wetter, it filled up pretty quickly with probably about half a liter in the radiator. I filled the about 0.3 liter in the compensating tank. After a few track days and races, I saw that my compensating tank is empty; I checked radiator and I cannot see the fluid as well. I filled up the radiator again and it took probably about a quarter liter to fill up.

My conjecture is that there was air trapped, which caused the cooling system to not full up properly and after I rode the bike, it sucked all the coolant and as there was not enough coolant, the radiator and compensating tank was empty. I cannot see any signs of leak from anywhere, so I don't think it leaked.

I would be very grateful if you have any suggestions or comments about this situation.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
That is possible. It also is possible that your water pump seals are leaking, which is not uncommon on the 390. Check your oil to see if it is a bit high or seems muddy. I will be replacing my seals soon with better seals from a 450. There's a thread about it with the details someplace on this forum.

Last edited:

naveed

Thanks for the help! The oil level is the same as I filled it up and it doesn't look muddy. I will look at it more carefully and see if I need to replace the seals.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
You may not have any problem now. You definitely under filled the system the first time. So the radiator may not actually have lost any coolant.