RC 390 Gear Shaft Problem

gk1985

I recently finished my first 1000 KMs on my RC and gave my bike for first service. As i felt the clutch was a bit hard, i asked the service manager to see if he can do anything about it. the bike was delivered with the clutch action slightly modified, which made the clutch action engage with a slightest pull. I did not have to pull the clutch lever as close to my palm as i used to before. i felt that was fine and after exactly 3 days i noticed the gear lever wouldn't move to first gear and i had to push the lever hard to put it into first gear, i also heard some involuntary noises when i tried to put it in the first gear forcefully. i tried moving the vehicle in 2nd gear and it was smooth and no problems whatsoever were noticed. while in traffic i again tried to put it in the 1st and it worked occasionally. To make sure i do not amplify the problem i did not use the first thereafter . i took a 200 Km ride on that day where i clocked close to 160 KMPH and for most part of the ride i did 120 KMPH . i had no issues. after the ride, I went straight to the service centre and asked him to check if something is terribly wrong. The engineer stepped on the lever and it dont take him much time to ascertain the cause. he told the gear shaft has to be changed. i know it can be replaced free of cost but guys the reasons cited by the service guy was not informative.he told it could be because of various reasons and he doubted stress on the lever or gears. but it's a new bike and i didn't pull stunts on the bike. can you guys share your thoughts on this problem. that will help me take care of the bike in a better way .

PS:Guys i am not an experienced rider, forgive me if i am not using the correct terminology ;)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I recently finished my first 1000 KMs on my RC and gave my bike for first service. As i felt the clutch was a bit hard, i asked the service manager to see if he can do anything about it. the bike was delivered with the clutch action slightly modified, which made the clutch action engage with a slightest pull. I did not have to pull the clutch lever as close to my palm as i used to before. i felt that was fine and after exactly 3 days i noticed the gear lever wouldn't move to first gear and i had to push the lever hard to put it into first gear, i also heard some involuntary noises when i tried to put it in the first gear forcefully. i tried moving the vehicle in 2nd gear and it was smooth and no problems whatsoever were noticed. while in traffic i again tried to put it in the 1st and it worked occasionally. To make sure i do not amplify the problem i did not use the first thereafter . i took a 200 Km ride on that day where i clocked close to 160 KMPH and for most part of the ride i did 120 KMPH . i had no issues. after the ride, I went straight to the service centre and asked him to check if something is terribly wrong. The engineer stepped on the lever and it dont take him much time to ascertain the cause. he told the gear shaft has to be changed. i know it can be replaced free of cost but guys the reasons cited by the service guy was not informative.he told it could be because of various reasons and he doubted stress on the lever or gears. but it's a new bike and i didn't pull stunts on the bike. can you guys share your thoughts on this problem. that will help me take care of the bike in a better way .

PS:Guys i am not an experienced rider, forgive me if i am not using the correct terminology ;)
Without a photo or better description of what the tech said exactly is almost impossible to advise you. Sounds like the lever broke, but that would have impacted more than just first gear also, so not something that makes a lot of sense. If you can share a photo of the lever that's what's needed most... But it sounds like it wasn't likely something you did.

kevinduke

Country flag
Although it's tough to find out the reasons without a photo and a better description but from whatever information you provided, it feels like the service center guy had excessively tightened the clutch cable the first time. So, you had to pull the lever hard for gear shifting. Excess tension in the clutch wire creates excessive rubbing/wear on friction linings. This results in clutch plate burn. That's why you're facing difficulty in shifting. I have published a detailed guide on hard gear shifting- https://motorcycleninja.com/why-is-it-hard-to-shift-gears-on-motorcycle/