RC 390 with Ride by Wire?

psych0hans

Country flag
Could this be true?

http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/10/29/scoop-ktm-duke-390-rc-390-to-get-ride-by-wire/ said:
f6d759f6fb0beef336883dd86392c033-660x330.jpg

SCOOP! KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to get ride-by-wire

Posted by: Parichay Malvankar October 29, 2015 in Bike News, News 0 Comments
KTM is working on their range of 390 motorcycles to make them world-class, not just in power, performance & VFM; but also in terms of equipment.
By March 2016, our sources reveal, that the KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 will come equipped with ‘Ride-By-Wire’ technology.
What is Ride-By-Wire?
There is no direct, physical connection between the throttle butterflies at the engine and the handle bar grip which you twist. In conventional setup, you have a Bowden cable connecting these two points or the carb in older motorcycles.
But in ride-by-wire, the twistgrip operates a transponter which converts the grip movement to an electrical signal. This prompts the ECU what exactly the rider is trying to achieve. It sends electrical signals to the stepper motor which operates the inlet butterflies. In short, the twistgrip is connected to the butterflies with electrical wires & a computer working as a intermediary.

Both the bikes are expected to be powered by the same 373.2cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled petrol motor producing 44 HP of power.
There’s more that is cooking at the KTM plant. We will bring you more updates shortly.
Expect this updated range of KTM bikes to be displayed at the EICMA show.

Diploman

I hope this (presumed) improvement will do something to mitigate the stalling issue which affects a non-negligible percentage of RC's and Dukes.

Ryanthegreat1

No thanks. Glad I have a throttle cable.

I guess that could open them up to do traction control but for 44hp? Is that really needed?

Call me old fashioned but I prefer a cable as well. I really don't see the need of that on this bike. The RC Cup bike maybe perhaps just as a tech gadget. The last F1 race I watched had a few cars having problems and dropping out of the race due to their wireless throttles and supposed interference issues. Don't need throttle issues while enjoying a good ride. Technology marches on but simplicity is best.

Seth

Country flag
Drive by wire has always been sketchy to me. But with the advancements of technology I think I could trust it.

raminlive

Who wouldn't be really happy in just replacing a cable rather than expensive piece of electronic gadgetry when grounded...!

ArkansasDave

I guess that could open them up to do traction control but for 44hp? Is that really needed?

I've slid and spun up the rear. My buddy almost highsided my bike. These bikes are also really popular in India, which if I understand correctly rains a lot. Switchable TC for a street bike is never a bad thing.

emeglasson

I'm of the opinion they should spend their resources improving the build quality of the current bike, and redesigning the headlights!! That said, I still love my little 390.

Treachery

Country flag

Agreed. Complexity and expense that I'll pass on with a bike this size/power.

I'm of the opinion they should spend their resources improving the build quality of the current bike, and redesigning the headlights!! That said, I still love my little 390.

^^^^^
All of this.

Ryanthegreat1

Yeah I would rather have higher quality components than drive by wire.

Sure you can get the rear to spin up... being ham fisted.... on cold tires.... and a damp road.

All this nanny tech drives me up the wall.

DeathFromAbove

^^ agreed.
Drive by wire sucks for most applications. Don't even get me started on the stupid programming built into the one in my Cooper. Even the sport mode is trash.
I like having direct control of the throttle blade(instead of the fuel economy, waranty and safety nannies back at the manufacturer controlling it for me)...aftermarket ignition or fuel cut is fine for traction control and can be added by the end user if deemed necessary...

=maz=

Country flag
^^^this....all day, every day.

As for TC. :(
I would have to be a ham-fisted beginner to need it...no need to waste the money, that would up the price of the bike, for no gain. See the above point^

NY$E_ORANGE1010

^^^this....all day, every day.

I must say as I do agree with you maz and emeglasson both strongly due to the amount of " complaints " " issues " I have seen and read that a lot of owners may have had. But I must disagree on the fact of life he head lights I love them maybe if u gave a more in depth on what you dislike and would like to see a change towards the lights I'd have a better understanding.

Last edited:

DeathFromAbove

^^ agreed on the headlights. They're pretty cool and definitely unique. I'm glad it doesn't look like every other bike out there

NY$E_ORANGE1010

Okay so all in all the bike is aesthetically pleasing to the eye of any changes need to be done very minor to none now on the mechanical side I can only voice my opinion to an extent in the fact being I am not an owner unfortunately but will be in the near future. But from extensive reading most owners from what I see are suffering from over heating * which I assume is taken care of from a post on here with a change in filter and box though the modding of an air box I feel should not be a worry or something a buyer of a new bike of any sort should have to do.
that being said I feel as though some people aren't giving the KTM GODS the credit they deserve on this spectacular motor vehicle, a lot of complaining. I mean they've given a choice to those who are aware to be different out there for a decent price I thank them and I can't wait to purchase mine I rly looked forward to the 2016 release but with the drive by wire in the mix I think I'm leaning towards the 15.