RC390 budget commuter/kart track

Yep, it's how to explain it to them. You can be out there trying to get podium or bust like Marc Marquez or you can try to improve your skills.

[video=youtube_share;aGt2CPQxlGo]https://youtu.be/aGt2CPQxlGo[/video]

Here it is in B group at Thunderhill West. The video started off with following another RC360 with a Yoshimura dual exhaust and Ohlins rear shock, at the very least. It pulled away from me easily on the straight.

Day before the track day, the Trail Text TTO bolt broke out of the blue. I contacted Trail Tech via email.

20170916_165116.jpg

You'll notice in the video my temp gauge reads "--". I was confident based on the last track day's performance with the cooling system.

isaac_

[video=youtube_share;aGt2CPQxlGo]https://youtu.be/aGt2CPQxlGo[/video]

Here it is in B group at Thunderhill West. The video started off with following another RC360 with a Yoshimura dual exhaust and Ohlins rear shock, at the very least. It pulled away from me easily on the straight.

Homeboy in front of you at the beginning needs to learn to tuck!

I didn't think he was particularly running away from you. Seemed he just had better momentum out of the last turn onto the straight.

One observation... there seemed to be A LOT of swerving and multiple mid-corner corrections. It's a general comment on everyone featured.

Homeboy in front of you at the beginning needs to learn to tuck!

I didn't think he was particularly running away from you. Seemed he just had better momentum out of the last turn onto the straight.

One observation... there seemed to be A LOT of swerving and multiple mid-corner corrections. It's a general comment on everyone featured.

Thanks for the feedback! First time out on this track, 4th session and I am still definitely learning. I know I can carry a lot more speed and stay more consistent in corners. I'm fully confident in the stock suspension still too.

Here's the last video from 9/17/17 I have to upload, from session 7.

[video=youtube_share;ibENlqu1_HA]https://youtu.be/ibENlqu1_HA[/video]

m3hl

Country flag
Love T-hill. I have only done the east layout though. I am concerned that the RC may be a little slow for it, but I am glad to see it's still fun.

isaac_

Thanks for the feedback! First time out on this track, 4th session and I am still definitely learning. I know I can carry a lot more speed and stay more consistent in corners. I'm fully confident in the stock suspension still too.

Here's the last video from 9/17/17 I have to upload, from session 7.

[video=youtube_share;ibENlqu1_HA]https://youtu.be/ibENlqu1_HA[/video]

Around the 5 mins mark... did you start to get frustrated being behind the green bike? Your paths were criss-crossing quite a bit. I haven't ridden thunderhill, but i know criss-crossing lines is just a wreck waiting to happen. Especially for the guy or girl that may be behind you. Try and be predictable, smooth with your inputs. If you get caught behind a train of riders, can you signal to pit in and ride down hot pit to give everyone some room? I think you were a bit more consistent when you had space in front of you.

This track seems to have a couple of S's... work on your quick turn. Get the bike turned in quickly and not lazily. Also, around the 7 mins mark, pay attention to what the instructors are doing entering/exiting the last corner before the straight. It appears you're taking way too shallow of a line/apexing early. They seem to be driving out further and then quickly turning in to get the bike pointing down track. Otherwise, looking good. I hope you're having fun out there!

Around the 5 mins mark... did you start to get frustrated being behind the green bike? Your paths were criss-crossing quite a bit. I haven't ridden thunderhill, but i know criss-crossing lines is just a wreck waiting to happen. Especially for the guy or girl that may be behind you. Try and be predictable, smooth with your inputs. If you get caught behind a train of riders, can you signal to pit in and ride down hot pit to give everyone some room? I think you were a bit more consistent when you had space in front of you.

This track seems to have a couple of S's... work on your quick turn. Get the bike turned in quickly and not lazily. Also, around the 7 mins mark, pay attention to what the instructors are doing entering/exiting the last corner before the straight. It appears you're taking way too shallow of a line/apexing early. They seem to be driving out further and then quickly turning in to get the bike pointing down track. Otherwise, looking good. I hope you're having fun out there!

Girl at the 5:00 is a friend, so I intentionally stayed behind her for a bit. Whoops, noticed I was all over the place trying not to overrun her as well.

That's good feedback, I've been so cautious of diving this bike in and it's fully capable. I just had a fear of losing the front end.

After going through the bike, the left frame slider lost a bolt and was wobbling badly. Locktite those puppies! I'm glad I gave the bike a good wash and once over before taking it to the street again.

Trail Tech customer service sent me a replacement bolt sensor. The instruction to tighten it is using RTV to help prevent leak, finger tight plus 1/4 turn. Hopefully this one won't break/leak.

Last edited:
Well, it happened. Low sided in a L/R/L chicane. Not sure what happened, but I think the front washed out because I had too much weight on the bars. The T-Rex sliders and Chinese axle sliders did amazing. Some scratches on the belly pan, bar end, brake lever, and broke my rear brake peg.

20171021_162259.jpg20171021_162320.jpg20171021_162323.jpg20171021_162326.jpgreceived_10212734659713017.jpg20171021_184231.jpg

Overall, very satisfied with the bikes survivability in a crash, although it was a low side at full lean. My Sedici gloves held great, my Sedici suit was pretty horrible. Glad it wasn't on a big track. I've crashed in Cortech, Joe Rocket, and Icon. Sedici faired the worst.

I have the eBay rearsets I was going to install today, so this is a good time to break the brake pedal!

Last edited:
Just got done installing the eBay rearset that many before has installed. Definitely a lot of trial and error. But I'm happy with how they look and feel.
20171022_005858.jpg20171022_005846.jpg20171022_005807.jpg20171022_012217.jpg20171025_180612.jpg

Last edited:
Got instructions from the seller finally for the rearset!
2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg

I also ordered the Duke chin fairing and exhaust cover so those are on the way.

I have track days on Nov 12 and 13 at Thunderhill. I'm going to get some Alpha 13s and give them a shot. The Rosso II's have been breaking loose on me a bit too often, but very predictable.

Last edited:
4H4A3050.JPGFTD_0690.JPG

Tons of fun riding at Thunderhill these past 2 days. They did a special where a group is 400cc and below on Sunday.

Did the big Thunderhill East immediately after, which has a lot of high speed pulls that the RC lacked.

Dunlop Alpha 13s worked great. They took a lap or two to warm up (50-60° temperature). I feel like their turn ins feel sluggishs, but I had to drop the cold PSI to 26/27 due to the colder weather. I'm thinking when the tires have more PSIs they may transition quicker.

https://youtu.be/HH-qMzNH-rg

Last edited:
Swapped out the bottom fairings for the Duke 390 exhaust cover and chin fairing. This allows for a much better clearance without the $200+ pricetag of the aftermarket units.
20171119_164207.jpg20171119_164232.jpg20171119_164235.jpg

m3hl

Country flag
Swapped out the bottom fairings for the Duke 390 exhaust cover and chin fairing. This allows for a much better clearance without the $200+ pricetag of the aftermarket units.

Hm. this is pretty interesting. I was going to leave mine off but this might be good for $20.

[video=youtube_share;wE_30KMnVsg]https://youtu.be/wE_30KMnVsg[/video]

Well, I cheated on the RC. I got the RSV4 Factory and wanted to try that out at the track. It did pretty well but a lot more handful than the RC. Much slower transitions.

I also got clip ons which required me to chop the top tree clamp and make major adjustments for clearance issues. Bottom line, the factory bodywork doesn't work well with any drop in the bar controls at all. It hits the side fairings, battery cover, and headlight bracket.
20180326_140038.jpg
20180328_174409.jpg

Last edited: