Rc390 not starting. need serious help!

rudra2k14

Help needed from expert.
Suddenly my Rc390 refuses to start. When I’m turning on the key there is no sound of fuel injector nor the engine/self start is cranking.

Horn/indicators/dipper light working fine.
Display showing low fuel and hi coolant temperature though there is enough fuel and the engine is cold.

Today morning i rode my bike for a clean wash, till then it was fine. Problem started from evening.

Last edited:

yourlastvisit

Help needed from expert.
Suddenly my Rc390 refuses to start. When I’m turning on the key there is no sound of fuel injector nor the engine/self start is cranking.

Horn/indicators/dipper light working fine.
Display showing low fuel and hi coolant temperature though there is enough fuel and the engine is cold.

Today morning i rode my bike for a clean wash, till then it was fine. Problem started from evening.

Did you power wash it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourlastvisit

Is the engine will be fine?

Definitely, something’s definitely wrong with one or more sensors due to water seeping in. I can say this with confidence because the same had occurred to me 2 years back with the Honda CBR250R, and the seepage ended up causing my ECU to short circuit.

rudra2k14

Definitely, something’s definitely wrong with one or more sensors due to water seeping in. I can say this with confidence because the same had occurred to me 2 years back with the Honda CBR250R, and the seepage ended up causing my ECU to short circuit.

Thankyou for the suggestion

ShawnB

I would jump the the starter solenoid with the ignition on (starter solenoid below #23)
Connect positive and negative terminals with something metal like a paperclip or a tool.

If it cranks
Then it would check the ignition switch
Pull apart the housing on the throttle side handlebar where the switch is and jump the switch
If your fuel pump spools up and the bike now cranks and fires theres your problem
Order a new switch and replace after
b1ff8e35704ff4e9ffc24582ee56a355.jpg
95ace02ee747e38803e4da48711e8662.jpg

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk
03b1aa6449b5149dcce3449163d4b454.jpg

Last edited:

rudra2k14

I would jump the the starter solenoid with the ignition on (starter solenoid below #23)
Connect positive and negative terminals with something metal like a paperclip or a tool.

If it cranks
Then it would check the ignition switch
Pull apart the housing on the throttle side handlebar where the switch is and jump the switch
If your fuel pump spools up and the bike now cranks and fires theres your problem
Order a new switch and replace after
b1ff8e35704ff4e9ffc24582ee56a355.jpg
95ace02ee747e38803e4da48711e8662.jpg

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk
03b1aa6449b5149dcce3449163d4b454.jpg

The problem found out to be with relay.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If you aren't getting any noise of the fuel injector priming and you power washed the bike, you have water which is likely shorting the primary electrical. You need to sit down with a voltmeter and start at the basics. Are you getting power at the primary fuse? Are you getting power at the right handlebar switch in and out? Are you getting power to the ECU? You may just need to park it in the sun and let it sit for a day or two and hope your water manages to evaporate out on it's own. Otherwise you are going to have to start pulling EVERY connection, cover the connections with dielectric grease, and plugging everything back together. You may have shorted out your ECU, in which case you'll have to take it to the dealer for testing and/or replacement.

One should NEVER power wash motorcycles. Ever! :(

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The problem found out to be with relay.

In 30+ years, I have NEVER seen the starter relay fail. Ever. Not. ONCE. You were certainly having an issue with getting signal TO the relay. The starter relay alone would also have not been the cause of the bike not priming the fuel injection system and showing lights on the dash/bars. You had water in the electrical connections, and by jostling them around managed to work the short out... but the problem being the relay itself, no chance.

rudra2k14

In 30+ years, I have NEVER seen the starter relay fail. Ever. Not. ONCE. You were certainly having an issue with getting signal TO the relay. The starter relay alone would also have not been the cause of the bike not priming the fuel injection system and showing lights on the dash/bars. You had water in the electrical connections, and by jostling them around managed to work the short out... but the problem being the relay itself, no chance.

The pump was only running after I used both ends of a small wire in the socket of the relay. Now somehow I managed to start the bike and ride it to the KTM workshop i.e 40km from my home.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The pump was only running after I used both ends of a small wire in the socket of the relay. Now somehow I managed to start the bike and ride it to the KTM workshop i.e 40km from my home.

Wait, you shorted the starter relay to be ALWAYS ON?!?!!!! I hope you didn't burn out your starter or fry the leads going to it. In any event, I'm sure your dealer will get you sorted out. I'm glad you managed to get it to the dealer, but I would have opted to recommend that you trailer it there if you have this sort of problem again... and never power wash the bike again. No good will ever come of that.

rudra2k14

Wait, you shorted the starter relay to be ALWAYS ON?!?!!!! I hope you didn't burn out your starter or fry the leads going to it. In any event, I'm sure your dealer will get you sorted out. I'm glad you managed to get it to the dealer, but I would have opted to recommend that you trailer it there if you have this sort of problem again... and never power wash the bike again. No good will ever come of that.

Is this a very major issue for my bike?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Is this a very major issue for my bike?

It can be, but given how you were able to ride it to the shop most likely they just need to clean the connections. You can use an electronics cleaner like CRC Quick Dry. That's what I used on my dirtbikes in the Pacific Northwest where it seemed like you were ONLY able to ride in the wet and rain. LOL Once all the electrical connections are clean and dry, then you can put a small amount of dielectric grease on the male connections, plug them in, unplug, clean the male end, and re-connect. This will leave a small amount of the grease in the female connector, which is what you want. The ECU seems to have not shorted out, given the bike started and ran. The issue then would be if the starter was shorted and running full time or not. The starter contact relay was good, because you were able to hit the starter button and the bike started. My question then was if you shorted the starter relay full time, such that the starter motor was ALWAYS running. That would be bad. If it only ran when you hit the starter button, then the relay likely just needed to be cleaned between the batter and your key switch. Sorting out electrical gremlins after any vehicle has been power washed is a damned nightmare!!! This is why I've always just made it policy to quote the job to check, clean, and grease EVERY connection... lest you end up with a bike that keeps coming back with one gremlin after another after another. You can't be spraying any vehicle with a power washer where water might be able to be directed at an electrical connector. These connectors are generally only rated for water pressure at say 2.5 of the vehicles top speed... for say going 100mph into a 75mph headwind. Bike manufacturers will setup big test areas with pressure spraying from every direction and the bike needs to start and run flawlessly... but all bets are off once you point a pressure washers spray at a connection at say 250bar!!! nothing short of a NASA connection is going to tolerate that sort of nonsense. :)

Wait and see what your shop tech says. They have a big job in front of them if they are going to repair it properly with checking, cleaning, greasing, and reconnecting EVERY connection you accidentally sprayed water into. If they do the work correctly, and there's no reason to suspect that they won't, it'll be fine. It won't be cheap, but the bike should be OK.

rudra2k14

Workshop technician finally solved my issue. They changed the wiring and i got a new chain sprocket, engine gasket, clutch wire and bike got full serviced. [emoji1591]

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Workshop technician finally solved my issue. They changed the wiring and i got a new chain sprocket, engine gasket, clutch wire and bike got full serviced. [emoji1591]

Very good news indeed! Can you report what was specifically done for wiring? So that others may (potentially) benefit from the lesson learned if/when this happens to someone else?