Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm waiting to see the published Dyno results with the various experimentation on what special sauce bits get ya' what. :)

Tom

Homedepot paint scheme level = maximum

2 quick questions:
Is that radiator blocked off or is that the resolution of the photo playing tricks with em?
Are these bikes not limited/detuned for power restrictions?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Homedepot paint scheme level = maximum

2 quick questions:
Is that radiator blocked off or is that the resolution of the photo playing tricks with em?
Are these bikes not limited/detuned for power restrictions?
I think you are confusing the cup bike with the World Super Sport bike. This bike is one of 50 in the world and came straight from the factory KTM efforts. It runs dual radiators with a block off in between them. There are no power restrictions on these models but they do get altered rpm limits or weight limits based on current class rules. I promise KTM didn't cut any corners when they painted the carbon bodywork!

Tom

Have you had a chance to take a look at the intake port geometry on the head? I'm curious to see how the cylinder head compares with ours, especially cam profiles and vlave sizes.

Do you know what octane these motors are tuned for? Is the ECU unlocked? I would love to see a comparison of a consumer based bike vs this on a 93 map. Maybe swap the ECU from this to a regular RC390 with just an intake and exhaust, and see what the power difference is between the bikes.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Have you had a chance to take a look at the intake port geometry on the head? I'm curious to see how the cylinder head compares with ours, especially cam profiles and vlave sizes.

Do you know what octane these motors are tuned for? Is the ECU unlocked? I would love to see a comparison of a consumer based bike vs this on a 93 map. Maybe swap the ECU from this to a regular RC390 with just an intake and exhaust, and see what the power difference is between the bikes.
This is a Supersport bike meaning production based components, so this is a stock 2018 KTM RC 390 along with all the components within. They are tuned for Sunoco Apex fuel which was the spec fuel for the Moto America Junior Cup last year.

neonmarine

So what's the biggest difference in how it makes more power from 6k to redline? Must be more internals than the regular RC, APEX isn't going to add that much power on a 373cc single...

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So what's the biggest difference in how it makes more power from 6k to redline? Must be more internals than the regular RC, APEX isn't going to add that much power on a 373cc single...

Haven't had time to dissect exactly what makes the difference. It's somewhere in the exhaust, radiator, 0W20 oil, and whatever may be hidden in the engine.

Tom

That's what I'm thinking, that extra power has gotta be extra timimg for the higher octane fuel or something.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
That's what I'm thinking, that extra power has gotta be extra timimg for the higher octane fuel or something.
You can't add 4hp of timing and Apex is only 95 octane so its not super exotic. Obviously timing and fueling will effect HP but not to this degree.

Tom

The AFR curve is pretty interessting, are they running lean from 5k to 7k RPM?
Can you give us some more details about what parts you have on your comparison bike?

It looks like adjusting the cam timing via the cam gears is allowed in the rules. I'm wondering if there is some dark magic going on here with overlap on the valves?

Last edited: