RC690 is already being sold in North America

todayis1984

They launched it without a fairing under the Husqvarna flag, called it the "701 vitpilen" and you guys all missed it, seriously though, if someone slapped RC390 fairings on a 701 vitpilen would it not be a RC690 ?

m3hl

Country flag
The 701 is basically a Duke 690. There are a few RC690 kits/builds available for purchase.

todayis1984

I Disagree, the 701 vitpilen has all the attributes of a sportbike and shares all the parts of the RC390, clip on bars, slipper clutch, ergonomics of a sport bike bot the Duke. Yes, it shares all the same parts as the Duke 690 just as the Duke 390 shares parts with the RC390, rims, swing arm ect, what separates them though ? Exactly, ergonomics ! The Duke 690 has risers not clip ons.

Many have asked "why do they not make an RC690?" What they are asking is for a sister bike that shares parts just as the RC390 and Duke 390 do, but they are asking for those common parts from an RC690 to be set up like a sportbike like the RC390. I'm pointing out that they did and besides being naked without the fairing the Vitpilen 701 is in every way rocking the exact same differences to the Duke 690 that the RC390 is to the Duke 390.

John390

the 701 is basically the Duke690, not the RC. No fairings, same basic suspension and brakes as the Duke 690.

the 401 is the same as the Duke390, but again, no fairings, Duke suspension and seating position.

I do agree on the clipons, like an RC, but there are two versions of the 401 and 701

Treachery

Country flag
Agree: No fairing, not an RC. Husqvarna? Not a KTM, regardless of badging, with an accompanying price premium and fewer dealers. Pass all the way around.

Andy

Country flag
It’s just to further the Husky brand. It’s the same with the crossers and things like the SMC 690 and the Husqvarna 701.

They even have a Moto 3 bike which is just the KTM with Husky logos.

I did think of building a Husqvarna 390 from a salvage bike, paint frame and wheels lumo yellow, bodywork white and for some engine cases from the 401.

Pointless but would look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John390

actually, from what I was told, the Husky bikes are made in Austria, whereas the smaller KTMs are made in India. I'd say thats at least a possible upgrade.

green_bread

Country flag
The Huskys are built on the Duke platform, period. If you want proof, look at the fact that it has a bolt on subframe. Now, tell me.. which of the KTMs had a bolt on subframe?

todayis1984

Lol it's not that I'm saying it's an exact thing, it's more than just a bolt on sub frame that they differ, the 390/401 frames (both bolt on and welded sub frame variants) and 590/701 frames are completely different, I'm just under the impression that the Vitpilen shares more attributes with the RC than the Duke, both 390 KTMs are based off the same platform but the RC shares ergonomics, clip ons, you ride the Vitpilen in more of a RC position than upright like the Duke, I guess seeing my RC so many times with the fairings off, I see more similarities with my RC and the Vitpilen once the tail and plastics are off then a Duke with its upright bars on risers.

Either way I dont care, but it does make me wish they would make and RC Vitpilen variant with blue, yellow and white full fairing �� it makes me think about how good all these Duke 690's with low low miles for under $4k on OfferUp would look with a fairing kit, clip ons and rear sets ����

Last edited:

todayis1984

Yes correct the Husqvarnas are based off the LC4 platform just like the Duke 690 so the frames and motorcycles are the closest related, subframe bolt or not (truth be told the Vitpilen's bolt on subframe is actually aluminum), it's definitely closer to Duke 690 than a RC390 in that respect, but I'm comparing it as the 373cc RC390 is the sportbike version of the Duke 390 so is the Husqvarnas Vitpilen LC4 engine and frame would be the sportbike version of the Duke 690 in its LC4 frame/motor family, the Vitpilen just is naked without our RC's fairing.

Did that make sense ? Lol

green_bread

Country flag
Isn't the 390 version of the Husky the 401? I guess I don't follow what you're saying because to me, it looks like Husky 401 = Duke 390, Husky 701 = Duke 690. They just put on some different plastics, a different top triple clamp, etc. The frame is the big difference between the Duke and the RC though. I've ridden both bikes on a track at a pretty decent pace and I can tell you the arrangement of the rear section of that frame makes a very big difference in the way the bike handles. That's why I'm disputing the fact that the Husky bikes can really be compared to the RC in any way.

Tom

The spy shots of the "2020 RC390" show a bolted frame with a 690 exhaust routing under the bike. Who knows, but maybe they will bring an actual 690 super sport to production. It would be strange though, as there have been kits around for the duke 690 to look like a sportbike for years. KTM never seemed to have an interest in that niche though. Instead, they seem to be trying to find excuses to cram the 790 engine into existing lineups. The 790 adventure doesn't make much sense, now that the 690 is a re-badged husky. The composite rear frame/fuel tank makes the new 690 adventure more nimble on the trails, and the second balance shaft addresses the complaints of excess vibration. The 790 would be too wide and heavy on most trails, and comparing with the instant torque of a large bore thumper when exploring new terrain just proves the 690 would be more forgiving.

In a super-sport, however, the 790 makes perfect sense. Lots of room to allow the RPMs to build up horsepower, and consistently higher travel speeds makes the added weight negligible. KTM has already said that a liter sized motor does not belong on a street driven sportbike, maybe a 790 is what they were deferring to.

Last edited:

John390

I sincerely, and with all my heart, hope they keep it under 750. Insurance in my area makes it too expensive to ride 751 and above. I'd love a Duke 790, or an RC built on that engine, but I won't buy one

Tom

Insurance in the states can be just as expensive. When I first priced out insurance for 600s and above the total per year came down to something like $5k a year for a new rider. The RC390 with full coverage was $1500. One of my co-workers stated that most of that cost is with the medical coverage for the rider, and that the health insurance with our company would cover a motorcycle accident. Not sure if it's true for all health insurance plans, but sure enough, removing medical coverage from my motorcycle insurance saved my $950 a year. The other large chunk is full coverage for damage to the bike. Most financing companies require this type of coverage, but if you purchase the bike with no finance, you can save a lot by modifying the deductible and amount covered in the event the bike is totaled.

If I knew all of this before hand, I would have purchased a 600, but knowing how these bikes are with some mods, I think I still made the right choice.

The weight and instant torque of these bikes give them a very wide margin of error on mountain/canyon roads. Riding with my friends (who all own larger super-sports) is fun, because it's almost like I have cheat codes in the twisty roads. They can pull away slightly on straight segments, but in the turns I can ride right past them without feeling like I'm pushing too hard at all. Of course, these are public roads, and none of us are squids. I'm sure on a closed course it would be different, but I literally have to share my bike with others most of the time we go riding in the mountains. It's just that much fun to carry so much more speed through a turn while still feeling safe:
Went into a turn a little too hot? a little rear brake fixes that right up. Too high of a gear for your exit speed? Just pin the throttle.

Last edited: